ADVERTISEMENT

Baby Formula Shortage

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
Great...

Democratic Representative Rosa DeLauro also said she was concerned the Food and Drug Administration - which regulates formula makers - had responded "far too slowly" to the issue, and to the reports of problems at the Abbott factory in Michigan, which remains closed.

Amazon subscribe and save has been the only way for us to consistently get stock. Only one week did we get an email saying they might be out, but it still showed. Good luck on shelves. Hopefully solids come before it gets worse.

I saw Psaki on the news last night in the defensive but defiant position again where they're ramping up production, monitoring, etc.

ffs, fix something. Why does everything need to turn into a near catastrophe or actual catastrophe until the Biden admin will weigh in?

Not every mother is able to breast feed. Formula is completely fine if desired.

Also, we give President's way too much credit and request for power. Why is it the President's job to manage formula? I thought Capitalism was supposed to respond to supply and demand. That's what all my Republican friends always claim.

Also, we give President's way too much credit and request for power. Why is it the President's job to manage formula? I thought Capitalism was supposed to respond to supply and demand. That's what all my Republican friends always claim.
KC is correct. Not much the government can do unless the FDA and CDC are being tardy with getting the contamination issue resolved and the Michigan plant back on line.

Reactions: lucas80
KC is correct. Not much the government can do unless the FDA and CDC are being tardy with getting the contamination issue resolved and the Michigan plant back on line.
Prior to formula and even after, mothers who didn't breastfeed used evaporated milk with additions of I don't know what but it worked. Plenty of people alive now who were fed that.

• Haha
Reactions: Wendy79
Only government related complaint is with the FDA slow leaking it.....don't know how valid that is.

True but many can and chose not to

I was checking out in Walgreens yesterday:

Lady comes up: "Do you know if there's a shipment of XYZ brand coming?"

Cashier: "Is that the covid test?"

Lady: "No, it's baby formula"

Cashier: "Oh, I think there's a shortage?"

Lady: "Yeah, I'm well aware of that....."

She wasn't too amused, first I had heard of it and now it's reported here on HORT.

/csb

Reactions: dgordo
I saw Psaki on the news last night in the defensive but defiant position again where they're ramping up production, monitoring, etc.

ffs, fix something. Why does everything need to turn into a near catastrophe or actual catastrophe until the Biden admin will weigh in?
So, you are a big proponent of state controlled manufacturing, huh?

When did companies stop acting responsively to the marketplace, and their customers, and then seemingly only react when the government flogs them to do so?
JIT. Low inventory. Outsourcing. It's all coming back to bite consumers in the ass. But, eventually supplies will come back on line, costs will go down, and nobody will learn a lesson.

Sure, in the same sense that I support the various iterations of food stamps that we have to ensure that nobody goes hungry in this country
The only thing I could see the Government doing is trying to make people aware of the shortage, but at the same time you don't want to scare parents into buying up all the formula and making it worse. However, giving some guidelines on how to maybe safely make alternatives could be helpful while they also offer assistance to that factory who's shut down to assist in any way to get it back up.

But supply chain issues are not any President's doing unless they tried to control or overly regulate manufacturing. In this case we had Covid which shut down economies worldwide leading to a reduced demand for many things (Although Formula probably isn't one of those) so we've got both a case of reduced inventory, covid shutdowns still affecting ports worldwide, and a sudden spike in demand as people go back to normal. Then you add a major war on top and it's all setup for a rough year or so. However this is all temporary.

Reactions: billanole
When did companies stop acting responsively to the marketplace, and their customers, and then seemingly only react when the government flogs them to do so?
It's amazing how many people spout off without knowing the issue.

The only thing I could see the Government doing is trying to make people aware of the shortage, but at the same time you don't want to scare parents into buying up all the formula and making it worse. However, giving some guidelines on how to maybe safely make alternatives could be helpful while they also offer assistance to that factory who's shut down to assist in any way to get it back up.

But supply chain issues are not any President's doing unless they tried to control or overly regulate manufacturing. In this case we had Covid which shut down economies worldwide leading to a reduced demand for many things (Although Formula probably isn't one of those) so we've got both a case of reduced inventory, covid shutdowns still affecting ports worldwide, and a sudden spike in demand as people go back to normal. Then you add a major war on top and it's all setup for a rough year or so. However this is all temporary.

What the hell did any of this have to do with COVID, or supply chain or a war?!

Babies died. CDC made a michigan plant shutdown and go through massive cleaning. That led to empty warehouses, that led to empty shelves.

Reactions: mnole03
Abbott is having production problems due to contamination found at the factory in February. They haven't yet reopened their Michigan plant.
This.
And as to the competition, (1) plants have capacities and are generally already run to max efficiency, (2) it is an incredibly concentrated market, such that taking a major supplier offline can cause major problems, (3) the companies are loathe to have huge stockpiles for fear of being accused by breastfeeding zealots of wanting to supplant natural feeding. If anything, oligopoly rather than fda regulation is problem here. The exact same thing happened about ten years ago to iv fluids and injectables when fda shut down the Bedford plant of bi.

Perhaps if the US joined the rest of the world and offered paid maternity leave more women could breastfeed. Surely the pro life party can get on board with making it possible for more moms to have the time to establish a milk supply. Maybe even get baby to the point where solids can be introduced.
Nope, have the baby and get back to work you freeloaders!!

Reactions: pjhawk and 3boysmom
Perhaps if the US joined the rest of the world and offered paid maternity leave more women could breastfeed. Surely the pro life party can get on board with making it possible for more moms to have the time to establish a milk supply. Maybe even get baby to the point where solids can be introduced.

Even then, there are babies who can't take breast milk, regular formula, or any animal milk. There's a particular type of formula that is really hard if not impossible to find right now...PurAmino hypoallergenic formula.

My no pic wife used to have freezers full of that liquid gold. It’s a shame the government won’t allow women to sell their breast milk.

Even then, there are babies who can't take breast milk, regular formula, or any animal milk. There's a particular type of formula that is really hard if not impossible to find right now...PurAmino hypoallergenic formula.
You think that’s bad?
Try finding some PurAmino hypoallergenic expealidocious!

• Haha
Reactions: KFsdisciple
Oh absolutely. Not everyone can or wants to. And many who would like to struggle maintaining their supply when they go back to work. But the same people who think everyone should just breastfeed also believe every pregnant woman should be forced to give birth and paid leave should never be a thing. I can’t imagine what these poor parents are going through not knowing if they will be able to feed their babies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT