ADVERTISEMENT

Back to the future

A

anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

A bleacher report article following the 2012 season that saw Iowa go 4-8 makes interesting reading this week. Among the 10 points it analyzes, at least nine seem to be as relevant today as eight years ago, and that's not a good thing. One of the article's 10 points says Iowa needs to establish an offensive identity. Sound familiar?

It goes on to discuss Iowa's consistent failure to stop the other team in the fourth quarter and its lack of a pass rush. I tried to insert the link, but to no avail. Anyway, it was interesting to see how almost nothing has changed since that article was posted. That's football.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, yeah, I hear Iowa doesn't have an offensive "identity".

Wisconsin has an offensive identity - bash the crap out of you on the ground, and throw effectively enough so you can't put 11 guys in the box.

Some of the Big 12 have an identity - throw on every down, and occasionally mix in a draw play. Alabama and Clemson have identities - load the field with talent so everything works,

Fans want the Hawks to be unpredictable, balanced - but now they don't have an identity? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Hawk and Awe
No, they don't. And they haven't had for most of the last 22 years. I guess you haven't been paying attention. Like Yogi said, "You can observe a lot just by watching." Try it sometime. LOL

Not having an offensive identity is halfway acceptable in your first year with a new OC who came from outside the program....not so much when your OC is in his 4th year; has been with the program as a player, coach or at least an insider for 19 years, and is the heir apparent to take over the head job.

Predominantly on the backs of outstanding defenses. Conversely most of the 33% that were losses could be pinned, at least in large part, on poor offensive play. Purdue a couple of years ago where we lost 38-36 is one of the only games that I can think of where one could definitively say that our offense did enough to reasonably win the game but the Hawks still lost. Maybe Wisconsin that same year and Penn State in a couple games against them

Offensive identity, no offensive identity, I don’t really care at the end of the day if the offense is putting up points and bailing out the defense from time to time. That hasn’t really happened in the past decade though
Iowa has won 67% of their games since that article was written.

Last edited:
A team that wants to establish an effective running game yet regularly finishes in the lower half of the conference in average ypc.

Reactions: RomanHawk
Seriously, bringing up an article from 8 years ago?? WTH?
What do they say about last year an a top 15 team and 15+ years ago when Iowa was finishing in top 10- 'not much has changed at Iowa, they are still a really good program!'

FYI- when teams are winning they are usually doing good things and when they are losing (or lost 1 game) they are doing bad things. You can read and write the same articles (it doesn't matter the year).

Some of you guys are just the worst.

Man it feels good to read people bitch about something other than Trump and COVID.

We absolutely have an offensive identity. Success relies on execution. It falls apart with mistakes.

What is an offensive identity? Does that mean unbalanced? "We're a running team" or "We're a passing team"? I really don't understand what that means or how it can be good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT