ADVERTISEMENT

Bad gas?

The Tradition

HB King
Apr 23, 2002
So, I filled up the tank a couple of days ago and immediately noticed the engine wasn't running the same as it did when I rolled up to the pump. Was running 93 octane and filled up with 93 octane. Yesterday it seemed better but today it seems sort of "off" again. Like the computer is having trouble finding the right timing. This is a 2024 Mazda CX-5 Carbon Turbo. If those jackasses sold me bad gas and it fouls my engine I'm going to go ballistic.

Assuming something is wrong with the gas, what should or could I possibly do about it, other than running the tank down and refilling from a different gas station?

Last edited:
So, I filled up the tank a couple of days ago and immediately noticed the engine wasn't running the same as it did when I rolled up to the pump. Was running 93 octane and filled up with 93 octane. Yesterday it seemed better but today it seems sort of "off" again. Like the computer is having trouble finding the right timing. This is a 2024 Carbon Turbo. If those jackasses sold me bad gas and it fouls my engine I'm going to go ballistic.

Assuming something is wrong with the gas, what should or could I possibly do about it, other than running the tank down and refilling from a different gas station?
Why do you run 93 octane? Try putting a can of Seafoam in your tank.

on fire fart GIF

So, I filled up the tank a couple of days ago and immediately noticed the engine wasn't running the same as it did when I rolled up to the pump. Was running 93 octane and filled up with 93 octane. Yesterday it seemed better but today it seems sort of "off" again. Like the computer is having trouble finding the right timing. This is a 2024 Carbon Turbo. If those jackasses sold me bad gas and it fouls my engine I'm going to go ballistic.

Did you contact the store you bought the gas from? There is a small chance that they’d just received a delivery and some water or sediment had been stirred up if the tanks were very low. There is a small chance their last delivery had water in it. Newer tanks have sensors for water. Older stores will still dab a reactant on the stick when they measure their tanks that will show if water is in the tank.

93 ethanol or ethanol free? Just curious - there is only one correct answer btw.

I saw something recently on YT that because of pricing, 91 to 93 tends to sit in stations' tanks a LOT longer. Therefore it also can be more susceptible to in effect turning into "deck stain"...clogging all the little things that go into a vehicle's fuel system because simply put it got old (or old gas was put in by their wholesaler).

Fuel issues from the station are quite rare - the video (a YT'er that bought his 91 non-ethanol from a BP in Marshalltown IA) was amazed that it happened because he had never never seen an actual case of bad gas "from the pump" ever in his life.

I had it happen in the late 2000's from my now closed local Casey's...never, ever bought 91 octane from them again - never had a fuel quality issue since.

Yet, he was able to remove the gas he bought and it indeed looked like deck stain. He then went to a different station/brand, bought the same 91 non-ethanol - and not only was the color much (normal) clearer, the engine in his car after a short time began running back to normal.

Now, I see a couple posts in response beat me to my next question. I know of not a single vehicle that REQUIRES 93 octane. 91 is usually the highest I've seen required. Certain engines also require a certain level of ethanol to NOT be put in the tank (usually 10%...don't go higher if it says not to).

And I can see (not saying this is what you did) say for example if you put in 93 ethanol...check the mix ratio ethanol to pure gasoline. What might have happened is that 93 octane may be mixed with juuuuuuuuuuuust a bit too much ethanol and your engine specs dictate you don't cross that line - which may be why your brand new engine may be choking and puking a bit.

Use exactly what the manufacturer states to use. And IMHO...if you can, don't use ethanol. And if you have no choice but to use ethanol, make damn sure the mix is at or below what the owner's manual states to use.

Reactions: Kelsers
93 ethanol or ethanol free? Just curious - there is only one correct answer btw.

I saw something recently on YT that because of pricing, 91 to 93 tends to sit in stations' tanks a LOT longer. Therefore it also can be more susceptible to in effect turning into "deck stain"...clogging all the little things that go into a vehicle's fuel system because simply put it got old (or old gas was put in by their wholesaler).

Fuel issues from the station are quite rare - the video (a YT'er that bought his 91 non-ethanol from a BP in Marshalltown IA) was amazed that it happened because he had never never seen an actual case of bad gas "from the pump" ever in his life.

I had it happen in the late 2000's from my now closed local Casey's...never, ever bought 91 octane from them again - never had a fuel quality issue since.

Yet, he was able to remove the gas he bought and it indeed looked like deck stain. He then went to a different station/brand, bought the same 91 non-ethanol - and not only was the color much (normal) clearer, the engine in his car after a short time began running back to normal.

Now, I see a couple posts in response beat me to my next question. I know of not a single vehicle that REQUIRES 93 octane. 91 is usually the highest I've seen required. Certain engines also require a certain level of ethanol to NOT be put in the tank (usually 10%...don't go higher if it says not to).

And I can see (not saying this is what you did) say for example if you put in 93 ethanol...check the mix ratio ethanol to pure gasoline. What might have happened is that 93 octane may be mixed with juuuuuuuuuuuust a bit too much ethanol and your engine specs dictate you don't cross that line - which may be why your brand new engine may be choking and puking a bit.

Use exactly what the manufacturer states to use. And IMHO...if you can, don't use ethanol. And if you have no choice but to use ethanol, make damn sure the mix is at or below what the owner's manual states to use.

Mazda specifically states you can run regular 87 octane but you get the max performance boost with 93 octane.

This was not ethanol-free. That's rare around here.

If it helps me quickly get away from an idiot in another car it's worth it.
I’ve driven over a million miles running 87 octane and never had a situation where I felt like an extra 10ft-lbs of torque would have been helpful. And that includes this morning when the dumbass in front of me went 25mph for almost the entire interstate on-ramp and then merged onto I-65 at 35mph as a semi was bearing down on us.

• Wow
Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
If it helps me quickly get away from an idiot in another car it's worth it.

Is it worth engine issues?

I'll add another thing. I try to buy fuel from the exact same station, always. I have roughly 3 different stations across a full year I buy fuel from.

I never, ever buy from a random source if I can help it. Buying from Mom and Pop's Fuel Stop out in Pig's Knuckle FL because you forgot to fuel up - especially buying from somewhere that probably sells 1% 93 compared to what their 87 octane sells - just asking for trouble.

Is it worth engine issues?

I'll add another thing. I try to buy fuel from the exact same station, always. I have roughly 3 different stations across a full year I buy fuel from.

I never, ever buy from a random source if I can help it. Buying from Mom and Pop's Fuel Stop out in Pig's Knuckle FL because you forgot to fuel up - especially buying from somewhere that probably sells 1% 93 compared to what their 87 octane sells - just asking for trouble.

That's impossible with my job.

I wasn't in Pig's Knuckle, either. This was a busy gas station.

I’ve driven over a million miles running 87 octane and never had a situation where I felt like an extra 10ft-lbs of torque would have been helpful. And that includes this morning when the dumbass in front of me went 25mph for almost the entire interstate on-ramp and then merged onto I-65 at 35mph as a semi was bearing down on us.

I've learned to really appreciate the zoom-zoom since I got this car. When some jackwagon won't get out of your blind spot it's wonderful to have those ponies to get away from the dumbass.

Mazda specifically states you can run regular 87 octane but you get the max performance boost with 93 octane.

This was not ethanol-free. That's rare around here.

Just did a quickie search - no more than 10% ethanol for Mazda engine per the manufacturer.

Gasoline blended with oxygenates such as alcohol or ether compounds are generally referred to as oxygenated fuels. The common gasoline blend that can be used with your vehicle is ethanol blended at no more than 10 %. Gasoline containing alcohol, such as ethanol or methanol, may be marketed under the name "Gasohol".

Vehicle damage and drivability problems resulting from the use of the following may not be covered by the warranty.

• Gasohol containing more than 10 % ethanol.
  • Gasoline or gasohol containing methanol.
  • Leaded fuel or leaded gasohol.

Just did a quickie search - no more than 10% ethanol for Mazda engine per the manufacturer.

Gasoline blended with oxygenates such as alcohol or ether compounds are generally referred to as oxygenated fuels. The common gasoline blend that can be used with your vehicle is ethanol blended at no more than 10 %. Gasoline containing alcohol, such as ethanol or methanol, may be marketed under the name "Gasohol".

Vehicle damage and drivability problems resulting from the use of the following may not be covered by the warranty.

• Gasohol containing more than 10 % ethanol.
  • Gasoline or gasohol containing methanol.
  • Leaded fuel or leaded gasohol.

It wasn't more than 10% according to the gas pump (unless some idiot put E85 in the premium tank).

Did you contact the store you bought the gas from? There is a small chance that they’d just received a delivery and some water or sediment had been stirred up if the tanks were very low. There is a small chance their last delivery had water in it. Newer tanks have sensors for water. Older stores will still dab a reactant on the stick when they measure their tanks that will show if water is in the tank.
In Florida?

Guarantee they won’t give a shit.

Reactions: The Tradition
That's impossible with my job.

I wasn't in Pig's Knuckle, either. This was a busy gas station.

Welp...in my personal opinion - I bet that 93 doesn't exactly sell a whole lot of gallons. Which means their distributor/wholesaler they get it from probably doesn't sell a whole lot either.

I understand some states, it'd difficult to find ethanol free gas. But if I were in your shoes, I;d go with the gas that they sell more of no matter what - probably 91 or especially 87.

And check the pump for ethanol content. Don't exceed 10%.

Reactions: Kelsers
It wasn't more than 10% according to the gas pump (unless some idiot put E85 in the premium tank).

Entirely possible. My bet is it very rarely happens, but entirely possible.

To me, the only way you're going to prove it's a gas issue is to actually pull a sample from the tank. If it's tea stained...it's the fuel. Might even be water in the tank too.

Stations hold much fewer gallons of 93 in the ground because it sells slower. There can be some chance of issues, but it’s small. This is the one chance I’d see a pollutant getting riled up from the bottom of a tank at delivery, and then being sold.
If you are at a station that still offers 87,91,93 they are blending the 87 and 93 at the pump.

In Florida?

Guarantee they won’t give a shit.
Trad is kind of a big deal, so he commands respect. Also, if it was bad gas the liability goes to the supplier and transporter that brought it. Anecdotal, but years ago a Sam’s Club where we lived had cars dying out right after fueling, and the issue was water in the gas. The carrier had to foot the bill for the car owners to make things right because they put the gas in and didn’t check for water before and after delivery.

Stations hold much fewer gallons of 93 in the ground because it sells slower. There can be some chance of issues, but it’s small. This is the one chance I’d see a pollutant getting riled up from the bottom of a tank at delivery, and then being sold.
If you are at a station that still offers 87,91,93 they are blending the 87 and 93 at the pump.

Almost all gas stations around here offer those three grades. 7-11 offers FIVE different grades!

I've learned to really appreciate the zoom-zoom since I got this car. When some jackwagon won't get out of your blind spot it's wonderful to have those ponies to get away from the dumbass.
Doesn't your car have a 4 cylinder Turbo? If so, therein lies your problem. 0 to 60 mph is not very good.

Doesn't your car have a 4 cylinder Turbo? If so, therein lies your problem. 0 to 60 mph is not very good.

0-60 isn't where the thrill is (although, that's not bad in my ride... not a Tesla, but respectable).

60-90 leaves left-lane loungers in the dust.

Last edited:
Reactions: seminoleed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT