ADVERTISEMENT

Bandwagon

Dec 3, 2001
Turn 50 yrs old this fall. My first memory of Iowa men's basketball was the Jim Bain "foul" call in '81, I believe. Have missed watching very few games since then. If this were the men making a run, feel I'd have street cred in spades to root for "my" team.

That said, I may have been vaguely aware Iowa had a women's team in '93, the last time they made it. But don't recall really ever watching the women play until I heard of this Gustafson gal a few years ago. Then I kinda lost interest again after she left until Clark showed up. The Iowa women are now just as much "must watch TV" in the family household as the men.

BUT - I feel kinda dirty taking this much pleasure in a team I've never really supported or followed. Feels kinda like jumping on the Patriots bandwagon or declaring I'm a Duke fan one day. I'm surely not alone in allegiance or feelings towards this current situation?!?

Someone please make it OK to truly rejoice when "we" cut down the nets tomorrow!!

I don't check the score of every baseball game or go to every tennis meet, but if those teams were about to play for a championship I'd have no shame in rooting for them. Hawkeyes are Hawkeyes. The bandwagon fans are those who don't root for Iowa day in and day out. You're no bandwagon fan. Go Hawks!!

Hop on and enjoy the ride!

hop hopping GIF

Many of us have been here since the beginning, but you shouldn’t look for silly reasons to miss out. There’s only so many chances to see this Catherine Clarke fellow in a real live match. Just hop on the bandwagon and enjoy the ride.

ROLL HAWKEYES!!!

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Turn 50 yrs old this fall. My first memory of Iowa men's basketball was the Jim Bain "foul" call in '81, I believe. Have missed watching very few games since then. If this were the men making a run, feel I'd have street cred in spades to root for "my" team.

That said, I may have been vaguely aware Iowa had a women's team in '93, the last time they made it. But don't recall really ever watching the women play until I heard of this Gustafson gal a few years ago. Then I kinda lost interest again after she left until Clark showed up. The Iowa women are now just as much "must watch TV" in the family household as the men.

BUT - I feel kinda dirty taking this much pleasure in a team I've never really supported or followed. Feels kinda like jumping on the Patriots bandwagon or declaring I'm a Duke fan one day. I'm surely not alone in allegiance or feelings towards this current situation?!?

Someone please make it OK to truly rejoice when "we" cut down the nets tomorrow!!
I was lucky enough to have a friend with season tickets for the Hawkeye women. I fill in when someone cannot go. It has been fantastic.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
It’s all good!

I’ve been following the women’s team quite a bit since Megan G, but I’d still only watch 3-4 games a year. I’d check the box score after each game though. I watched zero NCAA games without Iowa.

I’m like that with a lot of hawkeye sports, baseball, softball, field hockey….

At the end the day we are all hawkeye fans regardless if the sport or gender.

As a wrestling fan, I’ve seen Iowa fans hop on the bandwagon many times over the years. My only beef with non-wrestling-diehards is when they hop on the wrestling board to complain that things aren’t like they were under Gable and piss and moan about our coaching staff when they have zero clue.

The fans who want to hop on the bandwagon to be supportive are always welcome, and I’m sure women’s basketball diehards feel the same. It’s like having your cousins that you don’t see very often coming to your birthday party to celebrate along with you. It’s always great to have them there, and you never care that they aren’t around all the time.

At the end of the day, Iowa fans are one big family, and I think it’s awesome to see Hawkeye Nation coming together to support the women’s team. I’m not at all embarrassed to say I care far more about Iowa women’s basketball than men’s. I think that’s extremely cool, and I can’t say I ever expected that.

And a big shout out to the thousands of Hawk fans who have flocked to Seattle and Dallas! It’s great to see so much black and gold on TV and hear that “LET’S GO HAWKS” ring out during and after games.

GO HAWKS!!!

No one should grade the level of fandom. All fans should be welcome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT