ADVERTISEMENT

Barta, in attempt to slow down the NIL deals, is advocating for the NCAA to repeal the one-time transfer rule that it installed 13 months ago

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Me thinks he should have thought this through better.

Repealing the one-time transfer rule is Barta's idea to slow down the NIL deals, because, according to Gary, a booster isn’t going to offer a student-athlete a big sum of money if they know they have to sit out a year.

Last edited:

Iowa's Gary Barta would repeal one-time transfer rule to 'slow down' college roster movement​

Chad Leistikow

Hawk Central
May 12, 2022

Thirteen months ago, the NCAA passed a groundbreaking rule that gave college athletes the ability to transfer to a new school one time without having to sit out a year of competition.

Iowa athletics director Gary Barta is pursuing efforts to peel back that rule, in an effort to curtail the chaos he sees happening in the college transfer market combined with high-dollar name, image and likeness (NIL) deals that are occurring nationwide.

“NIL … is a good thing. And actually, that part of it is going well on our campus,” Barta told broadcaster Gary Dolphin on the university’s “Fight for Iowa” podcast that was released Thursday. “But what has happened is it is now being used for recruiting inducements. That was never intended. It still is against the rules, but it’s blatantly being abused.”

Barta met with other NCAA powerbrokers recently in Scottsdale, Arizona, to work on charting the course for college athletics.

Repealing the one-time transfer permit wouldn’t affect incoming freshmen’s ability to score a big NIL deal. But, in Barta’s opinion, doing so would help stabilize the wild roster movement that is taking place on a lot of major-college campuses.

“You don’t have to lose your scholarship. But you must sit out a year. Because we can control that,” Barta said. “And that I think would slow down the (NIL) deals, because a booster isn’t going to offer a student-athlete a big sum of money if they know they have to sit out a year.”

I like it.

Stewart Mandel doesn't understand college sports and the idea of a level playing field.

Pretty soon the players will be hiring the coaches.

Picture of true college sports.

dead-duck-onmalecon-in-havana-cuba-picture-id597640052

I don’t necessarily agree with him, but Barta is taking a position that benefits Iowa. The reality is that Iowa’s best players on the field in most sports are developed - they aren’t 5 star athletes coming in. It’s incredibly disadvantageous to Iowa to develop good players only to lose them. Right or wrong, Barta is just doing what he is paid to do, which is what’s best for Iowa athletics.

I don’t necessarily agree with him, but Barta is taking a position that benefits Iowa. The reality is that Iowa’s best players on the field in most sports are developed - they aren’t 5 star athletes coming in. It’s incredibly disadvantageous to Iowa to develop good players only to lose them. Right or wrong, Barta is just doing what he is paid to do, which is what’s best for Iowa athletics.
If he gets support from some other AD’s it might be a good idea. You don’t want to be known as the school that is against it in recruiting. Cannot help.

Repealing the one-time transfer rule is Barta's idea to slow down the NIL deals, because, according to Gary, a booster isn’t going to offer a student-athlete a big sum of money if they know they have to sit out a year.

Mandel is wrong. Barta’s proposal does not stop a single athlete from getting NIL deals — it just limits their marketability.

While the proposal may or may not make sense, I do like the idea of creating a penalty of some sort to serve as a deterrent from what is basically unregulated free agency. But how about instead of penalizing players, we create a financial penalty for the programs? For instance, if a player transfers from School A to School B, School B will have to offer some sort of financial compensation to School A. Afterall, since School A probably spent considerable resources to develop the player, it makes sense that they are compensated.

Stupid idea? Workable? I don’t know. I just thought of it.

I like it.

Stewart Mandel doesn't understand college sports and the idea of a level playing field.

Pretty soon the players will be hiring the coaches.

Picture of true college sports.

dead-duck-onmalecon-in-havana-cuba-picture-id597640052

I am just not sure punishing a player by making him/her sit out a year is the way to solve the current issues with boosters recruiting players who are considering transferring or who are in the transfer portal.

Why can't me just enforce the rule that says boosters can't contact or recruit any player who is considering transferring or who has entered the transfer portal?

Reactions: not_mantiteo

good points.

nationally, however, his idea is not going over so well. ;)

Reactions: KFsdisciple
If he gets support from some other AD’s it might be a good idea. You don’t want to be known as the school that is against it in recruiting. Cannot help.
I get it. But I get the sense (I have no inside info) that the coaches (Fran and Kirk) for the sports where NIL is a thing, don’t necessarily want the recruits who are asking for NIL promises anyway. It just doesn’t fit with the kind of teams they are trying to put together—right or wrong. And I don’t know if Iowa is going to be able to compete with the big money being thrown around by other schools anyway. So again, Barta is supporting what he thinks is best for Iowa athletics.

Mandel is wrong. Barta’s proposal does not stop a single athlete from getting NIL deals — it just limits their marketability.

While the proposal may or may not make sense, I do like the idea of creating a penalty of some sort to serve as a deterrent from what is basically unregulated free agency. But how about instead of penalizing players, we create a financial penalty for the programs? For instance, if a player transfers from School A to School B, School B will have to offer some sort of financial compensation to School A. Afterall, since School A probably spent considerable resources to develop the player, it makes sense that they are compensated.

Stupid idea? Workable? I don’t know. I just thought of it.

brain storming is good. it's just too bad that the NIL toothpaste is out of the tube and now ADs like Gene Smith and Barta are trying to come up with solutions.

I don’t disagree with him, but it is not a statement that will help Iowa in recruiting. I think it was dumb thing to say
I think you'll find most college athletes don't care what the AD says they'd like to happen.

It's not like Barta can impose this on Iowa or the rest of the NCAA without support.

If Barta really wants to slow down NIL recruiting — and cause a stir — he should call for a return to freshman ineligibility. ;)

I don’t disagree with him, but it is not a statement that will help Iowa in recruiting. I think it was dumb thing to say

I think you'll find most college athletes don't care what the AD says they'd like to happen.

It's not like Barta can impose this on Iowa or the rest of the NCAA without support.

I think he should have kept his opinions more private and within the meetings that are going on

Gary's idea is just that; an idea. But in the end, the 1 time transfer rule is unlikely to change. Nevertheless, Gary is now making headlines, which didn't need to happen, imo.

Reactions: littlez
I think he should have kept his opinions more private and within the meetings that are going on

Gary's idea is just that; an idea. But in the end, the 1 time transfer rule is unlikely to change. Nevertheless, Gary is now making headlines, which didn't need to happen, imo.
I disagree. I feel like if you want things to slow down, or change, the headlines need to happen now, before it becomes too late.

Waiting till things get out of control is exactly what brought us to this situation.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Hmmm, such a blatant reversal in transfer rules/regulations might just be viewed by a Federal Judge as an attempt by the NCAA to intentionally deprive an otherwise eligible student/athlete/entrepreneur from earning his/her "fair market" value in the open economy, and thereby subject those involved for payment of damages and/or lost wages.

But, sh!t; go ahead and roll the dice.

Reactions: mikesright
I disagree. I feel like if you want things to slow down, or change, the headlines need to happen now, before it becomes too late.

Waiting till things get out of control is exactly what brought us to this situation.

I have seen some argue that these NIL deals are going to create more parity. They argue that Texas A&M, with all the 5 stars they signed, should be a threat to Alabama & be a CFP contender now. Saban can't be happy. Miami (FL) appears to have the money to sign players, too. They might finally be able to challenge Clemson in the ACC. Dabo Swinney can't be happy about that.

Lots of thoughts & opinions on all of this, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: bumpstock
I have seen some argue that these NIL deals are going to create more parity. They argue that Texas A&M, with all the 5 stars they signed, should be a thread to Alabama & be a CFP contender now. Saban can't be happy. Miami (FL) appears to have the money to sign players, too. They might finally be able to challenge Clemson in the ACC. Dabo Swinney can't be happy about that.

Lots of thoughts & opinions on all of this, that's for sure.
It's ironic. Alabama currently has 5 guys committed to them in the transfer portal that were solid-to-good starters elsewhere, including an AA CB and an All-SEC OT.

For as dominant as his tenure as been, it can be argued that Saban truly cares about the state and nature of college football.

He warned us MULTIPLE times about things that could upset the balance of the sport, be it with HUNH offenses, RPOs blurring the line of ineligible man downfield, and the transfer portal being unsustainable without restrictions.

Each time, people dismissed him as selfish and worried about his next ring. And each time, he's turned around and strangled us with the problem we neglected to fix.

He'd make a great commissioner for the sport of college football.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
If the NFL can have rules not allowing players to be eligible until three years after their class graduates from high school and restricting the movement of players, then I don't see why colleges can't also have rules regulating the movement of players. I think that it's fair to say that the NFL rules are limiting the ability of young athletes to earn their "fair market" value.

Personally, I would like to see a system like baseball. Athletes can go pro and play in a developmental league after high school if they don't want to "play school". But if you opt for college, you're making a three-year commitment.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
This is a truly terrible idea that I doubt goes anywhere.

Only thing I’ll say in his defense is that I don’t think anyone really expected the NIL stuff to explode the way it has.
Ummm...a LOT of people predicted this madness, here on HROT and elsewhere. Did all those know with absolute precision how it would shake out? No.

But a great many people knew this was going to lead directly towards chaos...and said so early on.

Reactions: Lumas Etima
I get it. But I get the sense (I have no inside info) that the coaches (Fran and Kirk) for the sports where NIL is a thing, don’t necessarily want the recruits who are asking for NIL promises anyway. It just doesn’t fit with the kind of teams they are trying to put together—right or wrong. And I don’t know if Iowa is going to be able to compete with the big money being thrown around by other schools anyway. So again, Barta is supporting what he thinks is best for Iowa athletics.
There are going to be teams that implode where they aren't winning/lose a couple of games and the incoming freshmen or transfers are making more money than the good players on the team. But that is not a reason for NIL to not exist.

Now that the NIL or instant transfer are out there, I see no way that the toothpaste is put back into the tube. I don't see how trying to enforce a year sit-out rule for transfers would stand up to legal challenge. The Supreme Court ruled on this (well not this, specifically, but the idea that players are free to pursue opportunities).

I don't have a great solution/idea, nor do I have a great prediction for how this plays out. I could see college sports as we have known it end in the next decade, with schools offering nothing but football and men's basketball, in a way that is separated from the school officially so that they don't run afoul of Title IX rules. There is no public appetite to use tax dollars to fund women's sports and non-revenue men's sports. And the players in the revenue sports apparently now think they are entitled to a chunk of the revenue generated by those sports. I don't blame them, necessarily. It's just that the other sports can't/won't exist without the revenues from football/basketball going to ALL of the sports.

I am just not sure punishing a player by making him/her sit out a year is the way to solve the current issues with boosters recruiting players who are considering transferring or who are in the transfer portal.

Why can't me just enforce the rule that says boosters can't contact or recruit any player who is considering transferring or who has entered the transfer portal?
I agree that boosters shouldn't be able to contact a player until they enter the portal. So, first they have to decide that the NIL collectives are, in fact, "boosters".

I'm not convinced that sitting out a year is "punishment". I see it more an an impediment.

If the NFL can have rules not allowing players to be eligible until three years after their class graduates from high school and restricting the movement of players, then I don't see why colleges can't also have rules regulating the movement of players. I think that it's fair to say that the NFL rules are limiting the ability young athletes to earn their "fair market" value.

Personally, I would like to see a system like baseball. Athletes can go pro and play in a developmental league after high school if they don't want to "play school". But if you opt for college, you're making a three-year commitment.

I believe the NBA and NFL are allowed to do this because they are unionized. The NBA has had it challenged though and I think that’s resulted in differences.

This whole thing is weird to me. Who exactly are we protecting by restricting movement? Is it the colleges? Why do they need protection?

Boosters? Definitely can’t get behind that

Or… are we trying to protect the fans?

Reactions: mikesright
Ummm...a LOT of people predicted this madness, here on HROT and elsewhere. Did all those know with absolute precision how it would shake out? No.

But a great many people knew this was going to lead directly towards chaos...and said so early on.

The general direction was predictable agreed. I’m not sure the size and scope of it was.

Reactions: Franisdaman
So is the thinking that this NIL money is somehow guaranteed? An offer is not "making money"

So is the thinking that this NIL money is somehow guaranteed? An offer is not "making money"

Well my understanding is that they have been signed contracts, meaning they become guaranteed. And it seems pretty clear many of these are being negotiated prior to the player committing to a school, effectively becoming pay for play, which is not what NIL is supposed to be.

Reactions: Franisdaman
The chaos NIL is causing risks no less than the total destruction of major college FB. The only weapon the NCAA has is eligibility, so that's where Barta and others SHOULD be aiming

I applaud his effort to restrict transferring. Anyone with a brain can see how the transfer portal is causing competitive chaos. And now NIL is causing competitive chaos. Both must be neutralized somewhat by eligibility restrictions (noting that such restrictions push players into being more like students again, rather than athletes. And shouldn't that also be the goal? To make these kids become students again?)

When will people understand what's likely going to happen? In the next decade you'll see about 15 schools in a super-league funded by NIL, and the rest--well, they'll just be glorified FCS schools, and you're deluding yourself if you think Iowa might not be one of them. What will it take to open people's eyes? When the military schools all go FCS? When the whole MAC goes FCS? Or when Conference USA and the American FB Conference and the Big 12 ALL go FCS?

Open your eyes. Barta is not only on the right track, he is on a necessary one

This is a truly terrible idea that I doubt goes anywhere.

Only thing I’ll say in his defense is that I don’t think anyone really expected the NIL stuff to explode the way it has.
I respectfully disagree….. I think most people expected the mess NIL would create…. in fact it almost seems like the NCAA wanted it to be a mess

So is the writing on the wall that Iowa has no plans in place for a collective or other approach to NIL? I think that at a minimum they need to take a two track approach. You can advocate for for some common sense limitations for NIL, but you better also be prepared to tackle it aggressively and compete in what seems to be the wave of the future. If not, all it takes is a couple of bad recruiting cycles to tank your program.

Reactions: littlez
So is the writing on the wall that Iowa has no plans in place for a collective or other approach to NIL? I think that at a minimum they need to take a two track approach. You can advocate for for some common sense limitations for NIL, but you better also be prepared to tackle it aggressively and compete in what seems to be the wave of the future. If not, all it takes is a couple of bad recruiting cycles to tank your program.
That's the Barta approach ~ cut the baby in half.

Wonder if Iowa's NIL is so pathetic that it would deter recruits that are on the fence?

Reactions: bumpstock

There has always been a rule that boosters could not recruit.

Now, under the NIL umbrella, boosters are contacting players enrolled at other schools (and offering them deals) before the player is even in the transfer portal.

Boosters also seem to be involved in recruiting high school kids; one example is Texas A&M's 2022 recruiting class. Were the NIL deals completed before any commitments to Texas A&M were made?

What can and should be done about this I have no idea. The NCAA reportedly is understaffed; it also appears they are completely overwhelmed.

Wonder if Iowa's NIL is so pathetic that it would deter recruits that are on the fence?
Iowa officials did not say that, it was an assumption made by JBo (who's not exactly neutral on the issue).

The same article also says the only Big Ten school to release their NIL data so far has been OSU, who already has a marked advantage over the rest of the conference in that aspect.

I respectfully disagree….. I think most people expected the mess NIL would create…. in fact it almost seems like the NCAA wanted it to be a mess

It’s not that I at least didn’t expect it to become a mess, it’s how quickly and the scale of it that’s been surprising to me. Maybe I was being naive, but what we’re seeing is not what I think was intended by NIL, but rather this is pay for play.

Oftentimes it’s either during the recruiting process or even predating it to some extent. NIL I thought was supposed to take place once a player signed/committed to a school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT