ADVERTISEMENT

Barta Needs to Learn from the 1973 Iowa AD

Did you get to witness any of the games in '73?
Yeah - all of the home games. Pretty dreadful, but we still managed to have some fun.

Two of my favorite memories.

Iowa v Arizona - Iowa actually has a chance to win. AZ has the ball inside the Iowa 5 yd line on 4th down and they decide to go for it. Teams come to the line, fans going nuts. Before the snap an orange or a tennis ball comes out of a high row in the student section and lands right on the LOS between the OT and DT. The OT jumps offsides and they decide to kick. Lost anyway of course.

Iowa v Purdue - Iowa loses by 25 - game never in doubt. But in the 4th qtr the Hawks are driving against the 2nd or 3rd team Boilers defense, and the fans decided to go crazy. Maybe drunk, maybe sarcastic enthusiasm, but the place was rocking. But, alas, the Hawks did not score (or maybe they did - it was 49 frickin years ago)

The Hawks only won about 6 games in 4 years. But I don't remember anyone being pissed. It was just a football game.

HF and KF changed all that.

I remember 1978. 2-9. The 31-0 drubbing by ISU sticks out.

Brad Reid on the end around.

Good times.

Brian knows he's not getting the job done, and Kirk knows it too. I don't think Kirk is going to protect Brian. He gave him a chance, and I don't think Brian would be surprised or hold it against his dad if he is reassigned after the season assuming we finish with 6 wins or less.
I believe the first quoted sentence. In addition I believe that Kirk knows that, in retrospect, he made a serious mistake by having Brian put in his present position, both for Brian's future and his own. Further, I doubt KF's ability to acknowledge this or to do anything about it except to deny and obstruct any attempt to take the steps necessary to remedy the situation for the sake of the football program or the university.

Despite the 0–11 record in 1973, Bump Elliott the AD, wanted to keep Head Coach, Frank Lauterbur. Iowa fans weren't happy with Lauterbur, but their anger was directed more at the DC, Ducky Lewis. Iowa gave up a school record of over 400 points. Elliott told Lauterbur that he wanted Lewis fired. Lauterbur replied to Elliott that it was none of his business to fire assistant coaches. Elliott said, you're right, but as AD, I have the right and I am firing you.
Comparing the situation in 1973 to now is just lunacy. Lauterbur had won a total of 4 games in 3 years. Kirk has the 9th most wins in college football since 2015 and we have finished in the Top 25, 4 of the past 5 years. Anyone suggesting that Kirk should be fired doesn't know their ass from page 5.

Comparing the situation in 1973 to now is just lunacy. Lauterbur had won a total of 4 games in 3 years. Kirk has the 9th most wins in college football since 2015 and we have finished in the Top 25, 4 of the past 5 years. Anyone suggesting that Kirk should be fired doesn't know their ass from page 5.
Few are suggesting KF get fired now. But the stakes in college football are miles and miles higher than they were in 1973. Every coach practically back in the day was regularly given their 5 year plan- rare was it reduced to 4 years. Now coaches are getting fired in their second year. If things don’t look like a strong trajectory upward by the third year many get fired.

Then there are the Paul Chryst stories. Don’t need to repeat the facts here- you know them.

You fail to understand the way things are looked at now. It’s more about “what do we think you can do for us in the future” than it is “we will keep rewarding you for what you’ve done in the past”.

For the record, after Saturday Iowa will be 7-8 in their last 15 games. That’s a backward trend and it needs to be squared the other way soon.

Yeah - all of the home games. Pretty dreadful, but we still managed to have some fun.

Two of my favorite memories.

Iowa v Arizona - Iowa actually has a chance to win. AZ has the ball inside the Iowa 5 yd line on 4th down and they decide to go for it. Teams come to the line, fans going nuts. Before the snap an orange or a tennis ball comes out of a high row in the student section and lands right on the LOS between the OT and DT. The OT jumps offsides and they decide to kick. Lost anyway of course.

Iowa v Purdue - Iowa loses by 25 - game never in doubt. But in the 4th qtr the Hawks are driving against the 2nd or 3rd team Boilers defense, and the fans decided to go crazy. Maybe drunk, maybe sarcastic enthusiasm, but the place was rocking. But, alas, the Hawks did not score (or maybe they did - it was 49 frickin years ago)

The Hawks only won about 6 games in 4 years. But I don't remember anyone being pissed. It was just a football game.

HF and KF changed all that.
I was a frosh in 75. We beat wisky in Kinnick in 78 and stormed the field. I was so high that astroturf felt like running on marshmallows.
I know we did not win many games in those days so each victory was cause for true jubilation.
Now those types of wins get dismissed as " garbage wins".
Some in the current fan base are spoiled.

• Love
Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Sorry you missed the comparison point about my flashback to 1973. You're correct about using the word, "lunacy". The AD at the time might have thought of that word when he decided it was impossible to keep a DC that had given up over 400 points in 11 games. The AD was so gracious to Frank Lauterbur that he was willing to let him stay for the remaining two years of his contract despite going 0- 11. But, Lauterbur pushed the AD too far. Lauterbur refused to fire the DC. The AD had no choice but to fire Lauterbur. No, we are not 0- 11 as in 1973. No, Barta won't fire Ferentz. But, we have a OC that is perhaps more incompetent than the DC in 1973. It would be lunacy for Barta to permit this to continue. Barta should not give a shit or have any concern about KF's reaction. KF's reaction is completely irrelevant.

I was a frosh in 75. We beat wisky in Kinnick in 78 and stormed the field. I was so high that astroturf felt like running on marshmallows.
I know we did not win many games in those days so each victory was cause for true jubilation.
Now those types of wins get dismissed as " garbage wins".
Some in the current fan base are spoiled.
I was at the '78 game as a high school student against Wisconsin and believe we won 45-28...just an amazing win by Iowa. That was the game Iowa ran a fake punt by the "up man" on the punt formation having the ball snapped directly to him and then he hid the ball behind his leg for about 2 seconds then ran down the left side towards to south goal.

Sorry you missed the comparison point about my flashback to 1973. You're correct about using the word, "lunacy". The AD at the time might have thought of that word when he decided it was impossible to keep a DC that had given up over 400 points in 11 games. The AD was so gracious to Frank Lauterbur that he was willing to let him stay for the remaining two years of his contract despite going 0- 11. But, Lauterbur pushed the AD too far. Lauterbur refused to fire the DC. The AD had no choice but to fire Lauterbur. No, we are not 0- 11 as in 1973. No, Barta won't fire Ferentz. But, we have a OC that is perhaps more incompetent than the DC in 1973. It would be lunacy for Barta to permit this to continue. Barta should not give a shit or have any concern about KF's reaction. KF's reaction is completely irrelevant.
Here's the only issue-- but it's a big issue--

There is no comparison of Bump Elliott with Gary Barta. Bump had been a football coach for a long time before becoming AD so he had an insight to the game far superior to that of Barta. Secondly, Bump was a much stronger AD than Barta and willing to take initiative in a situation that Barta never could.

You can say Barta should view Kirk as irrelevant in this instance, but as much as I think Brian is the wrong guy as OC, Kirk is very relevant in all this to Barta. Kirk will not allow his son to be removed by the AD or he'd also leave; which, to be honest, I'd be OK with if Kirk took that action.

Few are suggesting KF get fired now. But the stakes in college football are miles and miles higher than they were in 1973. Every coach practically back in the day was regularly given their 5 year plan- rare was it reduced to 4 years. Now coaches are getting fired in their second year. If things don’t look like a strong trajectory upward by the third year many get fired.

Then there are the Paul Chryst stories. Don’t need to repeat the facts here- you know them.

You fail to understand the way things are looked at now. It’s more about “what do we think you can do for us in the future” than it is “we will keep rewarding you for what you’ve done in the past”.
Actually, I didn't know what happened to Paul Chryst, other than he got fired. I was shocked.

So, your comment led me to find this article.

There is a lot of stuff in that article that could be applied to KF and Iowa I think. It's a good read.

Reactions: frydaze
Here's the only issue-- but it's a big issue--

There is no comparison of Bump Elliott with Gary Barta. Bump had been a football coach for a long time before becoming AD so he had an insight to the game far superior to that of Barta. Secondly, Bump was a much stronger AD than Barta and willing to take initiative in a situation that Barta never could.

You can say Barta should view Kirk as irrelevant in this instance, but as much as I think Brian is the wrong guy as OC, Kirk is very relevant in all this to Barta. Kirk will not allow his son to be removed by the AD or he'd also leave; which, to be honest, I'd be OK with if Kirk took that action.
Yeah, Barta is no Bump Elliot for sure, but the results on the playing field have been pretty good under Barta.

Barta owes a lot to KF. I'm sure Barta has great respect for what KF has accomplished here.

But, he has a job to do and he dam well better do it. Any angst he may feel about firing KF's son, he has to feel tremendous pressure from everywhere else to do it. If he doesn't, he will be crucified.

You could make an argument to maintain the status quo after 10 wins last year and give him a chance. There will be no such argument this year.

Reactions: radicalhawk
Actually, I didn't know what happened to Paul Chryst, other than he got fired. I was shocked.

So, your comment led me to find this article.

There is a lot of stuff in that article that could be applied to KF and Iowa I think. It's a good read.
Here's why Chryst was fired:

McIntosh (Wisconsin AD) felt the program had been slowly slipping under Chryst since 2020 and they felt he was not the best guy to lead them into the future. While Chryst achieved a lot at UW, they simply felt he would no longer be able to maintain that and in fact had great fear things would slide backwards to a point where it could be a long process to dig themselves back out.

Similarities between the situation there and currently at Iowa? There are some parallels that can be drawn. Ferentz, like Chryst, has barely used the transfer portal and also has not shown big outward support of NIL. As far as the program here starting to slide, Iowa will be 7-8 in their last 15 games after Saturday. Has a slide already begun? That's simply a question Iowa fans must ask themselves. Another question to be asked is if Iowa can come out of this mini-slide soon with respectability? We will lose up to 8 starters off our solid defense and we all know the offense is a complete wreck. What will the transfer portal do this off-season as far as players coming and going? Will young talent already in the program step up next year and contribute in a big way? Will new recruits joining next fall provide immediate impact? Will Brian Ferentz still be Iowa's OC next year? What other changes may or may not happen this off season?

A time of many questions in Iowa City.

Last edited:
Kirk Ferentz has won more games over the last 5 years than any other period in Iowa Football history, and we've finished ranked in the top 25 AP poll four of the last five seasons and five of the last seven.... you imbicile.

Yes, I agree and Kirk knows how to run and manage a program (his time at Maine let him work on his head coaching plan and being close to other top head coaches). But just look what Kirk could have with just an average offense, ranked 63rd let's say, over the last 7 or 8 years starting in 2013. They win at least an average of 1 to 2 more games per year. They probably beat MSU in the 2015 BCG. They easily beat Kentucky last year and can be much closer to Purdue last year.

As the head coach and an offensive guy I just cant see why he hasnt worked to be at least average on offense. I baffles me.

Yeah, Barta is no Bump Elliot for sure, but the results on the playing field have been pretty good under Barta.

Barta owes a lot to KF. I'm sure Barta has great respect for what KF has accomplished here.

But, he has a job to do and he dam well better do it. Any angst he may feel about firing KF's son, he has to feel tremendous pressure from everywhere else to do it. If he doesn't, he will be crucified.

You could make an argument to maintain the status quo after 10 wins last year and give him a chance. There will be no such argument this year.
I'm just saying to you, Barta will NOT be firing Brian and forcing change on KFs staff. And I'll go further, Kirk will NOT be firing his son or demoting his son-- which would cause coaching suicide for Brian.

And one more thing: Until the lawsuit gets resolved that names Brian as a defendant, NOBODY else is hiring Brian-- so there will be no trap door for him to slip through. That suit won't even get cleared up until next spring-- so Brian will miss the major wave of hirings by new college staffs and pro openings that occur.

So in the end, I clearly see Brian back next year as Iowa's OC.

Who cares. He wins. He has won. He'll continue to win. We were terrible on offense many of the last 5 years. When you put together above expectation seasons 4 of 5 or 5 of 7 years you're allowed to have a down year. We don't even know if this is going to end up a down year. We could very well win 4 of the next 6 games. Even if we don't, Ferentz has more than enough credit in the bank to be allowed a down season.
You said it yourself that Iowa has been terrible on offense so how does the top man in the program not do something each year to improve it. Clearly Greg Davis and Brian's passing offense is either too complicated, too subtle or something. This year there are areas of the field we do not hardly even run patterns. Not much receivers going up the hashes yet that was wide open against Mich. Yeah we missed it but you have to keep doing it and the passes do not have to be long, just passed the linebacker and in front of the safety or a receiver playing basketball position in front of a Lbkr to gain a few yards.

Yes, I agree and Kirk knows how to run and manage a program (his time at Maine let him work on his head coaching plan and being close to other top head coaches). But just look what Kirk could have with just an average offense, ranked 63rd let's say, over the last 7 or 8 years starting in 2013. They win at least an average of 1 to 2 more games per year. They probably beat MSU in the 2015 BCG. They easily beat Kentucky last year and can be much closer to Purdue last year.

As the head coach and an offensive guy I just cant see why he hasnt worked to be at least average on offense. I baffles me.
Oh I think he has "worked" to improve the offense - he simply isn't good at it.

Most people would dial up some pretty big changes to the offense. New coaches, new schemes, etc. KF isn't that guy. He believes in his heart that he has the right formula and they just need to "get better".

Well, it's been proven that he is wrong.

I think Brian would be reassigned to another role if we don't win at least 3 more games. I think Kirk would do that too. The reason being, is I heard a story where Kirk made Brian work off his OWI fines. Kirk would personally drive him to referee football games since he couldn't drive and would stay in his car while Brian officiated games to earn the money he needed to pay his fines.

Brian knows he's not getting the job done, and Kirk knows it too. I don't think Kirk is going to protect Brian. He gave him a chance, and I don't think Brian would be surprised or hold it against his dad if he is reassigned after the season assuming we finish with 6 wins or less.
Iowa's offense has sucked every year under Brian the Boob and Captain Kirk has done nothing about it. No cause for optimism.

It’s not even worth engaging people that only spout the BS “but Kirk has won a lot recently”. He’s not acknowledging his faults and the fact that he hired an inept son to run the offense as well as recruit misses over the past 4 years. No one is above critique. After 5 years of Brian it’s clear that he isn’t the guy. Just like after 3 years (5 in the program) that Petras isn’t. We need to move on before some of our recent recruits do.

Oh I think he has "worked" to improve the offense - he simply isn't good at it.

Most people would dial up some pretty big changes to the offense. New coaches, new schemes, etc. KF isn't that guy. He believes in his heart that he has the right formula and they just need to "get better".

Well, it's been proven that he is wrong.
Well stated, right to the point. Offense has NEVER been a KF strength-- he believes in exactly what you stated here-- just grind through the fundamentals and they'll work their way out.

Brian has proven he has not much creative or problem solving thoughts than his Dad when it comes to the offense. It is all just a mess and a mess that neither Ferentz knows how to fix.

I'm just saying to you, Barta will NOT be firing Brian and forcing change on KFs staff. And I'll go further, Kirk will NOT be firing his son or demoting his son-- which would cause coaching suicide for Brian.

And one more thing: Until the lawsuit gets resolved that names Brian as a defendant, NOBODY else is hiring Brian-- so there will be no trap door for him to slip through. That suit won't even get cleared up until next spring-- so Brian will miss the major wave of hirings by new college staffs and pro openings that occur.

So in the end, I clearly see Brian back next year as Iowa's OC.
I think we are going to disagree on this one.

If the status quo continues into next season, what will ticket sales look like? 25% drop maybe? That's like $7-8 million in revenue.

And as far as BF's coaching career, taking a year or two off is not as bad as another year of sucking at his job.

But, if the Hawks manage to win 4 more games to get to 7-5, and go to a bowl game, you're probably right.

I care. As do many Iowa fans. The offense is a shit show and painful to watch. And while you might get your jollies off those 14-10 type barn burners against MAC teams and the bottom of the barrel in the B1G Ten West, the rest of us are bored and unamused.

It’s time for a change.
So you hate 14-10 games? Did you hate 14-13 against Michigan.? Remember that game? Not all games have to be 38-35 or should be, for that matter. You would probably want to fire Evy for beating OSU only 6-0 or Minny 7-0.
Yes , we need more offense but let's get rational.--you are just too easily bored.

I think we are going to disagree on this one.

If the status quo continues into next season, what will ticket sales look like? 25% drop maybe? That's like $7-8 million in revenue.

And as far as BF's coaching career, taking a year or two off is not as bad as another year of sucking at his job.

But, if the Hawks manage to win 4 more games to get to 7-5, and go to a bowl game, you're probably right.
I hope you are right and I am wrong on this one, but pretty sure what I have stated will be the case.

Could Brian just resign at season's end and take a year off from coaching until the dust settles and his name gets cleared in the suit? Of course he could. I just don't think that will be happening.

I see this as a 6-6 Iowa team tops this season...so that means that after the OSU loss Saturday they'd have to finish 3-2 in their final 5 games. Is that possible? It is, but then again, I wouldn't be shocked whatsoever if they finish with 5 wins on the year.

So you hate 14-10 games? Did you hate 14-13 against Michigan.? Remember that game? Not all games have to be 38-35 or should be, for that matter. You would probably want to fire Evy for beating OSU only 6-0 or Minny 7-0.
Yes , we need more offense but let's get rational.--you are just too easily bored.
Reading is hard. 🙄

I care. As do many Iowa fans. The offense is a shit show and painful to watch. And while you might get your jollies off those 14-10 type barn burners against MAC teams and the bottom of the barrel in the B1G Ten West, the rest of us are bored and unamused.

It’s time for a change.
Then why would you watch it? Serious question. You have nothing else in your life to do?

Coaches only have so much time and resources. Let's say he worked hard to ensure a top 70 offense every year, but the opportunity cost meant dropping some on defense and special teams. There's no guarantee that would lead to similar or even the same results.

Coaches only have so much time and resources. Let's say he worked hard to ensure a top 70 offense every year, but the opportunity cost meant dropping some on defense and special teams. There's no guarantee that would lead to similar or even the same results.
Or he could delegate training and responsibility to someone that is knowledgeable instead of Brian the Boob.

You can't argue with people who are batshit insane.

I dont think Kirk gets too involved with defense and special teams, just a feeling.

I always enjoyed Bumps story when he told JHF 'you are going to be the last football coach I hire'
JHF 'I appreciate your support' Bump 'It's not support as much as if you don't win I won't be around to hire the next one'
Or something along those lines.

Look what Bielema did at Illinois and tell me that programs cannot be turned around quickly and for the better. You just have to find the right candidate. One who is not afraid of utilizing all the changes in place in modern college football.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
All you have to do is watch a handful of college games every weekend to see a number of teams that are offensive power houses. Hell, every team in the Big 12 is capable of scoring 30-40 points a game. There is no reason a team can't have a good offense and a good defense. You just have to put the right people in place to get it done. BF is obviously the wrong person. He was given a more than fair shot to prove this. He supposedly (wink, wink, nod, nod) answers to Barta. If any other coach was underperforming like BF, he would be fired. Barta has done it several times. It's time to do it again. Frankly, he would be doing KF a favor.

Look what Bielema did at Illinois and tell me that programs cannot be turned around quickly and for the better. You just have to find the right candidate. One who is not afraid of utilizing all the changes in place in modern college football.
You have a high opinion of Illinois's offense do you? You didn't watch the same game I did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT