ADVERTISEMENT

Barta Needs to Learn from the 1973 Iowa AD

radicalhawk

HR All-State
Jun 18, 2005
Despite the 0–11 record in 1973, Bump Elliott the AD, wanted to keep Head Coach, Frank Lauterbur. Iowa fans weren't happy with Lauterbur, but their anger was directed more at the DC, Ducky Lewis. Iowa gave up a school record of over 400 points. Elliott told Lauterbur that he wanted Lewis fired. Lauterbur replied to Elliott that it was none of his business to fire assistant coaches. Elliott said, you're right, but as AD, I have the right and I am firing you.

Kirk Ferentz has won more games over the last 5 years than any other period in Iowa Football history, and we've finished ranked in the top 25 AP poll four of the last five seasons and five of the last seven.... you embicile.
And yet here we are with the worst offense in college football period….and a wasted season with a wonderful defense.

And yet here we are with the worst offense in college football period….and a wasted season with a wonderful defense.
Who cares. He wins. He has won. He'll continue to win. We were terrible on offense many of the last 5 years. When you put together above expectation seasons 4 of 5 or 5 of 7 years you're allowed to have a down year. We don't even know if this is going to end up a down year. We could very well win 4 of the next 6 games. Even if we don't, Ferentz has more than enough credit in the bank to be allowed a down season.

Despite the 0–11 record in 1973, Bump Elliott the AD, wanted to keep Head Coach, Frank Lauterbur. Iowa fans weren't happy with Lauterbur, but their anger was directed more at the DC, Ducky Lewis. Iowa gave up a school record of over 400 points. Elliott told Lauterbur that he wanted Lewis fired. Lauterbur replied to Elliott that it was none of his business to fire assistant coaches. Elliott said, you're right, but as AD, I have the right and I am firing you.
And then he hired former Hawkeye and Ohio high school coach Bob Commings as the new head coach.

Who cares. He wins. He has won. He'll continue to win. We were terrible on offense many of the last 5 years. When you put together above expectation seasons 4 of 5 or 5 of 7 years you're allowed to have a down year. We don't even know if this is going to end up a down year. We could very well win 4 of the next 6 games. Even if we don't, Ferentz has more than enough credit in the bank to be allowed a down season.
I care. As do many Iowa fans. The offense is a shit show and painful to watch. And while you might get your jollies off those 14-10 type barn burners against MAC teams and the bottom of the barrel in the B1G Ten West, the rest of us are bored and unamused.

It’s time for a change.

Yeah Kirk has lost a lot of goodwill in my eyes after seeing how he has handled Brian….and basically given everyone the middle finger in his responses and stubbornness.

Frankly, what’s the upside for Iowa to continue down the Ferentz Family Football Co. road?

I acknowledge he can’t be fired because our moron AD gave him a gold plated contract in his 60’s. But we can and should kick Brian to the curb, and if Kirk gets mad and resigns that’s on him.

The guy should have golden statues built near Kinnick but is absolutely poisoning the well with the fan base. Sad to see his legacy go down.

He doesn't have credit in the bank. He's going more bankrupt every day. If you're under 30, you weren't even sprouting pubic hairs the last time he won a Big Ten Championship.
So not winning a B1G Championship means you should be fired, huh? He has a lots and lots and lots and lots of credit in the bank.

Yeah Kirk has lost a lot of goodwill in my eyes after seeing how he has handled Brian….and basically given everyone the middle finger in his responses and stubbornness.

Frankly, what’s the upside for Iowa to continue down the Ferentz Family Football Co. road?

I acknowledge he can’t be fired because our moron AD gave him a gold plated contract in his 60’s. But we can and should kick Brian to the curb, and if Kirk gets mad and resigns that’s on him.

The guy should have golden statues built near Kinnick but is absolutely poisoning the well with the fan base. Sad to see his legacy go down.
I think Brian would be reassigned to another role if we don't win at least 3 more games. I think Kirk would do that too. The reason being, is I heard a story where Kirk made Brian work off his OWI fines. Kirk would personally drive him to referee football games since he couldn't drive and would stay in his car while Brian officiated games to earn the money he needed to pay his fines.

Brian knows he's not getting the job done, and Kirk knows it too. I don't think Kirk is going to protect Brian. He gave him a chance, and I don't think Brian would be surprised or hold it against his dad if he is reassigned after the season assuming we finish with 6 wins or less.

• Haha
Reactions: hawk_a_holic
I think Brian would be reassigned to another role if we don't win at least 3 more games. I think Kirk would do that too. The reason being, is I heard a story where Kirk made Brian work off his OWI fines. Kirk would personally drive him to referee football games since he couldn't drive and would stay in his car while Brian officiated games to earn the money he needed to pay his fines.

Brian knows he's not getting the job done, and Kirk knows it too. I don't think Kirk is going to protect Brian. He gave him a chance, and I don't think Brian would be surprised or hold it against his dad if he is reassigned after the season assuming we finish with 6 wins or less.
Just make him assistant head coach and hire a new OC. He can fart around then all he wants.

I hope you’re right….because Kirk isn’t getting the boot due to his contract….and I have seen nothing to indicate they have even acknowledged there is a problem.
Even 3 more wins is a 6-6 season, and frankly there is no difference between 6-6 and 3-9 both our disasters given we played SDSU and Nevada.

I really wish I could believe this.

Kirk Ferentz has won more games over the last 5 years than any other period in Iowa Football history, and we've finished ranked in the top 25 AP poll four of the last five seasons and five of the last seven.... you imbicile.
Look in the mirror for the moron. Just another year where excellent defense and special teams are wasted. Just think what the Hawk’s record would be if we had any semblance of an offense. Soon to be 7-8 in his last 15 games. You may want want to research those 7 wins and enlighten us to the quality of opponent.

I hope you’re right….because Kirk isn’t getting the boot due to his contract….and I have seen nothing to indicate they have even acknowledged there is a problem.
Even 3 more wins is a 6-6 season, and frankly there is no difference between 6-6 and 3-9 both our disasters given we played SDSU and Nevada.
We also played #4 Michigan and lost and will play #2 Ohio State this Saturday. SDSU is currently #1 in FCS. Our other loss was by 3 points on the road, at night, at the currently ranked #18 team in nation. Illinois could be ranked even higher if they didn't get screwed against Indian. We two close losses against two good football teams.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
Kirk Ferentz has won more games over the last 5 years than any other period in Iowa Football history, and we've finished ranked in the top 25 AP poll four of the last five seasons and five of the last seven.... you imbicile.
Jerkwad, if you're gonna call people names, at least get the spelling right. It's spelled imbecile. Come back anytime for another grammar lesson.

Look in the mirror for the moron. Just another year where excellent defense and special teams are wasted. Just think what the Hawk’s record would be if we had any semblance of an offense. Soon to be 7-8 in his last 15 games. You may want want to research those 7 wins and enlighten us to the quality of opponent.
Yep, just another wasted year. Wasted just like the ones where we finished ranked in top 25 AP 4 of last 5 years and 5 of last 7. Wasted years. Like Nebraska, and Texas, and Tennessee, and USC, and Miami. Wasted just like their years have been wasted for much of the past decade. We have nothing to show as a program over the last decade. Just a bunch of waste. Go eff yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: not_mantiteo

They have won a lot of games IN SPITE of this sh!t offense. That cannot be something to celebrate or model your team after. Against teams with relatively high performing offenses the game is over before it begins b/c these guys cannot put one foot in front of the other.

I had a lot of respect for KF, but at this point if he was gone tomorrow I would be pretty indifferent. This whole thing with BF has moved from annoying last year to insulting this year. Same with the QB situation. Just utter lunacy and everyone knows it.

You realize its unlikely the next coach will be better.
It's highly unlikely. It's much more likely we go on a 15-20 year stint of not seeing any where near the amount of success we've experienced over the last 2 decades. Probably a 90% chance of that.

It's highly unlikely. It's much more likely we go on a 15-20 year stint of not seeing any where near the amount of success we've experienced over the last 2 decades. Probably a 90% chance of that.

Just depends on who they bring in, just like every other school. I think the majority of supporters would take the chance if for no other reason than the product on the field is basically unwatchable. What's the point of having a team that is like a weekly root canal and a coach that acts insulted when questions are asked like: "Your offense is LAST, ever thought about trying to the QB that won 3 games last year?"

This is certainly the case on this and many other internet message boards/sites. Many of those sad but true moments/posts from name calling, profanity, & even violent threats that one would never consider using if not anonymous or talking face to face. I know this will not change how the internet is used, just something to consider as rational human beings. NOTE: let the video roll a bit, other stuff first, those gosh darn ads.

Let me have it and prove this right.
SUNDAY MORNING

How online behavior turns people from Jekylls into Hydes​

sunday-morning
OCTOBER 16, 2022 / 9:54 AM / CBS NEWS
LINK: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-online-behavior-turns-people-from-jekylls-into-hydes/

Just depends on who they bring in, just like every other school. I think the majority of supporters would take the chance if for no other reason than the product on the field is basically unwatchable. What's the point of having a team that is like a weekly root canal and a coach that acts insulted when questions are asked like: "Your offense is LAST, ever thought about trying to the QB that won 3 games last year?"
To be clear, I’m not advocating for Kirk to be fired. Brian absolutely needs fired yesterday (and Kirk can do what he wants), but in no way should Kirk be canned. Just so we’re clear.

With that said, this is a different era of college football. Bad coaching hires aren’t as devastating to a program as they used to be because programs can be turned around almost instantaneously thanks to college football free agency (aka transfer portal). So, in the event Kirk left after the season, if it takes a couple hires to find a suitable replacement, oh well.

Interesting. Here is the DI article, although it doesn't name the staff member(s) he was told to fire.

Lauterbur Fired

Better to lose pretty than win ugly. The new standard. We need to be winning like 50 - 10 every game.

Congratulations, you have reached the special status on this forum as being the Chief Ferentz Apologist. In your twisted way, you explained that 7- 8 losses in 15 games is perfectly acceptable. Now, you come up with this ridiculous, binary, bullshit choice. We either have our legendary Ferentz or we slump back to a "15 - 20 year stint" into the Dark Ages like the 60's - '70's. And then you put the cherry on top. "Probably a 90% chance of that." J.F.C.

Barta does not have KFs permission to fire him. Barta is his pet poodle and little else.
Please explain how Barta needs KF's permission.

I know, I know - it's a cute way of attacking both guys and it's popular to think the KF owns him.

But, honestly, he doesn't. KF has no leverage at this point. If Barta decides not to fire BF it is entirely on him. If KF wants to retire or go work for a NFL team, who's going to stop him?

Yep.

That team was outscored 401-140. The closest they came to winning were 3, 8 and 9 point losses.

Fans think this team is horrible? Then we have to invent a new adjective for 1973.

BTW- my freshman year at Iowa.

😟

I don't care that KF used to be useful. He is trying to cash in for his benefit the program now and can't care less so long as his baby boy is taken care of. That is malfeasance.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
He will not continue to win. Just watch him become the plague with any offense play makers. You have to be stupid to want to be a QB or WR in this offense. Hold your comment to December when you see what an exodus looks like.

Please explain how Barta needs KF's permission.

I know, I know - it's a cute way of attacking both guys and it's popular to think the KF owns him.

But, honestly, he doesn't. KF has no leverage at this point. If Barta decides not to fire BF it is entirely on him. If KF wants to retire or go work for a NFL team, who's going to stop him?
You are funny. Sure Gary is a strong man AD. OK. JFC

Yep.

That team was outscored 401-140. The closest they came to winning were 3, 8 and 9 point losses.

Fans think this team is horrible? Then we have to invent a new adjective for 1973.

BTW- my freshman year at Iowa.

😟
Did you get to witness any of the games in '73?

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Gary is an alpha tough guy if you're the volleyball or softball coach. Worthless spineless coward with the revenue sports. Plus he needs to fix his teeth while he has insurance

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT