ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Signings

#90th ranked is not that impressive. I dont know one thing about any of these guys but of going by overall and BIG rankings, would have expected much better.

#90th ranked is not that impressive. I dont know one thing about any of these guys but of going by overall and BIG rankings, would have expected much better.

I personally don't look too much into these rankings. A guy like Jack Dahm continually had top 50 classes and top three classes in the conference. We see how that went.

Reactions: 2bagger22
So excited about going from 1st to 9th? And yes signings, draft, juco etc can skew this but this isn't viewed as a disappointment?

I don't recommend doubting Rick Heller's recruiting classes. He's show great ability in coaching up anyone on his roster.

Still waiting for the dumbshit iowa12 to show his face again and explain how Heller "ran off" Crowley.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
I don't recommend doubting Rick Heller's recruiting classes. He's show great ability in coaching up anyone on his roster.

Still waiting for the dumbshit iowa12 to show his face again and explain how Heller "ran off" Crowley.

Which gives you a better chance to succeed, coaching up #1clases or coaching up #9 classes?

Which gives you a better chance to succeed, coaching up #1clases or coaching up #9 classes?

Coaching up baseball players regardless of rankings. Baseball players in Iowa don't get a ton of respect because of summer baseball but if you look at what the Dubuque co legion team did this summer we have some players in this state. Heller doesn't need rankings he needs true baseball players because most of these highly ranked kids in the county will never play college ball as they will be drafter and signed.

Coaching up baseball players regardless of rankings. Baseball players in Iowa don't get a ton of respect because of summer baseball but if you look at what the Dubuque co legion team did this summer we have some players in this state. Heller doesn't need rankings he needs true baseball players because most of these highly ranked kids in the county will never play college ball as they will be drafter and signed.

We can't really comment with any degree of knowledge on baseball recruiting as it just isn't covered like basketball and football recruiting, so we have no idea on who Iowa was close on but didn't get. From afar, it looks like Iowa could have a difficult season as the losses to the draft were significant. It's awesome that Allgeyer stayed healthy and had such a good year, but the downside is he was so good that he got drafted. I believe Iowa lost a recruit or 2 to the draft that they didn't think they would, but don't know enough about that.

In general, it is better to have higher ranked classes than lower ranked ones. Iowa has done a great job of recruiting projectable pitchers, with good size and frame to add velocity and become good pitchers. I've attended 4-5 games in person per year over the past 3-4 years, including Big Ten tournament and NCAA tournament games. One thing that stands out is how physically imposing many of the opponents are when compared to Iowa. If you give Heller a bit more material to start with, no telling what he could do. He has created a very, very good culture at Iowa and his teams will buy in and get better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT