ADVERTISEMENT

Rubber hits the road …

AuroraHawk

HR Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
Big weekend of baseball. Both Auburn and Virginia are nationally ranked. Great opportunity for Iowa to make a “statement.”

Going to need superior efforts by Brecht and Morgan and some bats to wake up.

Been looking forward to this weekend for quite some time. First pitch can’t get here fast enough.

Heck of a game thus far ….

To T7 and Iow up 3-2. Brecht probably done and Whitlock will take over in B7.

Top of order for good guys. Need some runs …

Not sure that I can recall a more disheartening weekend of Iowa baseball.
It's one thing to lose a 3-2 lead going into the last few innings . . . but blowing a 6-0 lead and 4-0 lead on Saturday and Sunday is a bitter, bitter pill.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
As much as the results weren't positive, my son had a pitching lesson with a Hawk that was involved in those games and I can say he has a great head on his shoulders. It was fun listening to them talk about how baseball flows from start to finish and how every pitch matters. Can't wait to get down to watch some live game action! Go Hawks!

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Not sure that I can recall a more disheartening weekend of Iowa baseball.
It's one thing to lose a 3-2 lead going into the last few innings . . . but blowing a 6-0 lead and 4-0 lead on Saturday and Sunday is a bitter, bitter pill.

This weekend certainly challenges last weekend as far as "disheartening" is concerned. Bullpen woes don't appear to be transitory. Getting these guys back on the right track might be Heller's toughest hurdle since taking the Iowa job.

Maryland started 4-8 last season.

RPI concerns going forward. Some surprise B1G teams RPI's are increasing. That changes daily. The issue is mid week games. Good news / bad news situation, but certainly very little room of error going forward.

To highlight the discrepancy between SEC baseball and B1G baseball NIL. Ole Miss has over $1MM each and every year, plus additional institutional support. Iowa in the last 18 months or so, has barely $100K, and most of this was one tome donations in order to bring players back this year.

Iowa's bullpen could be very good. It should be. Will it? Let's hope so. This has been difficult to watch so far.

This weekend certainly challenges last weekend as far as "disheartening" is concerned. Bullpen woes don't appear to be transitory. Getting these guys back on the right track might be Heller's toughest hurdle since taking the Iowa job.
Questions for you and @GolfHacker1 -

Midweek games- Does Heller use guys that normally don't pitch during weekend/BIG games? If so, would he use guys that normally relieve during weekend/BIG games going forward to instill some confidence?

Questions for you and @GolfHacker1 -

Midweek games- Does Heller use guys that normally don't pitch during weekend/BIG games? If so, would he use guys that normally relieve during weekend/BIG games going forward to instill some confidence?
Yes
We'll find out today at 3:05 PM. He has kinda sorta this year.

I'd be a bit surprised if Brody or Marcus didn't start.
I'm thinking that Tuesday would normally be Brecht's "bullpen" day so perhaps Brecht gets the ball for a few innings to start, with Morgan in the proverbial wings. Pure speculation on my part but I'd think that Savary would be in the mix for someone who can provide 3-4 innings of work (assuming that he's throwing strikes).

Reactions: GolfHacker1
I'm thinking that Tuesday would normally be Brecht's "bullpen" day so perhaps Brecht gets the ball for a few innings to start, with Morgan in the proverbial wings. Pure speculation on my part but I'd think that Savary would be in the mix for someone who can provide 3-4 innings of work (assuming that he's throwing strikes).
I think you're on to something. Same conversation happening another place I post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT