ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball in Iowa

hooper56

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2001
Having 3 College teams from Iowa in the NCAA tournament got me to thinking.... I wonder how many Iowa kids are on the rosters of the 3 schools combined? Must speak pretty well of quality of prep basketball in this state. One of you youngsters could perhaps google it for us?

Northern Iowa recruits the guys that the Hawkeyes
do not want.

Iowa recruits the guys from the big cities in our state.

Iowa State recruits the guys kicked off other top 25
college teams in America.

Iowa's roster includes 7 from Iowa, and that is not counting Gesell.
UNI's roster includes 11 from Iowa.
ISU's roster includes 2 from Iowa.
Drake's roster includes 4 from Iowa.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:
do not want.

This is correct.

Originally posted by Ghost of Santo:
Walk on's waiving towels on bench don't count. Guys that went to JC in Iowa don't count. I can't think of any recruited players that are native Iowan's on the ISU roster, but maybe I am mistaken.

Originally posted by hooper56:

Originally posted by HawkLogic:
Originally posted by L. Wade Childress:
only two of the teams recruit iowa, though.
The only Iowan on ISU team is Hoiberg.
No. How could that be?
Andrew Fleming
SG
Mouth of Wilson, VAOak Hill Academy
6'4"

3 stars

5/12/14
1 video
Brandon Hutton
SF
Chicago, ILDe La Salle
6'6"

3 stars

3/9/14

Isaiah Moss
SF
Chicago, ILSimeon
6'5"

3 stars

11/2/14
1 video
Ahmad Wagner
PF
Huber Heights, OHWayne
6'7"

3 stars

8/10/14

Guess Fran abandoned recruit only Iowa for 2015, funny thing is probably his most athletic recruiting class at Iowa.

But you stick with recruit only Iowa mantra Hooper and see long term where that gets you in the Big 10.
Fortunately Fran understands that in hoops you go find the best players you can vs some narrow minded view you should have mostly Iowa kids on your basketball team.

This post was edited on 3/8 9:09 PM by Fsanford

Obviously, Chicago is a fertile field for high school
basketball. Iowa needs to be in on the action. Not
everyone wants to play for Illinois or DePaul.

That seems like a lot of Iowa kids making those teams and I know some go out of state to D I schools too. Seems like a lot given the state's population?

Fsanford. Much work to make a point about one class. And then to cut down another poster for something he didn't even say? Odd.

As to Northern Iowa, some of their recruits were also being recruited by Iowa but the kids chose to take the UNI offer without waiting to see if Iowa would offer or not. That's ok...but that doesn't mean Iowa would not have offered at some point. It's a good tactic that Jacobsen uses.

Originally posted by Fsanford:

But you stick with recruit only Iowa mantra Hooper and see long term where that gets you in the Big 10.
Fortunately Fran understands that in hoops you go find the best players you can vs some narrow minded view you should have mostly Iowa kids on your basketball team.

I am not in any way trying to suggest that Fran recruit only Iowans. I am interested in the number of Iowa kids getting D I scholarships at State schools. I think the quality of basketball in the state has really improved. You are having some difficulty with your reading comprehension, son. Having a roster full of Iowa kids is neither good nor bad, in and of itself. But it is interesting that arguably the best team this year (UNI) has the most Iowans, don't you think Mister Clone?

Originally posted by DanL53:

Fsanford. Much work to make a point about one class. And then to cut down another poster for something he didn't even say? Odd.

As to Northern Iowa, some of their recruits were also being recruited by Iowa but the kids chose to take the UNI offer without waiting to see if Iowa would offer or not. That's ok...but that doesn't mean Iowa would not have offered at some point. It's a good tactic that Jacobsen uses.
Dan you know Hooper has veiled meaning in just about everything he posts.

You are the opposite, your comments are straightforward and up front there is no veiled meaning in your posts which makes for much better discussions :)

This post was edited on 3/8 9:36 PM by Fsanford

You are the opposite, your comments are straightforward and up front there is no veiled meaning in your posts which makes for much better discussions :)

This post was edited on 3/8 9:34 PM by Fsanford
Lol. Nope. I mean what I say. Guess you can draw your own conclusions. No veils here.

Not just Hooper! (I have to write this in code) a.l.l. of ThEm.
wink.r191677.gif

So... No one has really answered this.

Iowa State- 2
Daniel Stensland- Walk on from Waverly Shell Rock
Kourtlin Jackson- Walk on from Des Moines... Best dunker on the team.

Iowa- 7
Josh Olgesby- Cedar Rapids. Solid shooter coming out of HS.
Jared Uthoff- Committed to Wisconsin. Transferred to Iowa. Cedar Rapids. Versatile/Athletic 3/4 coming out of HS.
Peter Jok- Des Moines. Highly touted as Top 5 player in the country coming into high school. Repeated knee injuries limited his PT in HS.
Adam Woodbury- Sioux City. Highly touted 7'0 C that made a name for himself on the AAU circuit, which in my opinion is very overrated due to the fact defense is pathetic most of the time in AAU.
Nicholas Baer- Bettendorf. Walk on. Not what I would consider a normal walk on. I don't know who offered him, but he is very much like a Seth Tuttle(Undersized 4 that needs to add strength and quickness. High productivity in high school).
Kyle Denning. Cedar Falls. Walk on. Undersized SG from Northern University in Cedar Falls. He was a solid 1A/2A player in high school.
Okey Ukah- Iowa City. Played two years at Kirkwood CC. Transferred to Iowa as a walk on. Family is from Iowa City, so why not.

Northern Iowa- 11
Seth Tuttle- Sheffield. Played with 2A West Fork. Took them to the State Championship. Undersized PF and not strong coming out of high school, but he was extremely successful at West Fork and showed plenty of skill.
Nate Buss- Charles City. The one player that I know very little about other than Kourtlin Jackson from ISU. He is obviously a shooter. Athletically he isn't good enough for a Major conference.
Wyatt Lohaus- North Liberty. Older of the Lohaus brothers. He was a very solid guard on a loaded ICW team last year.
Jeremy Morgan- Coralville. MVP for a loaded ICW team last year.
Matt Bohannon- Cedar Rapids. The last one I believe? He was a shooter from Linn Mar.
Wes Washpun- Cedar Rapids. Former Tennessee Volunteer who picked them over Iowa. Came back to the state after transferring his freshman season. Explosive hops.
Ted Friedman- Ankeny. He is a undersized C who had a very solid career with 4A Ankeny. I don't view him as a athletically superior post, so he will likely be a back to the basket guy for UNI over the next two seasons. Needs to add some strength.
Klint Carlson- Waverly. He is Seth Tuttle and Nicholas Baer with more muscle. He needs to refine his skills, but athletically he is ahead of Tuttle or Baer as a freshman.
Max Martino- Cedar Rapids. He was a very solid player in high school. His length as a guard was his biggest advantage.
Taylor Olson- Cedar Rapids. He was a big scorer in high school. He could shoot and get to the rim. His size is a hindrance as he is not a PG. He is better suited at SG.
Kasey Semler. Cedar Rapids. I don't know anything on this kid. I don't recall him being a notable player in high school, but I am assuming he was a 4A kid being from Cedar Rapids. If he was Cedar Valley Christian or something I don't know anything about him.

Scholarship players:(I think I have this list right, but not for sure)
Oglesby
Uthoff
Jok
Woodbury
Tuttle
Lohaus
Morgan
Buss
Washpun
Bohannon
Carlson
Friedman

do not want.

As much as I DESPISE using cliche responses.... but "I LOL'd" at that. Good work Lute.

Originally posted by hooper56:

Originally posted by HawkLogic:
Originally posted by L. Wade Childress:
only two of the teams recruit iowa, though.
The only Iowan on ISU team is Hoiberg.
No. How could that be?
Andrew Fleming
SG
Mouth of Wilson, VAOak Hill Academy
6'4"

3 stars

5/12/14
1 video
Brandon Hutton
SF
Chicago, ILDe La Salle
6'6"

3 stars

3/9/14

Isaiah Moss
SF
Chicago, ILSimeon
6'5"

3 stars

11/2/14
1 video
Ahmad Wagner
PF
Huber Heights, OHWayne
6'7"

3 stars

8/10/14

Guess Fran abandoned recruit only Iowa for 2015, funny thing is probably his most athletic recruiting class at Iowa.

And after he inked this class, he determined we were looking far too athletic, so he signed 2 more Iowans in Pemsi and McCaffery 2.0, just to even things out a bit.

do not want.

Jealousy comes in all shapes! Good luck!

Originally posted by maxstabs13:

Iowa State- 2

Iowa- 7
Jared Uthoff- Committed to Wisconsin. Transferred to Iowa. Cedar Rapids. Versatile/Athletic 3/4 coming out of HS.
Peter Jok- Des Moines. Highly touted as Top 5 player in the country coming into high school. Repeated knee injuries limited his PT in HS.
Adam Woodbury- Sioux City. Highly touted 7'0 C that made a name for himself on the AAU circuit, which in my opinion is very overrated due to the fact defense is pathetic most of the time in AAU.
Nicholas Baer- Bettendorf. Walk on. Not what I would consider a normal walk on. I don't know who offered him, but he is very much like a Seth Tuttle(Undersized 4 that needs to add strength and quickness. High productivity in high school).
Kyle Denning. Cedar Falls. Walk on. Undersized SG from Northern University in Cedar Falls. He was a solid 1A/2A player in high school.
Okey Ukah- Iowa City. Played two years at Kirkwood CC. Transferred to Iowa as a walk on. Family is from Iowa City, so why not.

Northern Iowa- 11
Seth Tuttle- Sheffield. Played with 2A West Fork. Took them to the State Championship. Undersized PF and not strong coming out of high school, but he was extremely successful at West Fork and showed plenty of skill.
Nate Buss- Charles City. The one player that I know very little about other than Kourtlin Jackson from ISU. He is obviously a shooter. Athletically he isn't good enough for a Major conference.
Wyatt Lohaus- North Liberty. Older of the Lohaus brothers. He was a very solid guard on a loaded ICW team last year.
Matt Bohannon- Cedar Rapids. The last one I believe? He was a shooter from Linn Mar.
Wes Washpun- Cedar Rapids. Former Tennessee Volunteer who picked them over Iowa. Came back to the state after transferring his freshman season. Explosive hops.
Ted Friedman- Ankeny. He is a undersized C who had a very solid career with 4A Ankeny. I don't view him as a athletically superior post, so he will likely be a back to the basket guy for UNI over the next two seasons. Needs to add some strength.
Klint Carlson- Waverly. He is Seth Tuttle and Nicholas Baer with more muscle. He needs to refine his skills, but athletically he is ahead of Tuttle or Baer as a freshman.
Max Martino- Cedar Rapids. He was a very solid player in high school. His length as a guard was his biggest advantage.
Taylor Olson- Cedar Rapids. He was a big scorer in high school. He could shoot and get to the rim. His size is a hindrance as he is not a PG. He is better suited at SG.
Kasey Semler. Cedar Rapids. I don't know anything on this kid. I don't recall him being a notable player in high school, but I am assuming he was a 4A kid being from Cedar Rapids. If he was Cedar Valley Christian or something I don't know anything about him.

Oglesby
Uthoff
Jok
Woodbury
Tuttle
Lohaus
Morgan
Buss
Washpun
Bohannon
Carlson
Friedman
There's one more; Jordan who is currently a junior.

Originally posted by Aleister_Crowley:

do not want.

This is correct.
No. No, it isn't. And it makes us look stupid (and jealous) to claim it is.

I am as hopeful that Fred's transfers continue to smoke pot all night and the police "call Fred first" so that eventually their situation blows up in their face... but to say that they haven't had a lot of internal success with players is ignorant at best.

Obvbiously this is including walk-ons. The topic is recruiting: how many of the 13 players who CAME INTO a program on schollies were Iowans.

Iowa State has ZERO of 12
Iowa has 4 & 1/2 of 9 or Exactly Half: Oglesby, Woodbury, Uthoff, Jok, and I count Gesell 1/2 having played HS in Neb & AAU in Iowa: As for walk-ons, I think Iowa may have given Olah a schollie, I know Deming got one for his senior year.
UNI: Tuttle, Buss, Bohannon, Washpun, Morgan, Lohaus & more but I can't name them.
Drake: Right now, I believe its zero. Abernathy on roster but as a transfer can't play. Maybe more, K don't know

Iowa State- 2

Iowa- 7

Northern Iowa- 11

Oglesby
Uthoff
Jok
Woodbury
Tuttle
Lohaus
Morgan
Buss
Washpun
Bohannon
Carlson
Friedman
Kasey Semler led the state in scoring at Marion his senior year. He played 2 years at Kirkwood where he had injury problems. Injured again heading into this year. Probably would have seen some PT this year if not for the injuries. Is a great 3 pt shooter.

This post was edited on 3/9 10:15 AM by baseketballboy22

Iowa State- 2

Iowa- 7

Northern Iowa- 11

Oglesby
Uthoff
Jok
Woodbury
Tuttle
Lohaus
Morgan
Buss
Washpun
Bohannon
Carlson
Friedman
Denning is on scholly this year (we can ignore the previous 3)

Not to pick, but Denning is on scholarship. As far as the clones, when was the last time one of their coaches had Iowa players to speak of?

Originally posted by BGHAWK:

Not to pick, but Denning is on scholarship. As far as the clones, when was the last time one of their coaches had Iowa players to speak of?
Been awhile. I think they did last minute offer on one of the kids (Morgan) that went to UNI .. Jok was also looked at but they had to back off him due to lefty moore texting frenzy. Not saying ISU would have gotten him, but he was a kid they did want.

But they tend to recruit Twin cities, Milwaukee, Detroit and East Prep schools for the most part.
Which has been a trend of ISU for a number of years going back to Orr..

Originally posted by Clonewithasigh:

do not want.

Jealousy comes in all shapes! Good luck!
So does denial!

Let's not act like we don't want to get a great player via a transfer. Hell, we had pages of threads on this board a few months back when certain transfers picked other schools over Iowa.

It is a part of the game now, and eventually that "5th year senior, already graduated" rule will be altered or done away with, but until then schools like Iowa State will be competitive since they can fulfill the dream of majoring in higher education for kids like Deandre Kane.

Could care less if ISU has any Iowa kids on their roster. Once again, just because ISU takes a different approach than Iowa, it must be wrong.

How many posts have indicated a need for Iowa to recruit "better athletes"? Right now, all is well in IC riding a 6 game winning streak (against weak competition). When things arent going so well, this board rips Fran for recruiting too many unathletic Iowa kids.

Its the coaches job to find the best players, regardless of their address. ISU is a likely #3 seed and been ranked for 35 consecutive weeks, without any Iowa kids. Thats fine by me, and if Iowa was in the same boat, any Hawk fan would be okay with it too.

Originally posted by stender72865:
Could care less if ISU has any Iowa kids on their roster. Once again, just because ISU takes a different approach than Iowa, it must be wrong.

How many posts have indicated a need for Iowa to recruit "better athletes"? Right now, all is well in IC riding a 6 game winning streak (against weak competition). When things arent going so well, this board rips Fran for recruiting too many unathletic Iowa kids.

Its the coaches job to find the best players, regardless of their address. ISU is a likely #3 seed and been ranked for 35 consecutive weeks, without any Iowa kids. Thats fine by me, and if Iowa was in the same boat, any Hawk fan would be okay with it too.
th

Iowa State recruits most of the students from Iowa so Fran has to recruit basketball players from the state to maintain the UI state funding.

Originally posted by CGclone:
Iowa State recruits most of the students from Iowa so Fran has to recruit basketball players from the state to maintain the UI state funding.
lol another feeble attempt at humor from a
clown.r191677.gif

Originally posted by BGHAWK:

Been awhile. I think they did last minute offer on one of the kids (Morgan) that went to UNI .. Jok was also looked at but they had to back off him due to lefty moore texting frenzy. Not saying ISU would have gotten him, but he was a kid they did want.

But they tend to recruit Twin cities, Milwaukee, Detroit and East Prep schools for the most part.
Which has been a trend of ISU for a number of years going back to Orr..
I think they're still reeling from the burn of Barnes to UNC...

Iowa high school basketball has not improved at all

It's the same as it ever was.

The best players on Division I college teams in Iowa are from other states.

UNI isn't really that good in the first place, they're Murray State with maybe 3 more games against RPI Top 50 teams.

Re: Iowa high school basketball has not improved at all

Originally posted by DCCyclone:
It's the same as it ever was.

The best players on Division I college teams in Iowa are from other states.

UNI isn't really that good in the first place, they're Murray State with maybe 3 more games against RPI Top 50 teams.
Who was better than Horner, Haluska or Brunner on the '05 - '06 Hawks?

It's one thing having Iowa kids on a roster. It's another having kids that seriously contribute. I'd find it hard to believe there are that many that truly seriously contribute given the size of Iowa. Said differently, "Mr Basketball" in Iowa doesnt quite mean the same as "Mr Basketball" in Michigan, Ohio, New York, etc. The amount of talent / competition is simply not there.
This post was edited on 3/10 8:02 AM by hawkeyedude#1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT