ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball in Iowa

ISU offered Morgan, but with his family history, they were never in contention.
Some of the twisted logic on this board makes me laugh. You have some great threads trying to find ways to put down ISU. Funny I don't see these kind of threads regarding your old protected rival....Purdue. Jealousy does tend to encourage creative thinking. ISU will recruit iowa kids if they think they are good enough. Jok would likely be a clone, if it had not been for the lefty Moore debacle. We wanted uthof, but he chose iowa......although that was a done deal from the start. Besides all your noise, i can't figure out, week to week, if you guys like gessel, oglosby and Woodbury or not. Seems like more often than not, you wish they were better players. So....be happy with what you have....we are.

Name one player on iSU's current roster that was kicked off another team....oops.

Nader-Nope left NIU on his own.
BDJ-Nope graduate transfer
McKay- Nope left Marquette on his own
Burton- left on his own
Cooke- Left after a coaching change

So no...it is factually incorrect.

I love iowa fans whining about iSU's transfers. I guess Uthoff never went to Wisconsin, Dickerson never played JUCO, and iowa never recruited and inked Anthony Hubbard. Not to mention all the transfers Fran has recruited but didn't land.

Jok was iSU's until Lefty Moore screwed that up and is a nice player. You can keep Woodbury and Oglesby. Gesell would be nice to give Monte a rest.

As far as Iowa born and raised players....I wish iSU would have landed Barnes and Paige but that is about it.
Originally posted by Aleister_Crowley:

Originally posted by LuteHawk:
Northern Iowa recruits the guys that the Hawkeyes
do not want.

Iowa recruits the guys from the big cities in our state.

Iowa State recruits the guys kicked off other top 25
college teams in America.
This is correct.

Re: Iowa high school basketball has not improved at all

An argument could be made for Will Blalock. Blalock actually played in a regular season NBA game whereas Haluska never saw anything other than preseason. And argument could also be made for Stinson.
Originally posted by iowagator:

Originally posted by DCCyclone:
It's the same as it ever was.

The best players on Division I college teams in Iowa are from other states.

UNI isn't really that good in the first place, they're Murray State with maybe 3 more games against RPI Top 50 teams.
Who was better than Horner, Haluska or Brunner on the '05 - '06 Hawks?

Originally posted by Ronman:
Originally posted by Clonewithasigh:

Originally posted by LuteHawk:
Northern Iowa recruits the guys that the Hawkeyes
do not want.

Iowa recruits the guys from the big cities in our state.

Iowa State recruits the guys kicked off other top 25
college teams in America.
Jealousy comes in all shapes! Good luck!
So does denial!
What are you in denial about?

Originally posted by Pepperman:
I am as hopeful that Fred's transfers continue to smoke pot all night and the police "call Fred first" so that eventually their situation blows up in their face... but to say that they haven't had a lot of internal success with players is ignorant at best.
How much money would you be willing to put down saying that zero Hawk players smoke pot?

Iowa seems to be growing better players lately. UNI gets most of it's players from in-state. There are talented players to be had and I think Fran is searching in-state to ensure Iowa isn't missing out on good players.

Just a Datapoint:
Ohio State has just 3 Ohio kids on it's roster out of 13.
Ohio population is 11.6 million vs 3 million in Iowa.

Given the population disparity, the state of Iowa has maybe produced it's share of top level recruits, but it should not be surprising the rosters of the 3 major programs do not necessarily feature local kids on a regular basis.

The fact that 3 Div 1 teams from Iowa will be in the tourney and there are enough rabid fans to support all of these programs from a population a 1/4 the size of Ohio is damn impressive.

I remind buckeye fans when they crow about filling the 'Shoe with 110,000+ for a football game, that there are over 3 million people to draw from just within about 40 minutes of that stadium vs filling 2 stadiums (with up to 125-130k total) pulling from that same population across the entire state.

Originally posted by Baños:
Originally posted by Pepperman:
I am as hopeful that Fred's transfers continue to smoke pot all night and the police "call Fred first" so that eventually their situation blows up in their face... but to say that they haven't had a lot of internal success with players is ignorant at best.
How much money would you be willing to put down saying that zero Hawk players smoke pot?
Absolutely zero money would be bet on that. Iowa players smoke pot too. It is just when they get caught, the charges tend to stick and the coach isn't shown to have an arrangement with the local law enforcement and neighbors.

Tried sticking up for your team and you still decided to come back at me?

How many iowa players were D1 qualifiers (all of them, including dickerson). How many at ISU? The pool of Jucos Big Ten schools can recruit is not the same as the B12. Ask Gary Anderson who made a downward move to Oregon State from Wisc. He couldn't sign kids academically, a couple of whom reportedly then went to kansas state among other schools.
BDJ was not dismissed from UNLV, his second of 3 schools, but was suspended at the end of his pre-transfer season, unlike program heroes Royce White and DeAndre Kane. Cory Lucious was booted by Izzo.

I find it HILARIOUS that someone would say that there is no defense played at the AAU level. Not only is there defense but you get refs that are there to collect a pay check half the time and nothing more. Run up and down and dont call a damn thing. If a kid does not adjust and adjust quick they will completely disappear. Games may look sometimes like there is not as much defense being played but you have to realize that everybody there playing is a 16-20 ppg player on their home town team and can play. So basically everybody there can play especially at the upper levels. So the fact is everybody can put the ball in the hole, or they are an athletic freak, or they are a foot taller than everybody else. It is truly unreal sometimes how tough some of those games are and there is all kinds of defense being played. not college level sound defense but the effort is there for sure. And Woodbury went head to head and out played Noel and he was known as a defensive guy. So by playing the best most athletic defenders in his class he showed he can play. Everybody in college then is bigger stronger and faster and he has struggled getting there but with more touches i think Woodbury is a 14-15 ppg center next year.

If anything there is not as much scouting done at the AAU level. You will not see as many teams that will try to take each player away from what they do well. Teams worry more about themselves and doing their things well instead of really breaking down tape of other teams like you will see in high school games and college games. Its different for sure but it is incredibly intense and its sink or swim.

Originally posted by DanL53:
Originally posted by stender72865:
Could care less if ISU has any Iowa kids on their roster. Once again, just because ISU takes a different approach than Iowa, it must be wrong.

How many posts have indicated a need for Iowa to recruit "better athletes"? Right now, all is well in IC riding a 6 game winning streak (against weak competition). When things arent going so well, this board rips Fran for recruiting too many unathletic Iowa kids.

Its the coaches job to find the best players, regardless of their address. ISU is a likely #3 seed and been ranked for 35 consecutive weeks, without any Iowa kids. Thats fine by me, and if Iowa was in the same boat, any Hawk fan would be okay with it too.
ec
I loved that movie.

Originally posted by Cyclad:
Some of the twisted logic on this board makes me laugh. You have some great threads trying to find ways to put down ISU. Funny I don't see these kind of threads regarding your old protected rival....Purdue. Jealousy does tend to encourage creative thinking. ISU will recruit iowa kids if they think they are good enough. Jok would likely be a clone, if it had not been for the lefty Moore debacle. We wanted uthof, but he chose iowa......although that was a done deal from the start. Besides all your noise, i can't figure out, week to week, if you guys like gessel, oglosby and Woodbury or not. Seems like more often than not, you wish they were better players. So....be happy with what you have....we are.
ISU hasn't gotten a lot of the Iowa kids it has offered, either because they also had offers from a "name" program or because they had Hawkeye leanings. Fred recruited Jok and Uthoff and I think offered Gesell. Hinrich originally committed to ISU before backing out and going to KU. Collison was offered by ISU, as were Barnes (naturally) and Paige.

What Fred has not done is recruit kids who aren't good enough simply because they are from inside the state.

I think what happened with the transfer thing is that Fred knew he needed to do it in his first couple of years -- he inherited only 3 scholarship players -- and it worked out so well that he started hearing from other players. He and ISU got a reputation of being a good place for a second chance, and at this point he seems to have pretty much his pick of the litter.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

Originally posted by Cyclad:
ISU hasn't gotten a lot of the Iowa kids it has offered, either because they also had offers from a "name" program or because they had Hawkeye leanings. Fred recruited Jok and Uthoff and I think offered Gesell. Hinrich originally committed to ISU before backing out and going to KU. Collison was offered by ISU, as were Barnes (naturally) and Paige.

What Fred has not done is recruit kids who aren't good enough simply because they are from inside the state.

I think what happened with the transfer thing is that Fred knew he needed to do it in his first couple of years -- he inherited only 3 scholarship players -- and it worked out so well that he started hearing from other players. He and ISU got a reputation of being a good place for a second chance, and at this point he seems to have pretty much his pick of the litter.
This makes enough sense that it shouldn't be on here.

Originally posted by LarryMullenJr.:
Originally posted by maxstabs13:
So... No one has really answered this.

Iowa State- 2
Daniel Stensland- Walk on from Waverly Shell Rock
Kourtlin Jackson- Walk on from Des Moines... Best dunker on the team.

Iowa- 7
Josh Olgesby- Cedar Rapids. Solid shooter coming out of HS.
Jared Uthoff- Committed to Wisconsin. Transferred to Iowa. Cedar Rapids. Versatile/Athletic 3/4 coming out of HS.
Peter Jok- Des Moines. Highly touted as Top 5 player in the country coming into high school. Repeated knee injuries limited his PT in HS.
Adam Woodbury- Sioux City. Highly touted 7'0 C that made a name for himself on the AAU circuit, which in my opinion is very overrated due to the fact defense is pathetic most of the time in AAU.
Nicholas Baer- Bettendorf. Walk on. Not what I would consider a normal walk on. I don't know who offered him, but he is very much like a Seth Tuttle(Undersized 4 that needs to add strength and quickness. High productivity in high school).
Kyle Denning. Cedar Falls. Walk on. Undersized SG from Northern University in Cedar Falls. He was a solid 1A/2A player in high school.
Okey Ukah- Iowa City. Played two years at Kirkwood CC. Transferred to Iowa as a walk on. Family is from Iowa City, so why not.

Northern Iowa- 11
Seth Tuttle- Sheffield. Played with 2A West Fork. Took them to the State Championship. Undersized PF and not strong coming out of high school, but he was extremely successful at West Fork and showed plenty of skill.
Nate Buss- Charles City. The one player that I know very little about other than Kourtlin Jackson from ISU. He is obviously a shooter. Athletically he isn't good enough for a Major conference.
Wyatt Lohaus- North Liberty. Older of the Lohaus brothers. He was a very solid guard on a loaded ICW team last year.
Jeremy Morgan- Coralville. MVP for a loaded ICW team last year.
Matt Bohannon- Cedar Rapids. The last one I believe? He was a shooter from Linn Mar.
Wes Washpun- Cedar Rapids. Former Tennessee Volunteer who picked them over Iowa. Came back to the state after transferring his freshman season. Explosive hops.
Ted Friedman- Ankeny. He is a undersized C who had a very solid career with 4A Ankeny. I don't view him as a athletically superior post, so he will likely be a back to the basket guy for UNI over the next two seasons. Needs to add some strength.
Klint Carlson- Waverly. He is Seth Tuttle and Nicholas Baer with more muscle. He needs to refine his skills, but athletically he is ahead of Tuttle or Baer as a freshman.
Max Martino- Cedar Rapids. He was a very solid player in high school. His length as a guard was his biggest advantage.
Taylor Olson- Cedar Rapids. He was a big scorer in high school. He could shoot and get to the rim. His size is a hindrance as he is not a PG. He is better suited at SG.
Kasey Semler. Cedar Rapids. I don't know anything on this kid. I don't recall him being a notable player in high school, but I am assuming he was a 4A kid being from Cedar Rapids. If he was Cedar Valley Christian or something I don't know anything about him.

Scholarship players:(I think I have this list right, but not for sure)
Oglesby
Uthoff
Jok
Woodbury
Tuttle
Lohaus
Morgan
Buss
Washpun
Bohannon
Carlson
Friedman
There's one more; Jordan who is currently a junior.
Dur... I knew that. Brain Fart.

Lets not kid ourselves... Iowa is reeling from Marcus Paige to UNC, but content with Todd Lickliter leaving. ISU is reeling from Harrison Barnes to UNC, but content with Hoiberg staying. UNI is reeling from Doug McDermott to Creighton, but they are content with Greg McDermott leaving.

Originally posted by GnarlyBoy:
How many iowa players were D1 qualifiers (all of them, including dickerson). How many at ISU? The pool of Jucos Big Ten schools can recruit is not the same as the B12.
All of them except Dustin Hogue, and he was also offered by Iowa, and Jameel McKay, who went to the same JuCo program.

nm
already posted.

This post was edited on 3/10 6:13 PM by MattFoleyHawk

This post was edited on 3/10 6:15 PM by MattFoleyHawk

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT