ADVERTISEMENT

BBC shows on Netflix

Wahawk56

HR Legend
Aug 31, 2004
Any suggestions? I am watching Luther and seen Sherlock. Any other suggestions? Will not watch the office or doctor who.

Coupling - it's kind of a Friends knock off that is much funnier than Friends.

Foyle's War is very interesting for WW2 buffs. Not sure it's BBC but is set in a smaller English village with a very intelligent detective inspector.

Originally posted by INXS83:

Orphan Black - must start at season 1, episode 1.
I'm watching this on Amazon Prime...trying to finish season 2 before 3 starts in a couple of weeks. It's a pretty entertaining show and the main actress does a great job playing all her characters.

Originally posted by BubsFinn:
I enjoyed this show until the last season when they tried to force feed a new character at me who I didn't care about at all. It definitely had some very funny moments.

Another solid comedy was Gavin and Stacey. The new host of the Late Late Show, James Cordell, played Gavin's best friend.

Originally posted by Tom Paris:

I enjoyed this show until the last season when they tried to force feed a new character at me who I didn't care about at all. It definitely had some very funny moments.

Another solid comedy was Gavin and Stacey. The new host of the Late Late Show, James Cordell, played Gavin's best friend.
If OP won't watch the original Office, he isn't going to like any BBC comedy.

Originally posted by MN.HAWK:

I might give it a shot.

I can't keep straight which BBC shows are on Netflix but here are some lesser known ones you might look for. The first group are mysteries. [Brit grammar]

Inspector George Gently
Inspector Morse
Foyle's War
Wallander
Jack Taylor
New Tricks (DVD only)
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries
Poirot

Robin Hood
Skins
Doc Martin

Originally posted by Wahawk56:

Originally posted by MN.HAWK:

I might give it a shot.
Definitely do. Starting from the beginning is best to learn the characters and get the relationships straight.

Tom Paris is right that the show lost a step (or 2) when the Jeff character left after the 3rd season. But the 4th season was still OK, just not up to the standards set previously.

While none of the actors have become famous, you see all of them (except maybe Sally) in other shows from time to time. Which is to say that you may recognize the actors from more recent work. The actor who played Jeff, for example was a main character in Crossbones (the Blackbeard series staring Malkovich). If you saw Crossbones first, you'll recognize the accent and manner but you'll be blown away by the comedy chops.

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:
I can't keep straight which BBC shows are on Netflix but here are some lesser known ones you might look for. The first group are mysteries. [Brit grammar]

Inspector George Gently
Inspector Morse
Foyle's War
Wallander
Jack Taylor
New Tricks (DVD only)
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries
Poirot

Robin Hood
Skins
Doc Martin
I don't know if Netflix has them, but I would highly recommend the Granada production of Sherlock Holmes that ran in the late 80s and early 90s. I think it was largely PBS, but I've seen episodes on BBC.

I like the current Sherlock a great deal, but the true Victorian version with Jeremy Brett as Holmes is probably the best overall version I've seen. And I loved the old Basil Rathbone black-and-whites. Brett's interpretation is almost flawless and hews most closely with Conan Doyle's stories. They had two Watsons (can't remember the actors) but great guest stars and the best stories of the Holmes canon (Sign of the Four, The Spotted Band, Hound of the Baskervilles, A Study in Scarlet, The Dancing Men, The Red-Headed League and the Final Solution.)

n

My daughter (no pic) keeps telling me about a BBC show on NetFlix called Black Mirror. She really likes it and says it's like a British version of The Twilight Zone. Eerie stories with a completely different cast each week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT