ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ Experts - Memorial Day Edition

Fijimn

HR Legend
May 7, 2008
It's going to be f-ing hot in Houston next weekend. So planning on working the pits in the back yard. I have a trimmed brisket currently sitting in a pastrami brine solution. I have a turkey breast on the bone that i need to cook because it's been sitting in the deep freeze for a while. I think i'm going to just S&P with a butter injection and cook over pecan and a fruit wood. I usually cook turkey at around 300 degrees?

I'm experimenting with a Vietnamese style bbq that I stole from an episode of Ugly Delicious. The cooks in the episode cooked a whole hog, but i have a shoulder and made a rub of salt, brown sugar, chinese 5-spice and szechuan peppercorns and spray the entire thing down with nuom choc. Thinking of doing a injection of the nuom choc to see if I can infuse more of the funkiness of the fish flavor.

Y'all got anything going?

Might do a brisket. Nothing fancy, just the Franklin method.
Did a couple of shoulders this weekend that came out pretty well. One was perfect and the other I pulled off about 5 degrees too soon. Better than 5 degrees too late.

Five spice, gag!

Might do a brisket. Nothing fancy, just the Franklin method.
Did a couple of shoulders this weekend that came out pretty well. One was perfect and the other I pulled off about 5 degrees too soon. Better than 5 degrees too late.

Five spice, gag!

Not a fan? I like it, but I'm partial to asian flavors. I brined a brisket in fish sauce for 14 days to make a really funky pastrami. It was too salty funky to eat straight, but it was awesome in pho.

Reactions: RTM58
Not a fan? I like it, but I'm partial to asian flavors. I brined a brisket in fish sauce for 14 days to make a really funky pastrami. It was too salty funky to eat straight, but it was awesome in pho.

I like asian flavors but I find 5 spice overpowering. A tiny bit goes a long way, and most recipes use way too much. It ends up being all I can taste.

I like asian flavors but I find 5 spice overpowering. A tiny bit goes a long way, and most recipes use way too much. It ends up being all I can taste.

That's fair. And I'm on the fence if the rub is completely necessary. Because the end product (pulled pork) use for a lettuce wrap with basil, cilantro, cucumber and pickled carrots. the keto people love it.

I'm going to be doing weber grill smoked lemon pepper chicken wings this weekend. Going to marinate in italian dressing, coat with lemon pepper, then slow smoke. Will be the first time trying this but I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos to prepare so I feel I am ready to go live.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
I'm going to be doing weber grill smoked lemon pepper chicken wings this weekend. Going to marinate in italian dressing, coat with lemon pepper, then slow smoke. Will be the first time trying this but I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos to prepare so I feel I am ready to go live.
Nice. Sounds great ... Italian dressing is great for wings and pork chops ...

I'm planning to do some pulled pork. This time of year, we've got baseball 4-6 days a week so it's nice to freeze some and have some ready for quick meals. Also going to try some wings.

I made some ribs yesterday after the thread had me itching for it. I had just got a Weber Kettle so I was testing that out and they weren't great. I need to get a thermometer to go in the grill as I'm not sure the lid thermometer was accurate.

I am not skilled, equipped, or patient enough to do any of these. I'm an excellent beer fetcher and food taster though

I'm planning to do some pulled pork. This time of year, we've got baseball 4-6 days a week so it's nice to freeze some and have some ready for quick meals. Also going to try some wings.

I made some ribs yesterday after the thread had me itching for it. I had just got a Weber Kettle so I was testing that out and they weren't great. I need to get a thermometer to go in the grill as I'm not sure the lid thermometer was accurate.
That's what I do. I smoke the 2 pack from costco and then freeze a bunch of vacuum sealed dinner sized portions for when we are out at kids sports at night and want a quick easy meal.

Headed to Prairie Meadows for some horse racing. We'll probably eat a Johnny's so I'll have someone else cook my BBQ on Saturday.

May grill something on Sunday, but most likely pork chops or something easy.

Low and slow, and just let it go, baby.

No reason to pamper pork.

Now, the turkey is a different story. You definitely want to inject, brine, add baking powder, let it dry out in the fridge uncovered, rub, shove butter under the skin and do all that other crap. Smoke at high heat and maybe... JUST maybe... the meat will be juicy and the skin won't be rubbery.

YMMV.

I'll probably have a pizza from Casey's. And, sadly, that is the truth.

I'll be BBQing a couple of squamous cell cancers this weekend. Surgeries on Wednesday and Thursday.....I oughtta be drinking by Friday.....drinking and watching it rain, and oozing a bit of blood from my arm and ear. Ohhhh....I'll probably be in a real good mood, too. I love holidays!

I'll be BBQing a couple of squamous cell cancers this weekend. Surgeries on Wednesday and Thursday.....I oughtta be drinking by Friday.....drinking and watching it rain, and oozing a bit of blood from my arm and ear. Ohhhh....I'll probably be in a real good mood, too. I love holidays!

Ts and Ps....

I reverse seared a ribeye last night using a ThermoPro TP20 Wireless thermometer. Great $40 investment for smoking.

It's going to be f-ing hot in Houston next weekend. So planning on working the pits in the back yard. I have a trimmed brisket currently sitting in a pastrami brine solution. I have a turkey breast on the bone that i need to cook because it's been sitting in the deep freeze for a while. I think i'm going to just S&P with a butter injection and cook over pecan and a fruit wood. I usually cook turkey at around 300 degrees?

I'm experimenting with a Vietnamese style bbq that I stole from an episode of Ugly Delicious. The cooks in the episode cooked a whole hog, but i have a shoulder and made a rub of salt, brown sugar, chinese 5-spice and szechuan peppercorns and spray the entire thing down with nuom choc. Thinking of doing a injection of the nuom choc to see if I can infuse more of the funkiness of the fish flavor.

Definitely post some pics of each stage of the Vietnamese style bbq. I’m intrigued.

But I’m not doing anything on Memorial Day except recovering from this vacation I’m on. We’ve doing way too much hiking in high elevations in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado and Utah this week for THIS Floridian. So we’re flying back from Boise on Sun and Monday will be my rest day.

Reactions: goldmom
We're going grouper, dolphin, lobster and hot dogs at/near the beach. I would suggest you do the same

https://www.instagram.com/jupitermagazine/
59547077_283007809292819_2267439280221858938_n.jpg

55862970_1465326110270970_8226413643006555204_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ThorneStockton

McRib is back.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Nothing going on here. Sold my grill during my recent move because the Missus said she’d get me a new one for Dad’s Day. Never been a huge griller but now that I’m retired I plan to invest a little more time on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT