ADVERTISEMENT

Beaches

I would extend east to Mexico Beach, Cape San Blas and SGI.
I should also mention the Tyndall AFB Beach. I haven’t been in years as my parents no longer live in the area and I don’t have access, but it’s untouched for miles and the sound of the jets flying over only helps in my opinion.

Ok I know that a significant portion of y'all have lived in a landlocked state and have never beheld the sunrise or sunset over the ocean. But that said I am aware that many of you travel. Where then is your "Beach"

red-tide-1-us-er-230308_1678301294049_hpMain_16x9_1600.jpg

This is your future in Florida with regular Red Tides.

Bald head island, nc. No more than 25 or so retail establishments of any kind on the island. You ride around on golf carts. Old Baldy light house. inland waterway kayaking. A nice golf course. You can go to the beach in the morning and maintain a social distance of a quarter mile or so. Turtle nesting. The surf, as is typical for NC, is interesting enough to play in. at low tide, at the shoal, you can walk a good 1/2 mile out into the ocean in ankle deep water. If you have to go to the mainland, or inexplicably like Myrtle Beach, it's an easy day trip. If you're really lucky, you might run into Bill Bennett.

That's where my son went for Spring Break this year. His buddy's parents own a place out there. He had a great time riding around on the golf cart and playing tons of pickleball.

Reactions: Aardvark86
Ok I know that a significant portion of y'all have lived in a landlocked state and have never beheld the sunrise or sunset over the ocean. But that said I am aware that many of you travel. Where then is your "Beach"
Poipu kauai

That's where my son went for Spring Break this year. His buddy's parents own a place out there. He had a great time riding around on the golf cart and playing tons of pickleball.
Younger kids like the carts. I like the quiet.

Quiet is the best.
Funny story. I went down there one summer, and mid week I'm sitting at the Marvelous Market having a quiet morning coffee with my wife. Suddenly I hear this very familiar voice with a distinctive NC accent a couple of tables over. I listen a little closer, and he's talking about drug pricing and PBM rebate contracts. Turned out to be one of my clients.

Playa Norte in Isla Mujeres MX. It's gotten a lot more popular and commercialized over the years but still a fantastic beach.

It's on the northwest side of the island so you get nice sunsets and tends to miss the worst of the Sargassum because of it.

playa-norte-752x440.jpg

isla-mujeres-y-punta-norte-768x470.jpg

Reactions: hawkfan0319
I had 6 sunsets in a row in SoCal last time I was out there. Favorite beach?

Good question though.

Stayed in a little cabin on First Beach way up in NW Washington near Olympic national park. Love the pacific ocean and big waves.

Got stoned at sunset and watched the waves. Magical. Fire on the beach wasn't bad either.
Quiluete-Oceanside-Resort-e1650414578402.png

La-Push-e1599588293480.jpg

Lodging:

Reactions: hawkfan0319
I concur with the others on the panhandle of Florida beaches - it's literally miles and miles of clear emerald blue water and crazy fine/soft sand from Pensacola to PCB. Condos kinda f it up in some areas, but that stretch of 30A between them and the stretch at Mexico Beach are simply awesome

Have been to Dominican, Cancun, and the crappy beaches of TX. Haven't been to Destin yet. For me it's any beach between Clearwater & St Pete Beach. A balcony facing the sunset, cold drinks, I'm all good. We've been going to that area at least once a year the past 10 years.

You dont think the Dead Zone will affect the whole Gulf? Hmmmmmm ok
Have you been to the panhandle? I’m sure it will impact it long term, but I’ll reiterate, Louisiana and Mississippi ain’t Florida. It’s the fertilizer and septic tanks that cause our problems. All you northerners and olds love the lush green grass on our golf courses.

Reactions: Red Hills Nole
Have you been to the panhandle? I’m sure it will impact it long term, but I’ll reiterate, Louisiana and Mississippi ain’t Florida. It’s the fertilizer and septic tanks that cause our problems. All you northerners and olds love the lush green grass on our golf courses.

Only from Nov-March. The rest of the time its a burning hell. I know I lived in tampa for a time.

Honopu Beach of Kauai, Hawaii off the Na Pali Coast. Pictures don't do it justice like seeing on person, which is true for most things.
4694624529_b004271b2b_b.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

82009f9c3c5e8a97224b727c72a2ca36.jpg
Oh yeah, I've done the Napali Hike. Walking around a corner or over a little rise and getting hit with a clould of tropical floral perfume. Ruined a really good pair of hiking boots in the red mud. All worth it, and enjoyed a pretty good burger at Hanelei at the place with the "We Cheat Tourists, Drunks, and Attorneys" slogan.

Honestly, it's really not even fair to include any beaches, anywhere, in a competition with Hawaii.

• Love
Reactions: pink shizzle
Here. You can thank me later.

I have been going here for the past 25 years. I fly into John Wayne Airport, it's a ten minute cab ride or Uber to a rental on or near the beach. Weather is 70's pretty much all year around, just try to avoid February as it's rainy. Restaurants, bars and a grocery store are all within walking distance. You can rent bikes and hit the boardwalk which goes on for miles, bike, blade, etc. The scenery is phenomenal and I'm not just talking about the beach/ocean. The locals are very chill and welcoming.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
Bald head island, nc. No more than 25 or so retail establishments of any kind on the island. You ride around on golf carts. Old Baldy light house. inland waterway kayaking. A nice golf course. You can go to the beach in the morning and maintain a social distance of a quarter mile or so. Turtle nesting. The surf, as is typical for NC, is interesting enough to play in. at low tide, at the shoal, you can walk a good 1/2 mile out into the ocean in ankle deep water. If you have to go to the mainland, or inexplicably like Myrtle Beach, it's an easy day trip. If you're really lucky, you might run into Bill Bennett.
Love Bald Head Island. Terrific place to relax.

Reactions: Aardvark86
Many thanks to all responders. Here would be a nice trip for you poor unfortunate upper midwesterners. Travel however you may to Tallahassee. Preferably for your own comfort either late February to late May or mid October to @ thanksgiving. Travel then to Apalachicola and get a balcony room at the Gibson Inn and shop around the small town center and dine on the fine local seafood. Maybe visit the John Gorrie historical site( he came up with the process of refrigeration). Get up early the next day meaning no later than 5 am and drive back across the bay and then again over the bridge to St. George Island and watch the sunrise over apalachee bay. Frolic on the great beaches if you like. Then return to your hotel for a nap or nooner. Then get up and since all of us are multibazillionaires have your driver/bodyguard take you west on 98 to 30a and on to Cape San Blas and watch the glorious sunset on the dunes. Get back in your carriage and stop at the Indian Pass Raw Bar for a night of food and drink at one of the few remaining slices of old Florida coastal culture.
Of note: If you intend to travel in october or november make sure FSU doesn't have a home game or normal prices may well be trebled or worse. Also it is still Hurricane season then.

Dont get me wrong. I am furious about it and what we are doing to all our states. My state is a mess of poor water quality that no one is doing anything about at all. Its disgusting. We have a compromised environment. The IDNR knows this. No one wants to bear the costs of existence.

In Florida its the septic tanks, etc. Fertilizers also about killed Lake OkeeChobee. The Everglades are one of our national treasures. On a level with Glacier or Yellowstone. I am very passionate about this and people wonder why I am angry. We have a corrupt bought and paid for government allowing it to kill our natural world.

Partial to Napili Bay. Nice beach, great snorkeling, drinks overlooking the bay.

Sanibel lighthouse, Ft Myers beach, siesta key Beach are our favorites.
we did Ft Myers last year and really enjoyed it, now the island is nearly completely gone of course

we are going to Siesta Beach later this week, any recommendations on fun things to do or places to eat?

we did Ft Myers last year and really enjoyed it, now the island is nearly completely gone of course

we are going to Siesta Beach later this week, any recommendations on fun things to do or places to eat?
We loved the File fish at Captain Curt's. Their clam chowder is incredible too. Turtle's was really good. We went to The Hub Baja Grill and that was decent too.

Reactions: QChawks
Several years ago we were on vacation at our daughter
and son-in-law's home at Point Loma in San Diego.
From their front porch deck on a July evening I saw
a blazing red sunset over the Pacific Ocean. It was a
spectacular scene my wife and I will never forget.

Several years ago we were on vacation at our daughter
and son-in-law's home at Point Loma in San Diego.
From their front porch deck on a July evening I saw
a blazing red sunset over the Pacific Ocean. It was a
spectacular scene my wife and I will never forget.
that seems like a lot of words for a haiku

great-lakes-muskegon-cruise-dunes-shoreline-michigan-rfs_orig.jpg

Lake Michigan at Muskegon Michigan.

It is heaven!

If we are considering out of the lower 48, then Kaanapali Beach in Maui

Reactions: Twoooooooo

Mar Vista in Longboat Key. Bring a dollar to up on the wall. Get the crab cakes and whatever the catch of the day is. They just caught it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT