ADVERTISEMENT

Beaches

Playa Norte in Isla Mujeres MX. It's gotten a lot more popular and commercialized over the years but still a fantastic beach.

It's on the northwest side of the island so you get nice sunsets and tends to miss the worst of the Sargassum because of it.

playa-norte-752x440.jpg

isla-mujeres-y-punta-norte-768x470.jpg
Came here to post this. Was on a work reward trip to Cancun in May. We took a day trip to Isla Majeres and wish we could have spent them entire 5 days there. That white sandy spot in pic 2 is where we walked out into the water. We plan to take a trip and stay there for our next vacation.

Came here to post this. Was on a work reward trip to Cancun in May. We took a day trip to Isla Majeres and wish we could have spent them entire 5 days there. That white sandy spot in pic 2 is where we walked out into the water. We plan to take a trip and stay there for our next vacation.

I hope you like your vacation there, it's a special place to me. I've been going to Isla Mujeres since I was a kid, starting in the late 90s till now in my early 30s, been 15+ times.

Although it's changed over the years, meaning more popular and more commercialized, it's still a wonderful place.

I think it's objectively a great destination in terms of what I like in a beach destination, but also special to me in terms of family memories and the such.

Hopefully you feel something similar there.

I hope you like your vacation there, it's a special place to me. I've been going to Isla Mujeres since I was a kid, starting in the late 90s till now in my early 30s, been 15+ times.

Although it's changed over the years, meaning more popular and more commercialized, it's still a wonderful place.

I think it's objectively a great destination in terms of what I like in a beach destination, but also special to me in terms of family memories and the such.

Hopefully you feel something similar there.
Where have you stayed when you go?

Mokulē'ia Army Beach near Dillingham Field on the North Shore of O'ahu. It's a few miles west of Hale'iwa. Almost entirely locals, gets a lot of people but not crowded. A LOT of kite surfers go there.

For surfing I prefer Kawailoa, which is NE of Hale'iwa.

Where have you stayed when you go?

Just about always stay on Playa Norte/North Beach. Would always recommend staying there if the budget allows for it, and if you want to be on the beach.

Almost always stay at Nauti Beach Condos, great location, good pool, well cared for rooms, most of which are two bedrooms, so good for families. As the name indicates, they are individually owned condos, so the rooms are all slightly differently appointed based on the taste of the owners. But it still feels like a hotel in terms of services and what not.

Also have stayed at Ixchel Beach Hotel, which is essentially right next door, I'd say comparable or slightly nicer pools, similar level of service and comparable quality of rooms, not 5 star luxury but also not run down discount either.

We are not all inclusive people and I don't think all inclusive is the best way to experience Isla Mujeres. However, if that's your thing, the main two options are Mia Reef - that one that looks like it's own island connected by a foot bridge - and Privileges Aluxes which is among the fanciest/most expensive options. Don't know too much about these places.

Lotus Beach Hotel is probably another one to look at that is an example of the advancement in Isla Mujeres tourism, that location used to be a pretty rustic hotel, now it looks pretty fancy.

I think Isla Mujeres is perfect for people whose idea of a beach vacation consists of a great beach, a nice pool, great beach bars, great restaurants, interesting shops and all of it easily walkable without having to rent or taxi anywhere if you don't feel. There's also a handful of one off "excursion" type things like renting a golf cart, scuba/snorkeling, and things like that, but generally not a ton of stuff "to do" other than relax.

Hope some of that helps.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
Lighthouse Beach (Eleuthera)

Punta Sur (Cozumel)

Runaway Bay (Jamaica)

Bahia Honda (Florida Keys)

Southwest Florida beaches (Venice to Marco Island)

I would extend east to Mexico Beach, Cape San Blas and SGI.

Definitely east of Panama City is better than west of Pensacola. Pensacola is the last of the pure white sand moving west. After that it's "white" in the same way the Atlantic side of Florida has white sand...ie it's not really until it's been heavily photoshopped.

On a different note, I will say the only "city beach" I've enjoyed was Bondi Beach in Sydney. The rest (whether in Honolulu, Miami, LA, Virginia Beach, etc...) are not my cup of tea.

15 Best Beaches in the World
Wife and I are trying to hit all of these beaches. So far we have visited:
#2 Bora Bora
#6 Maldives
#8 Tahiti
#11 Maui
We are big fans of Aruba, and have been there 3 times, and going again in Sept. We love Baby Beach
Baby-Beach-Fendaux.jpg

Love the Gulf beaches of the Florida Panhandle but we also LOVE Anna Maria Island.
Jamaica near Dunn’s Falls. St. Thomas.

Beach Towns? Different altogether. New Smyrna, Flagler Beach, Key Biscayne, Vilano Beach.
I like Shell Point for a different reason -
SUPER quiet. Little old Mexico Beach cause it’s pretty peaceful too.
No beaches in Cali impressed me, which was surprising. Same with Maui.

Love the Gulf beaches of the Florida Panhandle but we also LOVE Anna Maria Island.
Jamaica near Dunn’s Falls. St. Thomas.

Beach Towns? Different altogether. New Smyrna, Flagler Beach, Key Biscayne, Vilano Beach.
I like Shell Point for a different reason -
SUPER quiet. Little old Mexico Beach cause it’s pretty peaceful too.
No beaches in Cali impressed me, which was surprising. Same with Maui.
I liked Solona beach north of San Diego, but damn that Pacific is COLD!!

We stayed at Privileges Aluxes on Isla in April, had a great time. We did the all inclusive mostly for the drinks, breakfast and lunch, then went out for dinner, the AI option was only $32 extra/day/pp. It is a great island to wander and feel safe. The resort was pretty nice, huge rooms, but the drink selection was not that great. Love the hole in the wall bars/food carts.

15 Best Beaches in the World
Wife and I are trying to hit all of these beaches. So far we have visited:
#2 Bora Bora
#6 Maldives
#8 Tahiti
#11 Maui
We are big fans of Aruba, and have been there 3 times, and going again in Sept. We love Baby Beach

I'm not sure how they determined what a "best beaches" constitutes. It's obviously more than one beach but less than a whole state as it lists just Maui and not Hawaii in total. Regardless of how you do it, I've yet to come across beaches as beautiful as those in the Florida panhandle especially when the blue lupine is blooming across the entire dunes. That area doesn't have white sand like the Pacific and Atlantic beaches which is made up of Parrotfish poop (ie crushed limestone coral) but is actually clear quartz which just looks white because of the sun. And that makes both a big difference to the temperature on your feet as well as how pure "white" it looks. Plus in certain areas you get freshwater dune lakes and rivers flowing past the high white dunes.

While other areas may have coral reefs to swim out to which provides a second activity, the actual beach itself is best in the Florida panhandle.

Based solely on my personal visits, I would rank my Top 25 Best "Beaches" as

1) Florida Panhandle (Pensacola to St. George)
2) Maui
3) Fiji
4) Central California (Pacifica to Big Sur)
5) US Virgin Islands
6) Bermuda
7) Gold Coast Australia (Brisbane to Sydney)
8) West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand (Fiordland to Abel Tasman)
9) St. Lucia
10) Northern Coast of the North Island of New Zealand (Northland to Bay of Plenty)
11) Turks and Caicos
12) ABC Islands
13) Big Island of Hawaii
14) Anguila
15) Florida Gulf Coast (Clearwater to Naples/Kice Island)
16) Roatan Honduras
17) Oahu
18) St Martin/St. Maarten
19) Martinique
20) St Vincent and the Grenadines
21) British Virgin Islands
22) Bahamas
23) Barbados
24) Belize
25) Outer Banks of North Carolina

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts