ADVERTISEMENT

Beard Commits to PSU

Well, for the record, I am a PSU fan and would love to read Strittmatter etc. posts on your board.
And, if you read the coaches post, I believe he said he kept has mouth closed during the recruiting. You will believe that or not, given your innate bias, which we all, including me, have.

And yet 1stplace made absolutely no comment on the bias of said coach...just the reaction PSU fans would have if Strittmatter posted here.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Great point, and Warner is a stud, no doubt. I personally love who we have coming in, but there is always something in my head asking, "how in the hell are they getting it done". :).

Let's just stay in our lane, focus on the studs we have in house and the ones that are coming the next two falls and watch them win a few titles! Independent of what PSU is bringing in.
What he said.

I remember Phil Hartman [impersonating Sinatra] using the 'chunks in my stool' line back in 90's SNL as well. Back when I used to watch more.

That's exactly where I got it from. The Sinatra Group skits. I don't know how to link to youtube, but go there and search "You don't scare me - Phil Hartman"

Penn state is hot right now and doing well reloading talent. Its just the way it is but I sure wish they were in a different conference since they may have some kids xfer out instead of waiting out a log jam. The inner conference transfer rules will keep us from being a consideration. Once we get outside of the big ten oky st is probably a top consideration for a kid wanting to transfer to a title contender.
That transfer rule no longer exists. Just the normal 1 year NCAA seat on the bench.

For wrestling? When did that happen?
Well, how did Jered Cortez get to Penn State? Sat one year per NCAA rules. Was pretty sure that was an across the board rule change. Took place a few years ago. Cortez was at Illinois originally.

Well, how did Jered Cortez get to Penn State? Sat one year per NCAA rules. Was pretty sure that was an across the board rule change. Took place a few years ago. Cortez was at Illinois originally.
From the linked article:

Due to NCAA and Big Ten regulations for intra-conference transfers, Cortez will lose an entire year of eligibility. A red-shirt freshman this year, Cortez is competing only unattached this year and will be a sophomore for Penn State next season.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/012816aac.html

Am pretty sure that an intra-conference transfer is still more penalizing than an inter-conference transfer, but reading the NCAA rulebook is a dicey proposition..

From the linked article:

Due to NCAA and Big Ten regulations for intra-conference transfers, Cortez will lose an entire year of eligibility. A red-shirt freshman this year, Cortez is competing only unattached this year and will be a sophomore for Penn State next season.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/012816aac.html
Correct, 1 year, but he can still transfer. Previously, coaches could put restrictions on where a student athlete could transfer to. The 1 year is an NCAA rule across the board in all sports.

Correct, 1 year, but he can still transfer. Previously, coaches could put restrictions on where a student athlete could transfer to. The 1 year is an NCAA rule across the board in all sports.
Okay, I see where you were going with that. If Cortez wanted to go to ASU and Illinois gave him a full release, he could have started the next season. If they didn't give his release, the NCAA rule would have kicked in and he would have lost a year. In Cortez' transfer to PSU, there is no decision. He sits a year regardless of whether the school releases him or not. A slight, but important difference I think.

Okay, I see where you were going with that. If Cortez wanted to go to ASU and Illinois gave him a full release, he could have started the next season. If they didn't give his release, the NCAA rule would have kicked in and he would have lost a year. In Cortez' transfer to PSU, there is no decision. He sits a year regardless of whether the school releases him or not. A slight, but important difference I think.
There's a one year sit no matter what per the NCAA. What was in place, was a staff could put restrictions on where an athlete could go. For instance, a direct competitor that's in your schedule. That part no longer exists.

There's a one year sit no matter what per the NCAA. What was in place, was a staff could put restrictions on where an athlete could go. For instance, a direct competitor that's in your schedule. That part no longer exists.
I disagree with the bolded part for wrestling, but I've been wrong many times in my life so will not be surprised if the Hawkeye sleepyheads agree with you. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotshoe
I disagree with the bolded part for wrestling, but I've been wrong many times in my life so will not be surprised if the Hawkeye sleepyheads agree with you. :)
That usually depends on the level of the transfer. Div 1 to Div 1 has always been a one year sit. For instance, when Pat Devlin transferred to Delaware, he could play at QB, right away. Same with Troy Reeder, lbr. Our new CB from Texas, can't remember which school, he's sitting out one year per NCAA.

That usually depends on the level of the transfer. Div 1 to Div 1 has always been a one year sit. For instance, when Pat Devlin transferred to Delaware, he could play at QB, right away. Same with Troy Reeder, lbr. Our new CB from Texas, can't remember which school, he's sitting out one year per NCAA.
That is precisely why we disagree. I recall that football has different transfer rules than sports like wrestling. I don't think you could find a wrestling example. If only my buddy Roarlions would see this. He sleeps with a copy of the rulebook in his arms at night I think. lol

Anyway, good discussion.

That is precisely why we disagree. I recall that football has different transfer rules than sports like wrestling. I don't think you could find a wrestling example. If only my buddy Roarlions would see this. He sleeps with a copy of the rulebook in his arms at night I think. lol
I'm not quite sure what you're disagreeing with, but maybe someone can chime in. I know Cortez sat a year due to the NCAA rule. That applies to all sports to the best of my knowledge. That's not changing.

From: http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

Exception: If you meet a legislated exception, it means a specific regulation will not apply to you. The school to which you are transferring determines whether you are eligible and has the authority to apply exceptions.

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

• You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
  • You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
  • You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.
Waiver: An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver, the conference office or NCAA does.

I'm not quite sure what you're disagreeing with, but maybe someone can chime in. I know Cortez sat a year due to the NCAA rule. That applies to all sports to the best of my knowledge. That's not changing.
NCAA Rules allow for a one-time transfer, and wrestling immediately for the new school, if certain criteria is met. The first link below contains the information...too wordy to write here...but is tied to getting a Full Release from their school. The 2nd link below is an ESPN article on the B1G Transfer Rules change from 2011-12.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE42016.pdf

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas.../58173/big-ten-makes-changes-to-transfer-rule

Edit: saw Tiger jumped in while I was typing...agree with his comment re. transfer of Cortez.

"Olympic" sports vs revenue sports like basketball and football play by different transfer rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT