ADVERTISEMENT

beetleGONE / grubGONE - anyone have any experience with these for Japanese beetle control?

Joes Place

HB King
Aug 28, 2003

Not cheap stuff, but haven't found anything that slows the beetles down much. Neem oil worked for me the first year; didn't seem to bother them last year.

Trying to keep them off my raspberries this year.

Not cheap stuff, but haven't found anything that slows the beetles down much. Neem oil worked for me the first year; didn't seem to bother them last year.

Trying to keep them off my raspberries this year.

I applied milky spore bacterium to my front yard a couple of years ago. Last year, while I did still have Japanese beetles in July, the numbers were down substantially and I expect there will be even less this year. I don't know how many of the beetles migrated in from elsewhere as opposed to directly from my own turf as they love linden trees and will fly in from nearby to devour the foliage. Some studies suggest that the agent in GrubGONE & BeetleGone are more effective than milky spore, but I'll probably wait and see what this summer's infestation looks like before I'd apply that treatment too. I think there's an old thread here on this subject if you look for it. Good luck.

Reactions: Joes Place
I applied milky spore bacterium to my front yard a couple of years ago. Last year, while I did still have Japanese beetles in July, the numbers were down substantially and I expect there will be even less this year. I don't know how many of the beetles migrated in from elsewhere as opposed to directly from my own turf as they love linden trees and will fly in from nearby to devour the foliage. Some studies suggest that the agent in GrubGONE & BeetleGone are more effective than milky spore, but I'll probably wait and see what this summer's infestation looks like before I'd apply that treatment too. I think there's an old thread here on this subject if you look for it. Good luck.
Was going to put down the milky spore, but found varying experience on that, including some extension services that claimed it may not work all that well. If it at least kills the grubs, it does make them fly in from elsewhere. Advantage (alleged) for BeetleGONE is it kills adults, so that combo with something to control the grubs would seem to work best.

They devour the linden tree across from my folks house; and I think you can use imidacloprid or the tree plugs to kill them off, which are both pretty inexpensive and bee-safe on non-flowering foliage.

I've got flowering stuff and berries near where I need to combat them, so most of those pesticides are a no-no, as well as really bad for bees that forage on the raspberries and VA creeper regularly. So, anything I use needs to be bee-safe.

This stuff says ok for fruits & vegetables, but I didn't see anything regarding bees.

You can, but it's a 14-21 day wait from last application to when you can harvest.
That's fine for things like apples or plums, that harvest late; no good for berry fruits that produce all summer.

Also lists as "highly toxic" to bees and fish. So, not usable on things that bees forage on.

Environmental Hazards
This product is extremely toxic to fish. To protect the environment, do not allow pesticide to enter or run off into storm drains, drainage ditches, gutters or surface waters. Applying this product in calm weather when rain is not predicted for the next 24 hours will help to ensure that wind or rain does not blow or wash pesticide off the treatment area. Rinsing application equipment over the treated area will help avoid runoff to water bodies or drainage systems. Drift and runoff from treated areas may be hazardous to aquatic organisms in neighboring areas.
This product is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment or residues on blooming crops or weeds. Do not apply this product or allow it to drift to blooming crops or weeds if bees are visiting the treatment area.

Ah, bummer. We use it on our landscape plants (no blooming plants or fruits) and a couple birch trees that seem to get hit every summer. It knocks down Japanese beetles like nobody's business..

ForcefulBlandBustard-size_restricted.gif

Ah, bummer. We use it on our landscape plants (no blooming plants or fruits) and a couple birch trees that seem to get hit every summer. It knocks down Japanese beetles like nobody's business..
Broad spectrum stuff, that's really bad for anything you don't want to kill.
Used carefully, those are fine; but people often ignore the labels.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT