ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Kueter matches?

The question was meant to be IF Keuter only wrestles five matches, which five matches would you want him to wrestle. But of course, we can't answer the question. The realist in my wonders how long until someone mentions AJ at 285....
I didn’t answer the question the way you wanted because I think the scenario proposed (Kueter wrestling only 5 matches) would be a poor coaching decision. If Kueter is going to stay in redshirt, then Hill should get all the scheduled matches (unless he is too ill or dinged up to go on a particular date).

Getting work in for Kueter should be via the open circuit. Our March guy needs all the scheduled matches — both for experience and for building a resume for seeding.

Here is my thoughts on how this year plays out.
125: Drake is a title threat and I would be very disappointed with anything lower than 8th.
133: Teske will be the guy and will go 2-2 at best I'm afraid.
141: Woods needs to be a champ.
149: Rathjen goes and is a blood round guy, but could sneak onto the podium. Give him a whole B10 season to improve. RS Anthony Ferrari
157: Franek is a top 5 with a shot at Saturday night.
165: MC is the guy and needs to make the podium, which will be no cakewalk.
174: PK goes this year and it will be tough to make it past the blood round I'm afraid. Gabe RS and steps in as a title contender next year.
184: Riggins and we don't qualify.
197: Glazier and I think he is a legit AA. He has jumped levels and deserves the spot. AJ ORS if he joins the team.
285: BK gets some matches and they go with him if he is beating Hill in the room, which I hope he is.

I think they roll with what they have, which is a solid dual team. It will be a dog fight to get a team trophy for the Hawks. We need to get 125, 141, and 157 wrestling on Saturday night mixed with a couple more AA to have something to sell to recruits and transfers moving forward. Sorry for the long post.
My thoughts exactly!

Reactions: blcoach80
As long as he is 220, has the strength, and speed to cut the corner he should be good. More size would be ideal, especially without needing to cut so you know that is a true walking around weight. I think Ben will be just fine as long as he doesn't get caught underneath a 265-285 behemoth.
He will wrestle some very large men, and will be under them as well.

Kueter will be more athletic than just about anyone he wrestles. He’ll be just fine

Reactions: eb05
He's weighing in the 230's now. He's a 6 foot 3 linebacker so 240-245 would be ideal.

There is going to be another kid in a few more years probably doing the exact thing Kueter is doing. Dreshaun Ross from Fort Dodge. He's a soph wrestling 215 and is one of the top kids in the country at his weight and is a stud football player also.

If he’s good enough to leave for the pros early in a few years he’ll find his way on to the field.

He’s not going to jump Higgins or Jackson, zero chance.

Fisher announced he’s returning as well. Can he take reps at LEO?

BK won’t get many LB reps next year unless he beats out Fisher.

Reactions: pink shizzle
125: Drake is a title threat and I would be very disappointed with anything lower than 8th.
149: Rathjen goes and is a blood round guy, but could sneak onto the podium. Give him a whole B10 season to improve. RS Anthony Ferrari
174: PK goes this year and it will be tough to make it past the blood round I'm afraid. Gabe RS and steps in as a title contender next year.
197: Glazier and I think he is a legit AA. He has jumped levels and deserves the spot. AJ ORS if he joins the team.
285: BK gets some matches and they go with him if he is beating Hill in the room, which I hope he is.

I think they roll with what they have, which is a solid dual team. It will be a dog fight to get a team trophy for the Hawks. We need to get 125, 141, and 157 wrestling on Saturday night mixed with a couple more AA to have something to sell to recruits and transfers moving forward. Sorry for the long post.
Coach, are you announcing that Gabe is going to use the Red Shirt this year?

I feel like you are mistaking me for the wrong "coach". But to answer your question with no insider info, yes I think PK is the Hawks 174lber this year and Gabe RS. I also think we see Gabe another time or two yet this year as well though.
I know Gabe really wants a crack at Starocci but I would like to see him against Bernie in the PSU dual. I know he's not a fan of wrestling up at 184 but I think he could beat Bernie. I think we can get wins at 125, 141, 149, 165 and 184. Franek has an outside chance of getting a win as well. Then use his last date vs Illinois, Okie st, or Michigan.

I know Gabe really wants a crack at Starocci but I would like to see him against Bernie in the PSU dual. I know he's not a fan of wrestling up at 184 but I think he could beat Bernie. I think we can get wins at 125, 141, 149, 165 and 184. Franek has an outside chance of getting a win as well. Then use his last date vs Illinois, Okie st, or Michigan.
Honestly, that's not a bad idea.

Ben not being happy with his performance not surprising but also not surprising he isn't at a level he wants to be at or is accustomed to being at. As long as it's a part time thing it's going to be difficult for him to be the fine tuned wrestler that won a world title. Besides the conditioning he seemed a bit clumsy is some of his movements which is also to be expected. Each year it's going to take time to get conditioning and timing down and there will be some progress that he just doesn't make due to missed mat time. Hopefully there is an open he can get to because getting some matches would be very beneficial.

I looked today and didn't see the Ferrari's enrolled at Iowa. I very easily could have been looking in the wrong place or it maybe too soon to be listed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT