ADVERTISEMENT

Best 12 minutes of ball from Iowa since?

tony0051

HR MVP
Mar 29, 2006
From about the 16&1/2 minute mark to just around the 5 min mark Iowa went on a 27-12 run to extend out to 21 PT lead. Trying to think of a time when Iowa played a better stretch of ball. I know in some big wins Iowa has just constantly stretched leads but I don't remember a run of such a blitzing in a game. Anyone else?

From about the 16&1/2 minute mark to just around the 5 min mark Iowa went on a 27-12 run to extend out to 21 PT lead. Trying to think of a time when Iowa played a better stretch of ball. I know in some big wins Iowa has just constantly stretched leads but I don't remember a run of such a blitzing in a game. Anyone else?

Start of 2nd half at Purdue last year (2015-16 season).

I'll give you 20 minutes....
First half vs. UNLV.
NCAA West Regional Final
Sunday, March 22, 1987.
Too bad the second half was such a pile of crap! Weren't the Hawks up like 16 at the half? How many times has Iowa lost to the team that won the tourney? Always seems like we get a bad draw........

For the old timers. Iowa over ND 1970 NCAA regional consolation game after losing to Jacksonville. Iowa scored 75 points in the first half.
At the time that was a tourney record for a half. Does anyone know if that still stands? Hawk I Bob?

For the old timers. Iowa over ND 1970 NCAA regional consolation game after losing to Jacksonville. Iowa scored 75 points in the first half.
I've always wondered for 'consolation' games, especially when it was at the regional level, how much the teams were into it. The season and some basketball careers are essentially over for the players. One team might be pissed off at a dude named Pembrook Burrows, III from the previous game and the other team might be apathetic to the whole situation.

I've always wondered for 'consolation' games, especially when it was at the regional level, how much the teams were into it. The season and some basketball careers are essentially over for the players. One team might be pissed off at a dude named Pembrook Burrows, III from the previous game and the other team might be apathetic to the whole situation.

This was partially the case. Iowa knew we had a chance to win the national championship that year and they didn't get it done. They were pissed off and Notre Dame paid for it.

Believe me that team didn't need a shot clock! They averaged over a 100pts per game in the Big with no three point shot!

Did a little checking. The Hawks took 98 shots and Notre Dame took 97. Austin Carr took 39 shots and had 45 points. Calabria and Johnson both had 31 points for the Hawks. Calabria took 22 shots and Johnson 31.

Here's another one. 1987 comeback win against Illinois. Hawks were down 22 with 16 minutes to go.

Last edited:
Here's another one. 1987 comeback win against Illinois. Hawks were down 22 with 16 minutes to go.

Remember that. I was 7. We were driving home from somewhere listening on the radio. Iowa went on the run so we had to stop at a relative's along the way home to watch the end on TV

1st round game against GW when i was like 11 I remember Iowa being down 18 points with 8 minutes left. Settles was a junior i believe we went on to win the game with the press.

GW had a tiny PG who was good and a 7
Footer who was really good. Don't recall the final score though.

Also the comback that BTN classics always shows which is @michigan state after street died, we were down like 20ish will not much time left.

Those two come to mind.

Last edited:

Only heard that game on Radio back in the day. Unbelievable half. Wish there was a you tube!

Wasn't that just a couple games after Streets death?
No, the game after Street died with the big comeback was against MSU or Michigan. I would submit the second half of the Georgetown game in 1980 when we were down 15 at the half and Waite tipped in a shot with time expiring to win. Vince Brookins was unconscious that day.

Reactions: skydog0784
No, the game after Street died with the big comeback was against MSU or Michigan. I would submit the second half of the Georgetown game in 1980 when we were down 15 at the half and Waite tipped in a shot with time expiring to win. Vince Brookins was unconscious that day.
Yes I know the game against MSU was the next game after Chris died. Thats why I said a couple of games after. Seem to remember Earl and Lohaus coming up big in the second half of that game.

Yes I know the game against MSU was the next game after Chris died. Thats why I said a couple of games after. Seem to remember Earl and Lohaus coming up big in the second half of that game.

IIRC the Hawks were down like 13 with 3:00 to go and we caught em.

1st round game against GW when i was like 11 I remember Iowa being down 18 points with 8 minutes left. Settles was a junior i beleive we went on to win the game with the press.

GW had a tiny PG who was good and s 7
Footer who was really good. Don't recall the final score though.

Also the comback that BTN classics always shows which is @michigan state after street died , we were down like 20ish will not much time left.

Those two come to mind.

I was at that game vs GW in Tempe. Awesome game.

5'3" point guard was Rogers; 7-footer was Alexander Koul

Here are some clips at the point when we make the comeback (Parts 7,8, and 9):

Reactions: FairfIowafan1984
I was at that game vs GW in Tempe. Awesome game.

5'3" point guard was Rogers; 7-footer was Alexander Koul

Here are some clips at the point when we make the comeback (Parts 7,8, and 9):

Wow it was worse than I thought we were down 17 with over 4 mins left in the game that is the best comeback imo.

That Iowa team was stack with talent wow!!!

Lol edit that it was 7 points but we were down 18 with 8 mins left in the game it was a amazing comeback thanks for the clips!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT