ADVERTISEMENT

11 straight fouls on Iowa

Fran-Con-2

HR All-State
Nov 17, 2019
I know everyone will attack me and say we lost because of Fran - which is fine - but something has to be said about the role officiating played in tilting this game.

• At 13:25, Maryland gets called for their 4th team foul. Iowa leads 50-42
  • *refs then called 11 straight fouls on iowa
  • At 0:56, Maryland gets called for their 5th team foul. Iowa down 64-72. And the game is pretty much over.

So over the course of the final 12 minutes of the game the refs call 11 straight fouls on Iowa - giving Maryland 16 free throws to Iowas 0!

Yea I know the tired story: rebound, defense, hustle. But we were literally doing all of those things (and controlling the game) up until about the 13 minute mark of the game. Then what changed? This was a lost season and we dropped way too many winnable games - but in this particular game it objectively felt like the refs chopped us down at the legs.

I know everyone will attack me and say we lost because of Fran - which is fine - but something has to be said about the role officiating played in tilting this game.

At 13:25, Maryland gets called for their 4th team foul. Iowa leads 50-42

*refs then called 11 straight fouls on iowa

At 0:56, Maryland gets called for their 5th team foul. Iowa down 64-72. And the game is pretty much over.

So over the course of the final 12 minutes of the game the refs call 11 straight fouls on Iowa - giving Maryland 16 free throws to iowas 0!

Yea I know the tired story: rebound, defense, hustle. But we were literally doing all of those things (and controlling the game) up until about the 13 minute mark of the game. Then what changed?

This was a lost season and we dropped way too many winnable games - but in this particular game it objectively felt like the refs chopped us down at the legs.
Were any of the fouls in question actually questionable?........

Were any of the fouls in question actually questionable?........

It was more a case that lot of physical contact allowed by Maryland, not on Iowa. Payton barely touched a guy and got a foul.

The last game vs Minny, Minnesota got called for 2X the fouls as Iowa. Refs are going to give bad whistle some games. Iowa couldn't rum their offense vs guys that were physical, faster, stronger.

It was more a case that lot of physical contact allowed by Maryland, not on Iowa. Payton barely touched a guy and got a foul.

The last game vs Minny, Minnesota got called for 2X the fouls as Iowa. Refs are going to give bad whistle some games. Iowa couldn't rum their offense vs guys that were physical, faster, stronger.
Last point is fair, but I'll just say this - Iowa was playing physical with Maryland and leading all game. Refs were calling it pretty evenly until the final stretch.

If the refs are going to call it a certain way all game, that's fine, your team has the entire game to adjust. But to completely change the way you're blowing the whistle in the final quarter of the game is a tough pill to swallow.

Last point is fair, but I'll just say this - Iowa was playing physical with Maryland and leading all game. Refs were calling it pretty evenly until the final stretch.

If the refs are going to call it a certain way all game, that's fine, your team has the entire game to adjust. But to completely change the way you're blowing the whistle in the final quarter of the game is a tough pill to swallow.
This is what had me pissed off about it. I prefer a more free flowing game but they were calling it evenly and both teams had adjusted to how it was being called. And then it flipped for Iowa we started getting called and Maryland didn't.

I still don't think that's an excuse to lose. We couldn't shoot at all. However, the little of the 2nd half I did see, I agree with the physicality being allowed on one side and not the other.

One game changer was when Iowa had the ball in their own court and the refs called time out because the other team had lost a shoe. I didn't know this was a rule. So the next time we have a player fall down then they shouldn't let the other team have a 5 to 4 advantage.
They stoled the inbounds pass, made a three and that really changed the flow of the game>!!! BS

I noticed the same thing. Maryland was bumping the hell out of Tony and PMac the point where they almost fell down, chopping down on Freeman and Sandfort during rebounds, and not being called. Literally nothing was being called on rebound action. They were also getting easy whistles on their drives. Same exact thing happened in the PSU game 2nd half. The whistle just completely tilted to where we were scared of even breathing on them in the paint. And they ended up with like +20 free throws or some ridiculous tilt. I think the poverty refs are getting themselves a piece of this NIL action somehow, I really do.

Hay, the referee's were on a roll too, sometimes the spigot just can't turn off.
One thing I'm a little baffled about, Fran hasn't seemed too agitated lately on the play of his Hawks in blowing late leads. Dare I think that Iowa's new AD and told Fran to mellow out, just so out of character for him.
Maybe having the Iowa record for wins at Iowa has lessoned the fire in Fran, just a thought. Am I off base?

I noticed the same thing. Maryland was bumping the hell out of Tony and PMac the point where they almost fell down, chopping down on Freeman and Sandfort during rebounds, and not being called. Literally nothing was being called on rebound action. They were also getting easy whistles on their drives. Same exact thing happened in the PSU game 2nd half. The whistle just completely tilted to where we were scared of even breathing on them in the paint. And they ended up with like +20 free throws or some ridiculous tilt. I think the poverty refs are getting themselves a piece of this NIL action somehow, I really do.
Just remember that we have a head coach with a history of being beloved by referees because of how nicely he treats them.

Officiating definitely changed in Maryland’s favor the last 12 minutes, and allowed Maryland to get into a much better offensive rhythm.

Maryland also played a lot smarter on offense down the stretch and limited turnovers.

Iowa made a lot of difficult shots in the first 28 minutes of the game, but went cold in the final 12. Maryland’s defense is very impressive. They play physical but do a great job of moving their feet and avoiding dumb fouls. They made Iowa earn everything last night, and I was generally impressed with Iowa’s offense for the first 28 minutes. The biggest issue I had offensively is we were too soft and impatient with some passes leading to really costly turnovers.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Hay, the referee's were on a roll too, sometimes the spigot just can't turn off.
One thing I'm a little baffled about, Fran hasn't seemed too agitated lately on the play of his Hawks in blowing late leads. Dare I think that Iowa's new AD and told Fran to mellow out, just so out of character for him.
Maybe having the Iowa record for wins at Iowa has lessoned the fire in Fran, just a thought. Am I off base?
A couple times I found myself hoping Fran would blow the lid, it got that bad.

Tony's T was ticky tack too.

• At 0:56, Maryland gets called for their 5th team foul. Iowa down 64-72. And the game is pretty much over.

So over the course of the final 12 minutes of the game the refs call 11 straight fouls on Iowa - giving Maryland 16 free throws to Iowas 0!

Yea I know the tired story: rebound, defense, hustle. But we were literally doing all of those things (and controlling the game) up until about the 13 minute mark of the game. Then what changed? This was a lost season and we dropped way too many winnable games - but in this particular game it objectively felt like the refs chopped us down at the legs.
Refs need to be held accountable or shit like this is going and is happening all the time.

I think Fran has checked out.

Anyone know what Fran said at the press meeting after the game about playing defense. Mumbled something about "you really want me to answer that" then said something about getting into trouble I think.

Last edited:
At around the 10 min Iowa got called for I think 4 fouls inside a min of game time.

Officiating wasn’t why Iowa lost - but that’s just ridiculous; and going roughly 12 min or so of a game without fouling is simply not physically possible.

I think you hit it. Beth has most likely told Fran to cool it down for sure. This is like the 4th or 5th game where he really hasnt gone after the refs. I know most of you will say good but I think Fran is a shell of himself now because the fire has been put out and that also reflects to the team!

I turned on the game late in the 2nd half and saw that the fouls were 16 to 5 at one point? I thought to myself how is that even possible in Division I basketball with the type of athletes on both teams? The one ref that called the late technical foul on Perkins and also chewed out Sandfort had something cooking against Iowa last night. I also found it amusing how Young went up to that same ref after the game was over to hand him the ball and they slightly embraced in a congratulatory fashion. It was really odd... maybe not though when you see the discrepancy in fouls called. Some of these refs are just absolute jokes.

Reactions: DewHawk
Mary Land seemed to be getting more freedom to make contact, but welcome to B1G officiating, where visiting teams have to win decisively to win at all.

Reactions: Hawks2405
At around the 10 min Iowa got called for I think 4 fouls inside a min of game time.

Officiating wasn’t why Iowa lost - but that’s just ridiculous; and going roughly 12 min or so of a game without fouling is simply not physically possible.
Especially with how physical Maryland was playing. It is not in the realm of possibility they didn't foul.

A couple times I found myself hoping Fran would blow the lid, it got that bad.

Tony's T was ticky tack too.
I agree the T appeared kind of lame, my guess is that Tony was talking a bit more during the game, he had been warned and this was the last straw type of thing. Of course I could be completely wrong.

Especially with how physical Maryland was playing. It is not in the realm of possibility they didn't foul.

Sometimes I think it is more 'the way they foul v the way we foul' type of thing. They seemed to foul within the context of their defense, with their body. We reach and grab out of position way to often.

Without question. And this happens all the time, sometimes (rarely it seems) in favor of Iowa. Not sure if it’s human nature or something less defendable, but the team that is behind, should they really “get after it” to try to mount a comeback, are afforded the ability to be “scrappier” and, you know, get away with shit.

While watching Iowa come back versus Minnesota, I felt Iowa got some breaks. Maybe the above is especially true if the team making the comeback is doing it on their home floor (even in an empty arena, like last night).

It drives me crazy because it renders nearly everything established up to that point null as far as how the players understand the game as it’s being called.

It also drives me crazy because it’s simply unfair to tilt the floor like that.

I like Fran. Don’t love him, but like him. But I do love this team. There’s such a good energy about them.

Just remember that we have a head coach with a history of being beloved by referees because of how nicely he treats them.
So they're allowed to be biased because of McCaffery's prior behavior? Shouldn't these highly paid officials fairly control the game? It always kills me when I hear about our opponents being physical defenders, when we are anything but, yet they shoot all the FT's. How does that work? If refs cannot keep their personal emotions from calling an equitable game, they ought not be allowed to work those games.

So they're allowed to be biased because of McCaffery's prior behavior?

That’s what some of these thick skulls can’t seem to grasp. This coach is a jerk or that coach has won a championship, so the rules are applied differently. Then they can’t figure out why Fran gets so upset.

It’s about as comical as ‘freedom of movement’ being a point of emphasis a few years back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT