ADVERTISEMENT

Best Band or Solo Performer whose name begins with an "R"?

I am an American rock n roll partisan who abhors most foreign rock n roll but the Stones are the exception.

They were steeped and schooled in the good American stuff right from the word go. I advocated Rip This Joint as the all time top RnR song and it drew very favorable response.

Just boring AF. But I’m sure they’re super nice guys, eh.

Neil Peart was easily among the Top 2 rock drummers of all time.

The other two are virtuosos in their own right.

A Rush concert was incredible because they are absolutely note-perfect. They were like machines.

Reactions: CarterHall
Neil Peart was easily among the Top 2 rock drummers of all time.

The other two are virtuosos in their own right.

A Rush concert was incredible because they are absolutely note-perfect. They were like machines.

Technically proficient doesn’t make them exciting to me. Everything they did was vanilla.

Who would you put above Pert? Bonham has to be top of the list.

I am an American rock n roll partisan who abhors most foreign rock n roll but the Stones are the exception.

They were steeped and schooled in the good American stuff right from the word go. I advocated Rip This Joint as the all time top RnR song and it drew very favorable response.
It's unfortunate that you feel that way about most foreign rock bands because there were a lot of great blues rock bands and artists in England in the 60s. In addition to the Stones you had The Yardbirds, John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers, Fleetwood Mac, Humble Pie, Eric Clapton, Faces, The Animals, and many more.

Ironically, it was primarily British bands who introduced white Americans to the great blues artists right here in our own country - artists like Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson and John Lee Hooker and Howlin' Wolf and Blind Willie Johnson.

Richie Hayward from Little Feat, And while many hate on the Dave Matthews Band, Carter Beauford is an amazing drummer IMO.
I don't know enough about drums to know how they rank in terms of technical proficiency, but in terms of just enjoying the way they play I'm a big fan of Kenny Aronoff and Steve Gorman.

Reactions: Scott559
I don't knew enough about drums to know how they rank in terms of technical proficiency, but in terms of just enjoying the way they play I'm a big fan of Kenny Aronoff and Steve Gorman.

Mellencamp joked about Kenny wanting to rock out during the shows and speeding up the tempo, Excellent drummer.

Reactions: TJ8869
It's unfortunate that you feel that way about most foreign rock bands because there were a lot of great blues rock bands and artists in England in the 60s. In addition to the Stones you had The Yardbirds, John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers, Fleetwood Mac, Humble Pie, Eric Clapton, Faces, The Animals, and many more.

Ironically, it was primarily British bands who introduced white Americans to the great blues artists right here in our own country - artists like Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson and John Lee Hooker and Howlin' Wolf and Blind Willie Johnson.
The groups you mention are very good, I just prefer 50s rock n roll best. It’s great that they helped raise appreciation of the American blues greats.

I’d like to see more appreciation of great original American artists and less worshiping of Beatles and Pink Floyd. Elton John gets knighted while most people never heard of Little Richard and think Jerry Lee Lewis ran a telethon. Complete honesty, this is my agenda.

The groups you mention are very good, I just prefer 50s rock n roll best. It’s great that they helped raise appreciation of the American blues greats.

I’d like to see more appreciation of great original American artists and less worshiping of Beatles and Pink Floyd. Elton John gets knighted while most people never heard of Little Richard and think Jerry Lee Lewis ran a telethon. Complete honesty, this is my agenda.

Who the hell has never heard of Little Richard?

JLL could have been as big as he wanted to be, but he submarined his own career when he married his 13-year-old cousin.

Reactions: The Tradition
People who think Jerry Lee is Jerry Lewis.

My favorite American artists have been relegated to the ‘oldies’ circuit since the 1960s beginning with the famous ‘Garden Party’ 1969.

They’ve been treated like novelty acts for 50 years while Brit invasion and later bands have never been considered oldies.

This is why I champion pre Beatles American acts in addition to the fact that they please my ears the most.

JLL could have been as big as he wanted to be, but he submarined his own career when he married his 13-year-old cousin.
Brits were uptight, they threw a fit. JLL, single most talented American musician of all time. Master of all top American music styles. Blues HOFer, RnR, country, Boogie Woogie, stride etc.

The only real answer is in the OP.

In the battle for number two, I would go with the great Bonnie Raitt. Best that most don’t know is Railroad Earth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT