ADVERTISEMENT

Best Baseball Player you ever saw live in person.

I saw Verlander's first no hitter live. I've never seen a guy hit 102 after throwing 107 pitches. That's also when he had crazy break on his curveball, before he developed the slider.

So that guy.

Probably Bonds when he was still with the Pirates.

When Roger Clemens went to Toronto I missed his return to Fenway Park by one day. I almost changed my flight plans so I could see it.

When the Reds were building Great American Ballpark they had to cut out part of the left field seats of Cinergy Field to make room. I watched Sammy Sosa hit a home run from the original stadium that landed in the still-under-construction new stadium.

Puckett, I live two hours away from the twin cities. The Twins would have an annual caravan, for media relations in the offseason. The Twins coaches would come to Mason City and put on a baseball clinic for the little leaguers, in the early 90's.

Reactions: Tunadog
Saw Griffey and A-Rod go back to back circa 1997. Pretty cool looking back and knowing they both have over 600 hrs. Also saw Sosa hit one so I've seen 3 of the 9 who are in the 600 home run club (of course 2 of them were due to being roided out)

Barry Bonds

Greg Maddux

Considering Bonds is probably the best hitter ever, that's an easy choice. Maddux I saw in his prime, but I also saw Pedro Marinez way before his prime, so that one's a bit tougher. I still think Pedro, at his best, was the best pitcher ever.

Binds was easily the best hitter i ever saw in person... but Miguel Tejada was one of the best SS i have had the oleasure of watching.

Reactions: artradley
I have seen Nolan Ryan, Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale,
Warren Spahn, Whitey Ford, Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter,
All are Hall of Famers.

I have seen Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra. Hank Aaron
Eddie Matthews, Duke Snider, Frank Robinson, Brooks
Robinson, Willie Mays, Cal Ripken, Harmon Killebrew.
All are Hall of Famers.

Last edited:
First major league game I went to was a double header at Wrigley vs. the Pirates. I think Clemente went 8 - 10 in the two games and lined out the 2 times he never reached base. Stargell hit one over right field that may still be going....

Saw play or saw in person? I met Bob Feller and Hank Aaron, both well past their playing days. Live, I’d say Kerry Wood in his prime, Kirby Puckett maybe.

Chipper Jones

I’ll raise the bar a little though.

I got into a small fight with Brett Meyers at the Cheetah in Atlanta back in 2008 when the Phillies won the World Series.

Saw the Braves vs Phillies that night. Anyone who has been to a game in Atlanta knows that an airplane with a banner behind it comes flying around the stadium in the 7th inning promoting the Cheetah (strip club here in Atl).

My buddy and I get to talking about how it would be a great idea to go, only made sense. The guy next to us, who we had met earlier in the game said his girlfriend was a stripper there. So he eventually gets us in this back private area to hang out. Brett and a few other players come in. We have a few beers with them and everything is going well, they were nice for the most part.

A stripper comes up and is hanging all over me. Brett leans over and says in my ear that he jizzed on her face the night before, I told him that it didn’t bother me one bit. She kept flirting with me and doing what strippers do, he eventually snapped and came up to me and grabbed my hat (Braves) and threw it on the floor. I immediately shoved him in the face and kept pushing his head back until he fell over a barstool and on the ground, he got up came after me and his buddies held him back...thank god!

Of course we got kicked out, place was about to close anyways. Went to the guys house who was dating the stripper. She came back with some stripper friends and we all continued to get smashed until the sun came up.

It was a rememberable night to say the least.

Good times

Last edited:
Saw play or saw in person? I met Bob Feller and Hank Aaron, both well past their playing days. Live, I’d say Kerry Wood in his prime, Kirby Puckett maybe.

If it is the former, I used to frequently see Ted Williams in a local seafood restaurant, in a small town near where he lived in his later years.

Reactions: IACub
Trout when he was on the Kernels.

Same. I was in Cedar Rapids for an internship and we all went to the game one night. I'd never seen a baseball player's talent stand out amongst the other players like I did with Trout that day. He was amazing. Had no idea who he was beforehand.

Henderson, Mattingly, and Boggs all in a double header at Yankee Stadium in '89 I believe. A guy sitting in front of us with red socks on his arms (giving very few, if any, f*cks) got arrested for smoking the big fat doobage during the game.../csb.

I saw several great ones, but one in player in particular struck me: Al Kaline. There was something about the way he carried himself and (even though I saw him later in his career) played the game that really stood out to me.

I have a foul ball from Ken Griffey. Has a black mark from his bat. Next pitch, he hit a 400+ foot HR.

I only got to 3 games during Bonds' big year, but saw him hit 7 HR's. I was at a Randy Johnson's 20 strike out game.

Growing up in West Palm Beach, we had both the Braves and Expos there for Spring Training. Saw Henry Aaron, Gary Carter, Andre Carter, Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, the rest of the Big Red Machine, Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, Dale Murphy.

Really too many to name though Aaron tops the list.

Reactions: billanole
when I was a kid in the 70's we went and saw the cincy reds at Wrigley. whole team of cincy is what i'm gonna say

I haven't seen Mike Trout yet he's on my bucket list.

But by position player
I would put Barry Bonds but the juiced factor.
Ken Griffey Jr.

Pitcher

Randy Johnson just absolutely crazy to see live behind home plate.

Hank Aaron, Phil Niekro, Orlando Cepeda, and Rico Carty for the Braves vs Big Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, Curt Flood, and Joe Torre for the Cards as a kid in Atlanta in 1969. The Cards were coming off of a NL title while the Braves went on to win their division that year.
It was an electric game that ended with a warning track catch of a long shot by Carty with the bases loaded that would have won it.
Bob Gibson was all in with the heat.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Yaz (at the end of his career)
Jim Rice
Dwight Evans
Clemens
Boggs
Rickey Henderson
Bo Jackson
Vaughn
Nomar
Schmidt
Brett
Nolan
Griffey Jr
Cecil Fielder
Pedro
Papi
Manny

Pretty much all of the best from the mid-80's to early 90's, then from 2006 to present day AL players.

I grew up going to 20 Phillies games a year, watching Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton. So, I saw Tom Seaver pitch, Ozzie Smith make a great play in the field and Tony Gwynn hit, as well. I also attended the 83 World Series game against the Orioles so I got to see Eddie Murray play. Don't remember if Ripken was playing by then, yet.

But as I've said on here before...my only visit to Yankees Stadium I was in the 3rd base box seats in the fourth row to watch Dwight Gooden's No Hitter over the Seattle Mariners.

In that game was some of the best baseball players ever.
Ken Griffey Jr.
A Rod
Jeter
Wade Boggs
Gooden

Never put it all together but a pretty good list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT