ADVERTISEMENT

Best Comeback Win

Kwoodhawk

HR Heisman
Feb 11, 2009
So who you got for best comeback win all time....... for Iowa of course.

Jaybo at NCAA?

Gilman against backpack?

or ?

Lincoln McIlravy's freshman NCAA final.

One of the best NCAA Final's matches I've ever watched. Hawks fans in Hilton Coliseum went absolutely crazy when Lincoln scored the last TD to win.
Next match was also crazy with Terry Steiner scoring a TD on Troy Sunderland
as time ran out. Probably the most exciting back to back final's matches I've seen.

Nobody is going to remember this, but Lou Banach freshman win over ISU's John Forshee at 190. Forshee rode Lou for well over 4 minutes and Lou wore him out from the bottom and pinned him. I got the tape at home: Lou got to his feet over 20 times (actual number) and Forshee wore himself out returning Banach to the mat.

Nobody is going to remember this, but Lou Banach freshman win over ISU's John Forshee at 190. Forshee rode Lou for well over 4 minutes and Lou wore him out from the bottom and pinned him. I got the tape at home: Lou got to his feet over 20 times (actual number) and Forshee wore himself out returning Banach to the mat.
Awesome

jaybo,linc, zadick. the gilman match doesn't count he should never have been in the position to begin with.

Mike Zadick vs. Jared Frayer at the National Duals in Columbus.

I watched it live from the corner of the arena.
Mr. Zadick was pacing from one tunnel to the next on both sides of us.

We had just come in and sat down. We had a camcorder in hand and were too drawn-in to even turn it on.

One of the best NCAA Final's matches I've ever watched. Hawks fans in Hilton Coliseum went absolutely crazy when Lincoln scored the last TD to win.
Next match was also crazy with Terry Steiner scoring a TD on Troy Sunderland
as time ran out. Probably the most exciting back to back final's matches I've seen.

After watching these matches back-to-back, I thought I was going too have a heart attack.

A side note: we had nosebleed seats among a group of fans from North Dakota and Lil Steiner was occasionally down the row from us.

Mike Zadick vs. Jared Frayer at the National Duals in Columbus.

I watched it live from the corner of the arena.
Mr. Zadick was pacing from one tunnel to the next on both sides of us.

We had just come in and sat down. We had a camcorder in hand and were too drawn-in to even turn it on.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see the answer in your post. Don’t remember that arena.

Last edited:
those were great videos to re-live. thanks guys for finding and posting them.

I saw every match mentioned in this thread live except Gilman/Lizak, and I watched it in real time on TV. They were all great matches, and in 33 NCAA tournaments, the McIravy/Abas - Steiner/Sunderland matches were definitely the best back-to-back finals I've ever witnessed.

So who you got for best comeback win all time....... for Iowa of course.

Jaybo at NCAA?

Gilman against backpack?

or ?
This is a great thread, Kwood! Most of these matches occurred while I was on active duty and nowhere near the locations they took place, or even in the same country much of the time. That said, I'm always looking for outstanding Iowa matches to go back and watch, and you initiating this thread helped introduce me to some great ones. Thank you!

Reactions: Grip220
Lincoln Mac.
18 year old kid down by a lot and wears the dude out for a title.

the Gilbert won is there. Gilman top 5 but LM bearing a guy on his feet was awesome.

Lincoln’s freshman win is number one in my book. Simpson pinning Voelker was unfathomable in the moment. We were going to lose the first dual in CHA and we were going to lose to ISU. Simpson’s win probability had to have been near zero (maybe 0.00127%).

Seems like there was a significant comeback win in the Fieldhouse early in Gable’s career. I am drawing a blank now. Will have to comb through the memory banks. Old man disease.

Being young Gilman vs Lizak is the only one I remember watching live but I there is video on youtube of Marion vs Kennedy at NCAAs and that is definitely a match worth mentioning. It's nice to see these lists and be able to go back and watch the older matches that I never got to see though so thank you guys for all the posts.

Reactions: 750075 and Grip220
The only thing better than the stunned/shocked faces of the Minny fans is Lizak’s expression while shaking Gilman’s hand.
I hadn’t watched the video since seeing it live, and I have to politely disagree with you. There is NOTHING better than watching the fans, and the Minnesota bench, in that video. If that match had an REM soundtrack, it would have went from “Shiny, Happy People” to “Everybody Hurts” real quick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT