ADVERTISEMENT

Beth Goetz and Iowa Men's Athletics

HawkCharlotte

HR MVP
Jul 17, 2005
Can you recall a time when virtually all of the Iowa men's sports teams were this mediocre?

Football? Bad

Basketball? Bad

Wrestling? Disappointing on the way to Bad

(Baseball is ok for now, but pre-season high hopes based on last year to now a disappointing start)

What is the common denominator? LONG tenured coaches with almost NO worry about whether their job is secure or not.

With Beth showing she's willing to remove coaches who don't get the job done, I hope she begins to fix the Men's sports at Iowa by making some changes with other coaches who are performing!

The landscape of college athletics has changes so much with this new NIL and graduate transfer bullshit that its going to take a hell of a lot more than new coaches. I'm not at all saying that some changes need to be made, but we need some major corporate sponsors or the owners of those corps to step up if we have any chance of competing going forward. It's all about the almighty dollar more than anything now.

Can you recall a time when virtually all of the Iowa men's sports teams were this mediocre?

Football? Bad

Basketball? Bad

(Baseball is ok for now, but pre-season high hopes based on last year to now a disappointing start)

What is the common denominator? LONG tenured coaches with almost NO worry about whether their job is secure or not.

With Beth showing she's willing to remove coaches who don't get the job done, I hope she begins to fix the Men's sports at Iowa by making some changes with other coaches who are performing!
Football bad? If I recall correctly, they’ve been to the B1G championship 2 of the last 3 years. Calling that team bad is intellectually dishonest. They’re good, but far from great or elite. It’s a very good college football program given the current landscape of NCAA football.

Wrestling has higher expectations, as it should. Also a program far from mediocre though. It is a top 5 program in the country, and will continue to be. However, the expectation for wrestling is to be the top program, or at least in competition for the top spot every year.

Football bad? If I recall correctly, they’ve been to the B1G championship 2 of the last 3 years. Calling that team bad is intellectually dishonest. They’re good, but far from great or elite. It’s a very good college football program given the landscape of NCAA football.

Seriously Parker? Come on, who's being dishonest here?

Barely winning the worst division in all of D1 football and then getting their asses kicked is bad.

And this is the pattern for several years now.

Barely winning the worst division in all of D1 football and then getting their asses kicked is bad.

Your definition of bad clearly differs from mine. They’re a good college football program that doesn’t have the same type of resources that other programs have, from the standpoint of donor base and recruiting ground. Even if your expectations are for them to take the next step and compete for national championships (by the way I think they’re not far off from making the expanded playoffs), that still doesn’t make them bad. I’ll admit that the offense has been downright terrible, but would hope that the steps being taken will improve that to simply below average.

It’s a second tier college football program, which in my book makes them good. But if you group college football programs by elite, and then everyone else, I guess you would call it a bad program.

this is some bizarre perspective. basketball has been consistently in the tournament hunt and football in the big ten championship two out of the last three years. wrestling has been tough given the high standards and being in the middle of a historic psu run but we have been a consistent trophy team and have one (should be 2 due to Covid cancellation) team championships.

when i was at Iowa the football team sucked and we were in the zalesky years so year i definitely remember a time where things were worse. step back from the ledge

Football bad? If I recall correctly, they’ve been to the B1G championship 2 of the last 3 years. Calling that team bad is intellectually dishonest. They’re good, but far from great or elite. It’s a very good college football program given the current landscape of NCAA football.

Wrestling has higher expectations, as it should. Also a program far from mediocre though. It is a top 5 program in the country, and will continue to be. However, the expectation for wrestling is to be the top program, or at least in competition for the top spot every year.
You’re clearly not a football fan; we’ve had one of the worst offenses in the NCAA the past 3 years and hardcore nepotism, which makes it difficult to fire the offensive coordinator. And we got BLOWN OUT in those championship games you mentioned, with the only reason we’re there being that all of the teams in our division suck. So to answer your question, yes, football bad!

Reactions: ikS and Twoooooooo
You’re clearly not a football fan; we’ve had one of the worst offenses in the NCAA the past 3 years and hardcore nepotism, which makes it difficult to fire the offensive coordinator. And we got BLOWN OUT in those championship games you mentioned, with the only reason we’re there being that all of the teams in our division suck. So to answer your question, yes, football bad!
Ok

this is some bizarre perspective. basketball has been consistently in the tournament hunt and football in the big ten championship two out of the last three years. wrestling has been tough given the high standards and being in the middle of a historic psu run but we have been a consistent trophy team and have one (should be 2 due to Covid cancellation) team championships.

when i was at Iowa the football team sucked and we were in the zalesky years so year i definitely remember a time where things were worse. step back from the ledge
But that doesn’t fit the narrative. Must skew everything to the negative and always use absolutes!!
It’s never going to get any better and all sports will always suck with all of the coaches.
Isn’t that right Charlotte….. jackwagon

We have a very good football program. Here's the current list of top schools for placing players in the NFL

Alabama 57 SEC
Georgia 49 SEC
Ohio State 48 Big Ten
LSU 43 SEC
Michigan 38 Big Ten
Clemson 37 ACC
Florida 35 SEC
Penn State 34 Big Ten
Notre Dame 34 Independent
Oklahoma 32 Big 12
Texas 30 Big 12
Iowa 29 Big Ten
USC 27 Pac-12
Washington 27 Pac-12
Auburn 26 SEC
Oregon 25 Pac-12

Reactions: lookleft goright

What is the common denominator? $$$$, and Iowa is flush with it.

Football- Sure the offense is bad, but as a whole the program is stable and D and ST are elite. That said, I don't believe KF and staff will utilize the portal to improve the offense. They are in a good position, and rightly or wrongly, KF stated goal is to "win games". That's it.

BBall- Mediocre is the word I would use, neither good nor bad. They aren't at a tipping point to be good or bad, they are what they are; a winning program with minimal tourney success.

Wrestling- It's a good program, and likely would have finished 2nd this year at NCAA's had they not been screwed by the NCAA. Many will disagree with me, but TnT have, or are, utilized/ing the portal to try and improve the team to compete with PSU. Some of crazy folks probably thought they had a chance to win prior to the suspensions. Also, there are some studs in the room, and maybe more coming. Also, they generate revenue.

Baseball- This year they will not meet the lofty expectations, so I will wait to see what happens next year after they lose their 3 stud pitchers (or 2 of the 3, not sure if Obi is eligible for the draft). Heller does a great job here.

As to long tenured coaches, you are correct and probably not wrong about job security. But then, they are winning, the stadiums are full (bball says hi!), and the programs are clean, including wrestling.

We have a very good football program. Here's the current list of top schools for placing players in the NFL

Alabama 57 SEC
Georgia 49 SEC
Ohio State 48 Big Ten
LSU 43 SEC
Michigan 38 Big Ten
Clemson 37 ACC
Florida 35 SEC
Penn State 34 Big Ten
Notre Dame 34 Independent
Oklahoma 32 Big 12
Texas 30 Big 12
Iowa 29 Big Ten
USC 27 Pac-12
Washington 27 Pac-12
Auburn 26 SEC
Oregon 25 Pac-12
Is that KF's stated goal, or the goal of a program, to place players in the NFL?

Reactions: CerroGordoHawk
But that doesn’t fit the narrative. Must skew everything to the negative and always use absolutes!!
It’s never going to get any better and all sports will always suck with all of the coaches.
Isn’t that right Charlotte….. jackwagon

for real. i wish we all woke up in the morning and pissed excellence but unfortunately that’s not reality. losses are going to happen but that doesn’t mean it’s all doom and gloom.

not saying i am happy with every aspect of all the programs. football’s offense has been stuck in the mud for a few years and there are some minor flaws that have been exposed in the wrestling program’s style but we still have it pretty damn good at iowa so people need to enjoy the ride a little bit.

Football? Bad

Basketball? Bad

Are you kidding me? The 1970s were real, not a nightmare.

And as of right now, basketball and football are in better shape than wrestling IMO. I don’t think any are mediocre, definitely better than average if you’re being objective about it.

We can just say: Football, Brian Ferentz.
And that covers the past three years. 🤦‍♂️

Ferentz goal is to win games. Plain and simple.
Absolutely not. If that was his goal Brian Ferentz would not have been offensive coordinator through at the very least the middle of 2022. No coordinator with any last name but Ferentz would have survived past the Illinois game that year in any program.

Here's my analogy. Some want to burn the house down when the paint is looking bad, some want to ignore remodeling until water is pouring through the roof. Rarely is either the best choice. Right now, our house ain't made of straw or brick. It's made of decent sticks with sub-par chinking. We need a few stronger sticks and more annual attention to ensure we have the freshest and best mud chinking. You know, like beavers do every fall. Time for TnT to figure out how to better identify the best sticks, and consider hiring some better chinkers. Alright, back to beaver trapping now.

Reactions: blcoach80
Are you kidding me? The 1970s were real, not a nightmare.

And as of right now, basketball and football are in better shape than wrestling IMO. I don’t think any are mediocre, definitely better than average if you’re being objective about it.

I don't want to keep us this tit for tat forever, but I will state where I think the disagreemet lies ...

First, definition:

mediocre: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance : ORDINARY, SO-SO

Basketball is mediocre because Iowa hasn't won a regular season championship since 79

has never been to the Six 16 under Fran

the last Sweet 16 was 1988

and in his 14th year, Fran has ""progressed to making the NIT

Football is mediocre because it's been 19 years since a Big Ten title ... getting regularly beat pretty bad by good teams in bowl games since 2010. Outside the Hawk world, Iowa is ... ok .. so so.. in a word ... medicore. nothing to write home about.

Of all of these, the USC game counts a good win

2011Kirk FerentzInsight BowlOklahomaL 14–31
2013Kirk FerentzOutback BowlLSUL 14–21
2014Kirk FerentzTaxSlayer BowlTennesseeL 28–45
2015Kirk FerentzRose BowlStanfordL 16–45
2016Kirk FerentzOutback BowlFloridaL 3–30
2017Kirk FerentzPinstripe BowlBoston CollegeW 27–20
2018Kirk FerentzOutback BowlMississippi StateW 27–22
2019Kirk FerentzHoliday BowlUSCW 49–24
2021Kirk FerentzCitrus BowlKentuckyL 17–20
2022Kirk FerentzMusic City BowlKentuckyW 21–0
2023Kirk FerentzCitrus BowlTennesseeL 0–35

I am referring to ALL programs at the same time

Wrestling- It's a good program, and likely would have finished 2nd this year at NCAA's had they not been screwed by the NCAA.

and the programs are clean, including wrestling.
They were “screwed” by no one; you sound a Michigan football fan with this take. And I’m not sure “clean” is the right word to use when multiple guys got suspended for the season.

Reactions: ikS
I don't want to keep us this tit for tat forever, but I will state where I think the disagreemet lies ...

First, definition:

mediocre: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance : ORDINARY, SO-SO

Basketball is mediocre because Iowa hasn't won a regular season championship since 79

Football is mediocre because it's been 19 years since a Big Ten title ... getting regularly beat pretty bad by good teams in bowl games since 2010. Outside the Hawk world, Iowa is ... ok .. so so.. in a word ... medicore. nothing to write home about.

Suffice it to say, your measuring stick of relative success is very different than most fans.

First, definition:

I guess we are moving the goalposts a bit, and I’m glad to agree to disagree. However, I wouldn’t even agree that the football team is mediocre, or middle of the pack. They’re somewhere between the top 15 that go into the season with national title aspirations, and the middle 40 programs that are looking to win 7 games. Iowa football has pretty consistently been a top 25-30 team for about 2 decades. I would consider that solidly good, which is I think reasonable expectations for the program. Competing for Big Ten championships and being in the hunt every year is pretty good by my standards. I would love to cash one in, but there are just teams in different stratospheres in football and it’ll take lightning in a bottle to do so.

I’m done now, you can continue to go on about the horrible state of our men’s athletics, and how the programs have all performed poorly. I hope Beth can help make them even better, but I don’t think we have a “bad” football team or “mediocre” wrestling program. I’d classify them as good and great, with room to improve.

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
In an alternate timeline where there were no gambling suspensions, Iowa has an AA at 285, likely another at 174, and at least some points at 184, and is in a comfortable 2nd place finish (but still very distant from PSU). How does the narrative on this board differ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT