ADVERTISEMENT

Biden has nominated Dr. Rachel Levine, a transgendered American, to be Asst. Secretary of Health

Crap, if I get ticked at them, I won't know whether to call them a bitch or a bastard?!

Lots of pearls being clutched.

This is one of those things, though, that everybody should pretty much agree on.

1) A person can live however they like; as whatever gender they like. It's neither here nor there where the content of their character is concerned.
2) Either the person was qualified or not. We can discuss their qualifications.

This is one of those things, though, that everybody should pretty much agree on.

1) A person can live however they like; as whatever gender they like. It's neither here nor there where the content of their character is concerned.
2) Either the person was qualified or not. We can discuss their qualifications.

But thats not how a large majority of GOPers will evaluate the nominee.

But thats not how a large majority of GOPers will evaluate the nominee.

I think you'll have the evangelical GOPers that find them sinful or whatever. (which apparently means nothing any more anyway)

And then, and this is probably where most of the GOP attention will go... the argument that this pick was made merely on the grounds of an affirmative action like inclusion agenda. (it was a political pick)

If this offends you, well, F your feelings. I am sorry that you want it to be the 1950s again.
She is highly qualified, has a history in public health, and will reach out to all Americans.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/19/biden-rachel-levine-health-secretary-460278
Another problem with today, you offer this up not as a "here you go", "congrats to whomever", but "F you to all, don't even question it"

And by the way, there is nothing 1950's about mental illness

Reactions: IMCC965
Another problem with today, you offer this up not as a "here you go", "congrats to whomever", but "F you to all, don't even question it"

And by the way, there is nothing 1950's about mental illness

Dems have the WH and both chambers of Congress.

They dont need 1 Republican to get members of the Cabinet confirmed and pass a lot of other legislation.

He seems qualified.

But he is still a he.

I don't oppose him being nominated and confirmed to this position.

You have two things going on at the same time. Biological sex (he) and gender identity (she)

Referring to the person as a (she) doesn't mean failing to realize their biological sex. They can coexist.

I’m old enough to remember when every time a gay person was mentioned some jag-off pontificated about how it was unnatural according to nature and science. Hopefully, sometime soon, we also get past that when discussing a trans person in any context.

You have two things going on at the same time. Biological sex (he) and gender identity (she)

Referring to the person as a (she) doesn't mean failing to realize their biological sex. They can coexist.

Gender and biological sex ment the same things until some people decided that it was cool for people to run around claiming to be something they arn't.

I don't personally believe that there is a difference. There is what a person is and what a person pretends to be.

I label people based on what they are. It's his right to pretend he's a woman, that's sort of what freedom is about. But that isn't what he is.

He's just a man who likely got his penis and testicles cut off injects himself full of hormones and let his hair grow long and curled it, put some make up on and wears women's clothes.

But this ladies and gentlemen is still a man.

Dr._Levine_State_Portrait.jpg

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
Gender and biological sex ment the same things until some people decided that it was cool for people to run around claiming to be something they arn't.

I don't personally believe that there is a difference. There is what a person is and what a person pretends to be.

I label people based on what they are.

I don't think a lot of people ever spent any amount of time considering the differences between gender and sex.

They exist as different considerations -- go look them up in the dictionary. There's no believing to it.

Gender-identity as a phrase basically then sprung forth to give meaningful description to what people were doing -- identifying as a gender that wasn't congruent with what you usually find associated with their sex.

If you decide you want to refer to people based upon their sex, and not their gender identity, then fine.

You're left with a question of how to communicate with people. What's courteous, what's nice, what isn't. All that fun stuff.

Reactions: torbee
I don't think a lot of people ever spent any amount of time considering the differences between gender and sex.

They exist as different considerations -- go look them up in the dictionary. There's no believing to it.

Gender-identity as a phrase basically then sprung forth to give meaning description to what people were doing -- identifying of a gender that wasn't congruent with what you usually find associated with their sex.

If you decide you want to refer to people based upon their sex, and not their gender identity, then fine.

You're left with a question of how to communicate with people. What's courteous, what's nice, what isn't. All that fun stuff.

Can you find me a dictionary from pre-1980 that refers to Gender and Sex as two distinctly different things?

The difference is a new one and it was made up specifically for this.

Didn't say it didn't happen,.. I indicated that no reasonable person on the right behaved this way,.. Yes there are assholes out there,.. Don't join them.

I know plenty of people that would have been considered reasonable prior to January of 2017 when Trump became President.

Local party leaders, local politicians turned full blown MAGAts.

Wood knot

Living near Philly, we saw her a lot in the early days of COVID press conferences. I told my wife, “That lady with the state looks like a man in drag!” After a couple weeks an article parenthetically mentioned she was a transitioned male and it made more sense.

Reactions: torbee
Can you find me a dictionary from pre-1980 that refers to Gender and Sex as two distinctly different things?

The difference is a new one and it was made up specifically for this.

I'll give you the argument that lots of people probably used them interchangeably. I don't know about the dictionary definition, but I'm doubting they referred to the same thing.

But so what? You're going to refer to someone based upon a favored dictionary definition? That's a useless technical argument.

Functionally, whatever their past, sex and gender point to conceptually different "stuff." Call them what you wish.

You have sex, as physical stuff. And gender as all kinds of behaviors, norms, customs that are *usually* associated strongly with sex. (and influenced by sex... but there are culture inputs and other considerations as well... point being, there is a clear difference)

But what it really comes down to is this; how do you treat the person sitting across from you? If they're obviously comporting themselves as a recognizable gender and wish to be referred to as that gender, then why not refer to them that way? Since it isn't a matter of any moral meaningfulness, why not be polite?

Reactions: PoopandBoogers

I label people based on what they are. It's his right to pretend he's a woman, that's sort of what freedom is about. But that isn't what he is.

He's just a man who likely got his penis and testicles cut off injects himself full of hormones and let his hair grow long and curled it, put some make up on and wears women's clothes.

But this ladies and gentlemen is still a man.

Dr._Levine_State_Portrait.jpg
Gender is a human construct. It means whatever we decide it means. There have been "other" genders throughout human history. Just because that makes you uncomfortable doesn't make it any less true.

• Haha
Reactions: LaTavianGreenshaw24
Gender is a human construct. It means whatever we decide it means. There have been "other" genders throughout human history. Just because that makes you uncomfortable doesn't make it any less true.

Other genders throughout human history. . . I would like to see evidence of this. . . people OF THE MAINSTREAM referring to it as a gender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT