ADVERTISEMENT

Biden Sells Out On Climate Change

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Interior Department to resume oil and gas leasing, charge higher fees

The department will put roughly 144,000 acres up for lease and raise the fees companies pay to drill.

According to the latest report from the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, issued last week, the world is on pace to burn through its remaining “carbon budget” by 2030....

As pressure increases on the Biden administration to lower the price of fuel, the Interior Department announced on Friday plans to hold its first onshore oil and gas lease sales since President Biden took office.

The department said it plans to open roughly 144,000 acres up for lease next week and will charge oil and gas companies higher royalties to drill on federal land, raising the fees for the first time.

more here

Reactions: Moral

The department will put roughly 144,000 acres up for lease and raise the fees companies pay to drill.

According to the latest report from the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, issued last week, the world is on pace to burn through its remaining “carbon budget” by 2030....

As pressure increases on the Biden administration to lower the price of fuel, the Interior Department announced on Friday plans to hold its first onshore oil and gas lease sales since President Biden took office.

The department said it plans to open roughly 144,000 acres up for lease next week and will charge oil and gas companies higher royalties to drill on federal land, raising the fees for the first time.

more here

Wait, we were told that Biden was NOT shutting down oil exploration, and now all the sudden we get a news story were they are going to now allow it. That means they were blocking these new leases.

more here

Temporary as we fund the switch to EVs

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Wait, we were told that Biden was NOT shutting down oil exploration, and now all the sudden we get a news story were they are going to now allow it. That means they were blocking these new leases.

All of a sudden.

Absolutely hilarious. Does Biden not read HROT with all of the top professionals in the (everything) industry? Biden doing this goes against everything this board has discussed since Biden was sworn in.

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I wish democrats would stick to their guns and be more like republicans when it comes to getting the stuff through that they claim they want. . Newsflash democrats, they will find some new reason to not like or vote for you.
Yes, intelligence.

Nice try with the the complaint angle but they are still dragging their feet and slow rollng these, with the number being small compared to previous traditional offerings.

Nice try with the the complaint angle but they are still dragging their feet and slow rollng these, with the number being small compared to previous traditional offerings.
As I understand it, Big Oil has leases going unused. Just one more reason to ask what's the point of this?

As I understand it, Big Oil has leases going unused. Just one more reason to ask what's the point of this?
Leases on areas unlikely to produce, or that need a
lot of effort/expense to determine if those will produce, yes. That is mostly another half-baked distraction being put out there. The Biden Administration has announced its anti fossil fuel agenda and is doing its best to carry it out while pretending it is trying to do something to alleviate the costs of those efforts that are imposed on the poor and working class.j

To appease the right
Doubtful. High gas prices fuel inflation, pun intended. Reducing oil prices will help. I give credit to Biden here, but more needs to be done. 8% inflation is not acceptable.

Leases on areas unlikely to produce, or that need a
lot of effort/expense to determine if those will produce, yes. That is mostly another half-baked distraction being put out there. The Biden Administration has announced its anti fossil fuel agenda and is doing its best to carry it out while pretending it is trying to do something to alleviate the costs of those efforts that are imposed on the poor and working class.j
To what end?

Are people like you going to vote for him?

Leasing new areas leads to more "assets" on the books for Big Oil.* Nice for them.

Nice that the royalties go up, but if they don't drill or frack, do we get any money?

*Pulitzer winner Steve Coll has a good description of how this works in this book

This is an action that had to be taken.

I do agree that more environmental actions need to be taken, but I also recognize Biden relies on the Senate for those visions to be realized. I view the Senate as most accountable for what hasn't occurred yet in Biden's presidency yet.

Am I to understand correctly that these oil companies willingly pay out money for leases they never intend to use?
They log the assets and can borrow against them. More assets also elevate stock values, other things being equal. Even if they make nothing directly from extracting the resources, they may still make out like bandits.

Exxon, et al, are really good at these games, and owning elected representatives is one of the ways they make a killing - regardless of the national interest or the fate of the world.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Yes, on worthless ground.
Get a clue.....dumb fvck
Is this "worthless ground" the new talking point on the right?

That's nonsense, of course, because Exxon won't keep paying to keep worthless assets on the books. What they will do (if the numbers work out for them) is keep verified deposits on the books when they aren't currently interested in drilling or fracking (whatever the reason). Because, as already noted they can inflate stock values and can be borrowed against.

• Haha
Is this "worthless ground" the new talking point on the right?

That's nonsense, of course, because Exxon won't keep paying to keep worthless assets on the books. What they will do (if the numbers work out for them) is keep verified deposits on the books when they aren't currently interested in drilling or fracking (whatever the reason). Because, as already noted they can inflate stock values and can be borrowed against.

Wouldn't they also receive tax cuts because of them also?

Last edited:
To what end?

To address the lawsuits filed against his admin for slamming the brakes on drilling and exploration. These are pretty much meaningless overall, designed only to make it hard to supply fossil fuels to the market. You can rest easy, the Biden administration is doing its best to keep oil and gas prices high.

From one of those suing:

While we’re glad to see BLM is finally going to announce a sale, the extreme reduction of acreage by 80%, after a year and a quarter without a single sale, is unwarranted and does nothing to show that the administration takes high energy prices seriously,” Western Energy Alliance President Kathleen Sgamma said.

Raising the royalty rate 50 percent increases the costs of production on federal lands, which already carry a higher cost than nonfederal lands,” Sgamma said. “This increased tax will have the effect of any other tax increase – you get less of what’s taxed, in this case, federal oil and natural gas. At a time when the administration should be increasing production, it continues to introduce new policies that further depress American production and keep gasoline prices high.”

Another voice:

Power The Future Communications Director Larry Behrens said the announcement was a political ploy to “escape blame for soaring gas prices. When these policy peanuts offered by Washington don’t turn around massive gas prices or 40-year high inflation, the President will again try to blame energy workers for not producing enough. You don’t reclaim American energy independence by giving only 20 percent and America’s struggling families will continue to pay the price for Biden’s latest political stunt."

When these policy peanuts offered by Washington don’t turn around massive gas prices or 40-year high inflation, the President will again try to blame energy workers for not producing enough.
This is such transparant bullshit that you should be embarrassed to post it. "Blame energy workers"? Give me a break.

This is such transparant bullshit that you should be embarrassed to post it. "Blame energy workers"? Give me a break.
*transparent

Instead of taking steps to boost U.S. oil and gas production amid skyrocketing prices and the war in Ukraine, President Biden is standing by his green-energy goals and blaming fossil-fuel companies for the consequences. This will make today’s energy problems even worse.

Though he campaigned on a promise to ban drilling on federal lands and waters, Mr. Biden’s administration now says oil companies aren’t drilling enough. Instead of “doing their part,” the president claims, too many U.S. fossil-fuel companies are “choosing to make extraordinary profits and without making additional investment with supply.”

Last edited:
Instead of taking steps to boost U.S. oil and gas production amid skyrocketing prices and the war in Ukraine, President Biden is standing by his green-energy goals and blaming fossil-fuel companies for the consequences. This will make today’s energy problems even worse.
This only makes sense to deniers.

To be more specific, this only makes sense if you ignore the larger problem, which is the climate crisis.

And let's be clear here, blaming fossil fuel companies is NOT the same as blaming energy workers - which is how you characterized it in the part I quoted. (I know you were quoting someone, but that doesn't let you off the hook. You knew what you were doing.)

Please stop trying to get away with those dishonest sleights of hand.

This only makes sense to deniers.

To be more specific, this only makes sense if you ignore the larger problem, which is the climate crisis.

And let's be clear here, blaming fossil fuel companies is NOT the same as blaming energy workers - which is how you characterized it in the part I quoted. (I know you were quoting someone, but that doesn't let you off the hook. You knew what you were doing.)

Please stop trying to get away with those dishonest sleights of hand.
I agree he's spinning it as the workers, but that is far from 5he point of the post. You asked why Biden was pretending to expand opportunities to drill on federal land. I just gave you the answer. But it seems you'd rather quibble over a minor semantics.

"Democrats' bluster about 'corporate greed' is scaring away investors needed to expand energy supplies" whines the oh-so-predictable op-ed from the Wall Street Journal.

This is "have you stopped beating your wife?" journalism. It only makes sense if we do, in fact, "need to expand energy supplies." Which we don't.

If we want to help our European friends weather their failure to go green now that they are in trouble, well OK. But we need to be willing to pay that price - not pave it over with massive ecological debt just so whiny SUV owners don't have to bear the responsibility for their equally stupid decisions.

I agree he's spinning it as the workers, but that is far from 5he point of the post. You asked why Biden was pretending to expand opportunities to drill on federal land. I just gave you the answer. But it seems you'd rather quibble over a minor semantics.
Yeah, but he's not pretending. And folks like Exxon are the big winners.

Do you think this will have any impact on the availability of gas at the pump, or that it will generate anything more than a cosmetic bump in pump prices? How could it? It doesn't produce any more product.

But it risks exacerbating the already catastrophic climate crisis going forward.

Which is why I am pissed at Biden for doing this. It doesn't even plausibly have any political benefit for the Dems (unless, as I suggested earlier, it's part of some deal to pass needed legislation).

Last edited:
Reactions: PackerHawkeye1
"Democrats' bluster about 'corporate greed' is scaring away investors needed to expand energy supplies" whines the oh-so-predictable op-ed from the Wall Street Journal.

This is "have you stopped beating your wife?" journalism. It only makes sense if we do, in fact, "need to expand energy supplies." Which we don't.

If we want to help our European friends weather their failure to go green now that they are in trouble, well OK. But we need to be willing to pay that price - not pave it over with massive ecological debt just so whiny SUV owners don't have to bear the responsibility for their equally stupid decisions.
You are still avoiding the point. You feigned outrage at Biden regarding leasing on federal lands when it was all just a way for his administration to keep dragging its feet on exploration and drilling. You challenged my response by asking why he'd do that. I provided you the reason, now you try to change the subject. Sleight of hand, indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT