ADVERTISEMENT

Biden set to announce support for major Supreme Court changes

Now that the court ruled the president has immunity from everything and can even have those he disagrees with eliminated by Seal team Six, Biden should immediately begin using that and get Thomas and Alito off the court since they are crooked.

Now that the court ruled the president has immunity from everything and can even have those he disagrees with eliminated by Seal team Six, Biden should immediately begin using that and get Thomas and Alito off the court since they are crooked.
Panic Omg GIF

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
The potential changes come in response to growing outrage among his supporters about recent ethics scandals surrounding Justice Clarence Thomas and decisions by the new court majority that have changed legal precedent on issues including abortion and federal regulatory powers.

That's fairly pathetic. Change the rules because it's not going your way?

I agree with a code of ethics and limiting terms. As good moves going forward for all.

I’m for every POTUS getting to add 5. However only 9 get to hear cases and it’s random so plaintiffs won’t know if they’re getting majority libs or cons. I don’t care if there’s 50 justices. What the Republicans have pulled off - thanks Mitch - has effed us for decades.
They didn't pull off anything. Lucky.

The potential changes come in response to growing outrage among his supporters about recent ethics scandals surrounding Justice Clarence Thomas and decisions by the new court majority that have changed legal precedent on issues including abortion and federal regulatory powers.

That's fairly pathetic. Change the rules because it's not going your way?

I agree with a code of ethics and limiting terms. As good moves going forward for all.
Isn't this the sort of reason we'd tear into republicans for?

Things aren't going your way... time to change the rules.

Ahh you are so cute with your novice understanding of how the SCOTUS has changed over the years and is time for it to change once again.
Time for lots of things in government to change for the good of the country.
Age limits for all three branches…term limits…
You in?

Reactions: TennNole17
That’s not what this is about. If there was a D majority it wouldn’t be an issue.
Laughable response. The SCOTUS is proving itself incapable. of self regulation. The hubris of several justices is undeniable. This would be an issue no matter what. Common sense course correction is needed. Team Red won't do it because they are getting the wins they want.
In a non election year this would probably have bi-partisan support. People are fed up with justices taking $4 million dollars and lying that it doesn't affect their opinions.

Biden isn't advocating for anything. He is a Dementia patient being used by others to push ideology.

There is zero chance anything bidens handler wrote on this will go anywhere.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Laughable response. The SCOTUS is proving itself incapable. of self regulation. The hubris of several justices is undeniable. This would be an issue no matter what. Common sense course correction is needed. Team Red won't do it because they are getting the wins they want.
In a non election year this would probably have bi-partisan support. People are fed up with justices taking $4 million dollars and lying that it doesn't affect their opinions.
You are a fool

The Supreme Court doesn't answer to the president or congress. There is a process to hold a supreme court justoce accountable. Follow that process or stfu

Reactions: ICHerky
President Biden is finalizing plans to endorse major changes to the Supreme Court in the coming weeks, including proposals for legislation to establish term limits for the justices and an enforceable ethics code, according to two people briefed on the plans.

Cut through the 2024 election noise. Get The Campaign Moment newsletter.

He is also weighing whether to call for a constitutional amendment to eliminate broad immunity for presidents and other constitutional officeholders, the people said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations.

The announcement would mark a major shift for Biden, a former chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, who has long resisted calls to reform the high court. The potential changes come in response to growing outrage among his supporters about recent ethics scandals surrounding Justice Clarence Thomas and decisions by the new court majority that have changed legal precedent on issues including abortion and federal regulatory powers.

Biden previewed the shift in a Zoom call Saturday with the Congressional Progressive Caucus.
Follow Election 2024
“I’m going to need your help on the Supreme Court, because I’m about to come out — I don’t want to prematurely announce it — but I’m about to come out with a major initiative on limiting the court … I’ve been working with constitutional scholars for the last three months, and I need some help,” Biden said, according to a transcript of the call obtained by The Washington Post.
Many if not all of the changes would probably need congressional approval. The details of Biden’s considered policies have not been disclosed. A White House spokesperson declined to comment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...itid=mc_magnet-sc-ethics_inline_collection_18
http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...itid=mc_magnet-sc-ethics_inline_collection_19

Biden’s private remarks about his high court plans came more than two weeks after his wobbly, confused performance at a June 27 debate with Donald Trump, which prompted calls from some Democrats for him to step aside as the party’s presidential nominee. Among those who have rallied to his side are many liberals who strongly support calls to remake the court.

Four days after that debate, the Supreme Court ruled that Trump was immune from prosecution for official acts during his first term in office. Less than an hour later, Biden called Laurence Tribe, a constitutional law professor at Harvard Law School, to discuss the ruling and the arguments for and against reforming the court.
“This decision today has continued the court’s attack in recent years on a wide range of long-established legal principles in our nation, from gutting voting rights and civil rights to taking away a woman’s right to choose, to today’s decision that undermines the rule of law of this nation,” Biden said in public remarks later that day.

The next week, Biden called Tribe again and the two discussed a Guardian opinion piece he wrote endorsing reforms to the Supreme Court. Among the options they discussed: term limits, an enforceable ethics code and the constitutional amendment to address presidential immunity.
Tribe confirmed that he spoke with Biden but declined to comment about their discussion.

During the 2020 presidential race, Biden rebuffed calls from liberals who advocated expanding the court but promised he would create a commission to study potential changes. He followed through on that promise after being elected, and the commission issued a 294-page report to the president. Biden has not acted on the commission’s report since they approved it in December 2021.

Approval ratings of the Supreme Court have dropped precipitously in recent years, and Biden finds himself trying to resuscitate a flagging presidential campaign after the politically disastrous debate.
Skip to end of carousel

Supreme Court 2024 major cases​

End of carousel
Since he was elected, the Supreme Court has veered sharply to the right — overturning Roe v. Wade, ended affirmative action in college admissions, weakening federal agencies’ power by overturning a 40-year decision and striking down Biden’s student-loan forgiveness program. Biden condemned the court’s recent ruling on presidential immunity, arguing on July 1 that it should motivate Americans to vote for his reelection.
“Each of us is equal before the law. No one — no one is above the law, not even the president of the United States,” Biden said in a White House address. “With today’s Supreme Court decision on presidential immunity, that fundamentally changed.”
Eight Democratic senators have co-sponsored a bill that would establish 18-year terms for Supreme Court justices, with a new justice appointed every two years. The nine most recently appointed justices would sit for appellate jurisdiction cases, while others would be able to hear original jurisdiction cases or to step in as a substitute if one of the most recent nine is conflicted or cannot hear a case for another reason.

The legislation was introduced by Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), but it has been co-sponsored by Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Alex Padilla (D-Calif.), Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), Peter Welch (D-Vt.), Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.).

Please little baby jesus go for this…

That’s not what this is about. If there was a D majority it wouldn’t be an issue.
No, it was about the political gamesmanship that McConnell pulled. It was absolutely atrocious what he did. If that didn't happen I would be upset with current court rulings but accept them. Same way I am when I president I don't want gets into office.

I personally think the Supreme court should have 1 member representing each of the 12 federal districts. A final 13th member is appointed by the President with a required up/down vote in the first month by the Senate. When the President's term is expired, that court member is removed.

I don't necessarily want term limits. I do want age limits. No one past 70. Roberts is 69, Thomas is 76, Alito is 74, and Sotomeyer is 70. Time to go.

Sure Jan

Reactions: MikeyHawk
No, it was about the political gamesmanship that McConnell pulled. It was absolutely atrocious what he did. If that didn't happen I would be upset with current court rulings but accept them. Same way I am when I president I don't want gets into office.
Not gamesmanship. Checks and balances

Because we gotta get more liberal justices!!!
There hasn't been a Democrat majority on the court since 1986 despite them only losing the popular vote twice in that time and one of those times was after Bush Jr lost the popular vote the first time but won the electoral college. That is ridiculous to me and should be ridiculous to you as well.

And I think dems should do whatever they can to unpack the court as that is what has happened. If it wasn't for the rat****ing McConnell pulled I would have a lot less to say about the Supreme Court.

There hasn't been a Democrat majority on the court since 1986 despite them only losing the popular vote twice in that time and one of those times was after Bush Jr lost the popular vote the first time but won the electoral college. That is ridiculous to me and should be ridiculous to you as well.

And I think dems should do whatever they can to unpack the court as that is what has happened. If it wasn't for the rat****ing McConnell pulled I would have a lot less to say about the Supreme Court.
Ok

I think you’re forgetting a couple people…

Involving a book publisher??????

Very serious charges here!!!!!!!

Link?

LOLOLOLOLOL

Maybe it's time we looked into some RV charges?

You can't be serious!

smh&jfc!

I think we've granted too much executive and legislative power to the Supreme Court. The scope of their rulings on Court cases should be limited to those cases and future cases should be decided on their own merit, not what a partisan panel decided in some cases decades prior. Times change, society changes, views evolve...But we are supposed to honor a ruling from 1880 because of stare decisis?

I'd like to see the Supreme Court get out if taking cases and simply decide if federal laws are constitutional.

They wouldn't have much to do, but that's okay, the only power they would wield is to decide if things like an individual mandate for health insurance is legal.

There would still be each state's supreme court for deciding cases based in their state's constitution.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
I think we've granted too much executive and legislative power to the Supreme Court. The scope of their rulings on Court cases should be limited to those cases and future cases should be decided on their own merit, not what a partisan panel decided in some cases decades prior. Times change, society changes, views evolve...But we are supposed to honor a ruling from 1880 because of stare decisis?

I'd like to see the Supreme Court get out if taking cases and simply decide if federal laws are constitutional.

They wouldn't have much to do, but that's okay, the only power they would wield is to decide if things like an individual mandate for health insurance is legal.

There would still be each state's supreme court for deciding cases based in their state's constitution.
No one granted them too much power.

They just took it!

Impeach them.

Are you even trying to be serious here?
You asked for a link.

Involving a book publisher??????

Very serious charges here!!!!!!!

Link?

LOLOLOLOLOL

Maybe it's time we looked into some RV charges?

You can't be serious!

smh&jfc!
So...from the link.

CNN —
Two Supreme Court justices did not recuse themselves from cases that came before the court over the past decade involving a publishing company that’s paid them in lucrative book deals.

In two separate copyright infringement cases concerning the publishing conglomerate Penguin Random House, the high court declined to take up the appeals, with the court saying in 2013 that it wouldn’t hear the first case, and the second case being turned away from the court in 2019 and again in 2020. In both cases, the publisher won at the lower court level, and those decisions stood.

Liberal Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who joined the court in 2009 and has been paid millions of dollars from the publisher over the years, declined to recuse herself in all three instances.

You ok with that?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT