ADVERTISEMENT

Biden shut down Wuhan Lab investigation this Spring

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Washington(CNN)President Joe Biden's team shut down a closely-held State Department effort launched late in the Trump administration to prove the coronavirus originated in a Chinese lab over concerns about the quality of its work, according to three sources familiar with the decision.

The existence of the State Department inquiry and its termination this spring by the Biden administration -- neither of which has been
previously reported -- comes to light amid renewed interest in whether the virus could have leaked out of a Wuhan lab with links to the Chinese military. The Biden administration is also facing scrutiny of its own efforts to determine if the Chinese government was responsible for the virus.

Those involved in the previously undisclosed inquiry, which was launched last fall by allies of then-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, say it was an honest effort to probe what many initially dismissed: that China's biological weapons program could have had a greater role in the pandemic's origin in Wuhan, according to two additional sources.

But the inquiry quickly became mired in internal discord amid concerns that it was part of a broader politicized effort by the Trump administration to blame China and cherry-pick facts to prove a theory.

The decision to terminate the inquiry, which was run primarily out of the State Department's arms control and verification bureau, was made after Biden officials were briefed on the team's draft findings in February and March of this year, a State Department spokesperson said. Questions were raised about the legitimacy of the findings and the project was deemed to be an ineffective use of resources, explained a source familiar with the decision.

Sources involved in the Trump-era inquiry rejected criticisms over the quality of their work and told CNN their objective had been to examine scientific research and information from the US intelligence community which backed the lab leak theory and shone more light on how it could have emerged in the lab.

Though Biden officials shut down this particular inquiry, they remain skeptical of Beijing's role in limiting investigators from accessing information that may be pertinent to the origins of the virus. US intelligence agencies continue to examine the question of whether the virus emerged naturally from human contact with infected animals or if it could have been the result of a laboratory accident.

One US intelligence report, which CNN and the Wall Street Journal recently reported on, found that several researchers at China's Wuhan Institute of Virology fell ill in November 2019 and had to be hospitalized, a new detail which has fueled the continued debate about the virus's origin. The exact nature of their symptoms remain unclear.
A State Department spokesperson confirmed work on the inquiry had stopped, saying, "Even though this discrete project has concluded, the State Department continues to work with the interagency to look into the COVID origins issue."

The decision to terminate the inquiry, which was run primarily out of the State Department's arms control and verification bureau, was made after Biden officials were briefed on the team's draft findings in February and March of this year, a State Department spokesperson said. Questions were raised about the legitimacy of the findings and the project was deemed to be an ineffective use of resources, explained a source familiar with the decision.

Seems pretty straightforward. I mean if the data is shit do you keep moving forward?

Viva la communist China!

LBJ-Clap.gif

"US intelligence agencies continue to examine the question of whether the virus emerged naturally from human contact with infected animals or if it could have been the result of a laboratory accident."

Jen Psaki said we (Biden, et al.) are leaving this investigation up to the WHO.

This China ass-kissing is getting out of control.

"US intelligence agencies continue to examine the question of whether the virus emerged naturally from human contact with infected animals or if it could have been the result of a laboratory accident."

If they turn this investigation over to the WHO it'll be a political anchor around the administrations neck.

I wouldn't trust anything that emanated from the Trump administration and Pompeo. Biden was right to shut it down and begin a new investigation.
Negative.

The Biden admin would have oversight over the final product and can point the investigation in any direction they want.

This opens the door to allegations of covering something up......stupid decision politically. Like I said....anchor around their necks and totally unnecessary.

Reactions: SIXERS24
No
No he wasn’t. But good job being a loyal team Blue soldier.

Soft on China, soft on Russia, soft on Iran, soft on Hamas. That's the leadership we were lacking?

Good lord. I can’t believe how blind politics makes you sheep.
It's incredible how quickly people forget how utterly politically tainted and motivated everything with the Trump administration was. We're either dealing with denialists, ignoramuses, the mentally challenged, or all three.

It's incredible how quickly people forget how utterly politically tainted and motivated everything with the Trump administration was. We're either dealing with denialists, ignoramuses, the mentally challenged, or all three.

I didn’t forget shit. It’s why I said politics. I meant all you sheep on both sides. It’s ridiculous.

Biden doesn't publicly embarrass foreign leaders. If he talks tough, he does so in private. It has nothing to do with ass kissing. I think you are thinking of the last president who kept telling us the China had the virus under control and we didn't need to worry.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
It was the right decision to shut down the joke Pompeo investigation.

It would be the right decision to start a fresh investigation now, and then allow Americans (and Xi) to compare what we come up with vs. what WHO says.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL

It would be the right decision to start a fresh investigation now, and then allow Americans (and Xi) to compare what we come up with vs. what WHO says.

Psaki said there was no independent US investigation - we are all in with the WHO.

Negative.

The Biden admin would have oversight over the final product and can point the investigation in any direction they want.

This opens the door to allegations of covering something up......stupid decision politically. Like I said....anchor around their necks and totally unnecessary.

Possibly, or they looked at and saw it had turned into a colossal screwup and decided it would be easier to start from scratch. Or do you doubt that Pompeo had started the invest with a predetermined conclusion?

Negative.

And if Biden did what you suggest would the repubs just lay down and accept the conclusion or would they yell from the trees COVER UP!!! YOU ignored what Trump did!!!

Possibly, or they looked at and saw it had turned into a colossal screwup and decided it would be easier to start from scratch. Or do you doubt that Pompeo had started the invest with a predetermined conclusion?
Even if that’s true...Biden’s folks are in charge now and they determine what’s in the final report. When psaki said they were considering leaving it up to the WHO it was pretty evident they didn’t want to do their own investigation which I think is a mistake

And if Biden did what you suggest would the repubs just lay down and accept the conclusion or would they yell from the trees COVER UP!!! YOU ignored what Trump did!!!
They could scream all they want but the investigation started under Trump would have continued and they wouldn’t have a leg stand on....

By canceling the investigation and suggesting it’s up to the WHO they threw that line of attack wide open. Personally, I have issues with leaving it up to the WHO.

Even if that’s true...Biden’s folks are in charge now and they determine what’s in the final report. When psaki said they were considering leaving it up to the WHO it was pretty evident they didn’t want to do their own investigation which I think is a mistake

Maybe but at the same time idk how you do a thorough investigation without international cooperation. To me I don’t think this is something we can do alone, especially if China doesn’t want to cooperate with us alone.

Maybe but at the same time idk how you do a thorough investigation without international cooperation. To me I don’t think this is something we can do alone, especially if China doesn’t want to cooperate with us alone.
I agree with that. I just have serious doubts about how objective the WHO could be....they’ve been carrying China’s water during COVID.

Certainly complicates an international investigation for sure

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I agree with that. I just have serious doubts about how objective the WHO could be....they’ve been carrying China’s water during COVID.

Certainly complicates an international investigation for sure

Well any investigation involving China would be complicated by default. My main gripe from some on this thread are about those who think an independent investigation on our own would be any easier.
Senate is working on a bill to ban funding of Wuhan Lab. Does anyone here have a problem with that?
Depending on the specifics, not really.

I guess I’d like to know that the funding we had sent previously had not been used per our specifications. Or that they truly are at fault for the initial outbreak.

I guess I'd have to wonder why Biden needs to direct Intelligence Agencies to investigate. Presumably they would have been doing that all along.

Agreed. But are they going to investigate or leave it up to the WHO?

I guess I'd have to wonder why Biden needs to direct Intelligence Agencies to investigate. Presumably they would have been doing that all along.
Yeah idk, maybe it’s one of those goofy things where they can only do so much without presidential authorization.

But that’s not what they did. They shut it down because they claimed there was no evidence...despite what seems to be overwhelming evidence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT