ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Expansion

The reason? Keeping an athletic department alive and relevant. Sit back and watch other schools soak up the bucks and you're going to be in a world of hurt. The eventual move to a P5 "Big 64" isn't great news for small wrestling programs.

As for that rumor, not only have I never heard it but it is completely nonsensical. The B1G would have taken them before they had a chance to hang up the phone.
Point taken. Your answer concurs with my post question, posing that athletic department’s are on solid ground financially.

Your replies always have a demeaning connotation, as to invite defense of one’s character, intellect or opinion. I have been married to the same woman for over 30 years and have traveled this road, as I trudge toward my happy destiny.
I would agree it would be dumb for the BIG not to add OU and TX.
See my post below in response to my nonsensical statement.

would take oklahoma but don't like texas they are to full of themselves.they have been fighting for years to get biggest piece of pie and give the rest scaps. they are like notre dame.

Academics don’t play a part in this. It only serves as an excuse that fans come up with to keep someone out. The big tv markets used to play a big role but not anymore with all the cord cutting and streaming. The big ten is safe as long as Ohio state isn’t going anywhere.

the ou and texas moves seem odd to me. They can’t be making that much more money, if any, when you look at their tier three media rights and how much they both make off those. Texas will be the instant bitch of football, prolly do pretty well in baseball and basketball. OU just gave up their automatic pass to the football playoffs. These teams and espn are determined to ruin college sports. Just turn the sec into semi pro and let the rest of the schools play for something lol.

SEC the huge winner in all this.
As a PSU fan, Kansas and Iowa State add absolutely nothing.
Go big or go home.
To me, aside from the disaster for the Big 12, the Big Ten is a loser in this latest move.

Reactions: rider57
SEC the huge winner in all this.
As a PSU fan, Kansas and Iowa State add absolutely nothing.
Go big or go home.
To me, aside from the disaster for the Big 12, the Big Ten is a loser in this latest move.

Ever heard of the ACC and the PAC 12? The B1G is in way, wayyyy better position.

Point taken. Your answer concurs with my post question, posing that athletic department’s are on solid ground financially.

Your replies always have a demeaning connotation, as to invite defense of one’s character, intellect or opinion. I have been married to the same woman for over 30 years and have traveled this road, as I trudge toward my happy destiny.
I would agree it would be dumb for the BIG not to add OU and TX.
See my post below in response to my nonsensical statement.

Spooner learned his lesson after the "Ayala went to 132 for state thread" where he got absolutely thrashed - since then he's been civil. Much better board - for now. Wrestling season still a ways off - LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Inthecircle
There are 150 high school hockey teams in PA. Their HS hockey is sanctioned by USA hockey and run by the Penguins and Flyers.

Iowa has 8.

Hockey fan bases in Iowa aren't really built around Iowans playing high school hockey though, it's based on almost half the USHL teams that put the players into D1 hockey being located in Iowa. Sioux City, Des Moines, Waterloo, Dubuque, and Cedar Rapids all regularly have alumni in the NHL, top round draft picks (who are still allowed to play in college even when drafted) and all-American NCAA players. The recruiting area would literally be in Iowa's backyard.

Hockey fan bases in Iowa aren't really built around Iowans playing high school hockey though, it's based on almost half the USHL teams that put the players into D1 hockey being located in Iowa. Sioux City, Des Moines, Waterloo, Dubuque, and Cedar Rapids all regularly have alumni in the NHL, top round draft picks (who are still allowed to play in college even when drafted) and all-American NCAA players. The recruiting area would literally be in Iowa's backyard.

Well, first I was responding to an erroneous post about high school hockey. But also, we are talking about the relative interest in hockey in the state. The number of high school programs and participation is a meaningful data point. There are others,

Th
Even if hockey isn't big in Iowa I'd be optimistic. In PA there is little hockey base in high school (though they have 2 NHL teams) but PSU got a big donation to get hockey going, they stole a good coach, and are now an important team nationally.
This.

I would love to have hockey in Iowa, but I believe title IX also plays a part in this as well. They add they must add a women's sport as well, correct?

Furthmore, PSU is at the top (except this year losers) in wrestling and are inching closer in Hockey. These two sports do not compete against each other and attract totally different athletes.

Th
This.

I would love to have hockey in Iowa, but I believe title IX also plays a part in this as well. They add they must add a women's sport as well, correct?

Furthmore, PSU is at the top (except this year losers) in wrestling and are inching closer in Hockey. These two sports do not compete against each other and attract totally different athletes.
Yes. Hockey has 18 scholarships and a fairly large squad. To add Hockey, you would need to add women’s hockey or something if equivalent size. I think when PSU added hockey they added both men’s and women’s.

If Okie State joins the B1G, that will make the conference tournament even more fun.
Yeah, not happening.

The athletic budgets at the remaining B12 schools are about to get slashed. I'd be pretty concerned as a coach in a non-revenue sport right now.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Yeah, not happening.

The athletic budgets at the remaining B12 schools are about to get slashed. I'd be pretty concerned as a coach in a non-revenue sport right now.
Sounds like TB just got a contract renewal? Maybe Iowa won’t cut wrestling. Lol

I thought Iowa was in the Big 14 🤔. Math is hard in college.
Take a fuzzy math class and it will make more sense. I think the class is required for many degrees, including political science, advertising, social media marketing, tax/accounting, and applied hillbilly science. The latter has surprising and honest utility, e.g., 1 rabbit + 1 rabbit can equal 14 rabbits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT