ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 10….ouch

bumper52

HR All-State
Nov 25, 2019
After watching most of games this week, it’s pretty evident basketball talent is down throughout the country. The blue bloods Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina are (as a whole) are weak. North Carolina ok. Also, the results have confirmed what I’ve said all this year: this may have been the worst the Big 10 has ever been. Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin….wow….very mediocre at best. Purdue and Illinois have looked good. I think the winner of the ISU-ILINOIS game makes it to the final four. The reason for this post is simple: the basketball, for the most part, has been painful to watch….so I’d rather spend my time on this forum….lol To add to the misery I’ll watch the Hawks tonight and just think: no wonder we got blown out by Purdue and Iowa State. Those teams play solid basketball….duh, like defense. Hmmm…what a novel idea, Fran.

I think the winner of the ISU-ILINOIS game makes it to the final four.
I agree with most of what you posted, but don't know where you pulled this one out. UConn is going to sleep-walk to the Final Four, and I doubt they'll have much competition all the way to repeating.

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
After watching most of games this week, it’s pretty evident basketball talent is down throughout the country. The blue bloods Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina are (as a whole) are weak. North Carolina ok. Also, the results have confirmed what I’ve said all this year: this may have been the worst the Big 10 has ever been. Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin….wow….very mediocre at best. Purdue and Illinois have looked good. I think the winner of the ISU-ILINOIS game makes it to the final four. The reason for this post is simple: the basketball, for the most part, has been painful to watch….so I’d rather spend my time on this forum….lol To add to the misery I’ll watch the Hawks tonight and just think: no wonder we got blown out by Purdue and Iowa State. Those teams play solid basketball….duh, like defense. Hmmm…what a novel idea, Fran.
Agreed, I am not actually sold on Purdue either....waiting for the proverbial other shoe to drop with Painter... ;)

With the collapse of the G League Ignite, college hoops will see a huge improvement in talent soon.

This past year G league Ingnite didn't sign the 1 and dones and that is why it collapsed, or that is my understanding. The age of NIL already happened this year, so the 1 and dones are staying in USA colleges this year.

The covid year is still in play and keeping players around. NIL is keeping guys from leaving earlly. I think Edey got $1 million to stay at Purdue...he could have played professionally and made good money somewhere.

With the advent of the pause, dribble drive take 3 steps pause in the air then kick out for a 3 really all that matters is 3 point shooting and home officiating so you get to the line more.

You realize that winner of ISU/Illinois get to play UCONN in Boston? Possible but highly inprobable.

Do you think the G League shutting down will significantly improve the quality of the men's game? (At least that's how I interpreted what one media source was saying, although when I first heard about it I thought it was just a single franchise shutting down) I'm not sure how much that affected the talent in colleges. How many players actually skipped college to play there that could have played in college? I'm betting there might be some that didn't have the grades but the overall quality of life for players in college is far better than on a G-league team.

We all knew the Big Ten was down, but the Big Ten has as many teams in the Sweet 16 as the Big 12, who we've had to listen to talk about how great they were all season, and how the NET rankings aren't flawed. The ACC has 4, Big East 3 teams, and the SEC 2. At this point of the tournaments, the Big Ten doesn't really look that bad. Houston needed OT to get by an 8 seed. Tech got blown out by an 11 seed. BYU lost to an 11 seed. Baylor lost to a 6 seed, TCU blown out by an 8 seed, Kansas blown out by a 5 seed. Awful showing for what many thought was the best conference. MWC was even worse. Illinois and Purdue have blown out their two opponents, while MSU and NW both won their toss up games before losing to 1 seeds. Wisconsin was the only one who has looked bad, and we are all happy about that one.

Reactions: EagleHawk
This past year G league Ingnite didn't sign the 1 and dones and that is why it collapsed, or that is my understanding. The age of NIL already happened this year, so the 1 and dones are staying in USA colleges this year.

The covid year is still in play and keeping players around. NIL is keeping guys from leaving earlly. I think Edey got $1 million to stay at Purdue...he could have played professionally and made good money somewhere.
Nothing against Edey as a human being, but my gawd, the guy's only skill is being bigger than most silos. It's like if I played against 4th graders. I'd score at will and grab almost every rebound, and it would have nothing at all to do with talent.

How Edey can be the NPOY--twice--is baffling to me. There are literally hundreds of college players with far more skill . . . but they don't happen to be 7-4 and 300 pounds. Bad on them I guess . . .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT