ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 gave Iowa a nice bye week next year between UCLA out west and Maryland out east

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
It is sort of a late in the season bye week. I wonder if it is specially because of the multiple time zone travel and whether this type of bye will show up for other teams in this situation.

If FSU were to come into the league that flight is a long one.

Do the hawks still take a charter out of Cedar Rapids and bus up there to catch their flights?

Reactions: ichawk24
B1G travel is going to be plain brutal from now on. The price paid for the necessary expansion to keep up with the joneses. I don't know if the bye week you're referring to was on purpose or not, but the B1G schedule is complicated, and even if they do the best they can, some teams are going to get screwed, and it will always be worse for the West Coast teams compared to the others.

It is sort of a late in the season bye week. I wonder if it is specially because of the multiple time zone travel and whether this type of bye will show up for other teams in this situation.

Do the hawks still take a charter out of Cedar Rapids and bus up there to catch their flights?
2 bye weeks in 2024; 1 extra Saturday than normal between End of August and Dec. 1st. Can use all the healing time they can get, especially having to travel coast to coast during the season.

Agree the travel is going to be dumb. Wouldn't be surprised if they add more and go back to regional divisions at some point. Maybe even three divisions (east, central, west), then you have mini B1G tourney with three division winners and wild car

Reactions: uihawk82
I like our schedule for next year.
At OSU is brutal but probably the only game we are prohibitive dogs.
Getting ISU Wis Neb NW and UWash in Kinnick is good.
At UCLA in Nov could be fun with Iowa fans flocking to rose Bowl maybe outnumbering Bruin fans.

Most of the teams we face lose their QBs this year.
UWash loses 51 5th and 6th year guys.
Road schedule:
OSU
Minny
MSU
UCLA
Md
On paper we could contend for BIG title game again.

Last edited:
Reactions: ichawk24
I like our schedule for next year.
At OSU is brutal but probably the only game we are prohibitive dogs.
Getting ISU Wis Neb NW and UWash in Kinnick is good.
At UCLA in Nov could be fun with Iowa fans flocking to rose Bowl maybe outnumbering Bruin fans.

Most of the teams we face lose their QBs this year.
UWash loses 51 5th and 6th year guys.
Road schedule:
OSU
Minny
MSU
UCLA
ILL
On paper we could contend for BIG title game again.
If DeJean, Castro and Higgins are back and Lachey on offense. We would be loaded. Also assuming Jackson gets his extra year.

That is the B10’s design. All schools similarly affected got the same schedule break. The challenge comes in scheduling the “Olympic sports”...

That late season schedule is a little odd. Penultimate home game of the season is Wisky on Nov 2. (Six of our first nine at home, its like we're Michigan)

Then its three weeks: at UCLA, bye, at Maryland.

We follow with the final home game against Nebraska on Nov 29. A long November stretch not at home.

So maybe I am missing something BUT if you are USC, you are probably playing 7 home games. You are then playing either Washington/Oregon on the road and if you play UCLA on the road it is basically another home game. So you have 8 or 9 west coast games. So 3 or 4 trips to other BT schools.

If you are Iowa in 2024 you have 7 home games. One west coast game, one east coast game (2 weeks later) and then 3 other road games (two of which are separated by an off week.

In 2025...very similar....7 home games, one West Coast trip. One East coast trip.

I know it is just a few years but it seems pretty workable. (at least for FB).

Basketball they just need to make sure if you are playing USC out there you play UCLS the same week (Wed/Sat or Thursday/Sun),,,,,,same with Wash/Oregon. I think this is where the travel will more of a chore for the West Coast teams.

Expansion is dumb. I've said before its stupid, at some point the BIG and SEC will get to somewhere around 24 then they will be forced to go to divisions.

Then oh my god what do ya know the West division looks like all PAC 12 schools. Gee look Iowa's division includes Neb, Minn, Wis, Ill, NW. We are just going to get old conference/division alignments under a new Conference name. I know its $ driven but again it's stupid.

So maybe I am missing something BUT if you are USC, you are probably playing 7 home games. You are then playing either Washington/Oregon on the road and if you play UCLA on the road it is basically another home game. So you have 8 or 9 west coast games. So 3 or 4 trips to other BT schools.
Just consider that the West Coast teams staying on the West Coast can be one hell of a travel weekend, too. Iowa has 5 potential road trips that are closer trips than between Seattle and Eugene (and a 6th - Purdue - is just a tad longer). And traveling between L.A. and the Northwest schools is basically the same as going from Lincoln to Rutgers. The L.A. schools get 4 road trips a year, and if they're lucky, the shortest will be a little shorter than the trip from Iowa City to College Park. And we haven't even mentioned non-conference games.

No matter how you slice it, travel is doing to be brutal, and as was mentioned above, the football teams will have it easy compared to the Olympic sports.

No more free Big 10 rides but the new schedule vs new teams was generous. But now must those teams can complete a forward pass, so don’t get your hopes up. A lot of 24-0 31-0 Penn t type losses coming up. With the occasional 54-10 42-3 messes.

That late season schedule is a little odd. Penultimate home game of the season is Wisky on Nov 2. (Six of our first nine at home, its like we're Michigan)

Then its three weeks: at UCLA, bye, at Maryland.

We follow with the final home game against Nebraska on Nov 29. A long November stretch not at home.
Maryland could be a wildcard in 2024. Tags will be gone, so breaking in a new QB. Maybe Iowa can punch them in the mouth early like they did the last time they travelled to College Park.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT