ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Bounced

morgan freeman cinema GIF

Like a fart in the wind…

I was telling my ISU friends all year the Big 12 was weak and they wouldn't get a team in the elite 8. I was laughed at. Feels Goodman. To be fair I was being an asshole and figured ISU or Houston would make the elite 8. The group texts have been pretty amazing the last few days.
Their strength was based somewhat similar to the SEC in football. Don't play anyone outside of the conference and the prognosticators will all give the conference high ratings based on their recruiting numbers ratings, tradition, and press clippings (e.g. See IU's basketball recruit rankings and their results this year. They had the B1G's highest recruiting rankings coming into this season.) I was always puzzled by the Kenpom metrics having Houston rated #1 all season with their strongest non-con opponent being Dayton, #31 currently in Kenpom. Their other 2 top non-con opponents were Texas A&M (KP current #35) and Utah (KP current #45). Once you get into conference play, it's all a closed set with no outside influences that will upset the previous prognostications.

Their strength was based somewhat similar to the SEC in football. Don't play anyone outside of the conference and the prognosticators will all give the conference high ratings based on their recruiting numbers ratings, tradition, and press clippings (e.g. See IU's basketball recruit rankings and their results this year. They had the B1G's highest recruiting rankings coming into this season.) I was always puzzled by the Kenpom metrics having Houston rated #1 all season with their strongest non-con opponent being Dayton, #31 currently in Kenpom. Their other 2 top non-con opponents were Texas A&M (KP current #35) and Utah (KP current #45). Once you get into conference play, it's all a closed set with no outside influences that will upset the previous prognostications.
There was a thread that had a post about the Big12 NET rankings. Bascially said the same thing you said.

I was telling my ISU friends all year the Big 12 was weak and they wouldn't get a team in the elite 8. I was laughed at. Feels Goodman. To be fair I was being an asshole and figured ISU or Houston would make the elite 8. The group texts have been pretty amazing the last few days.
I never believed that Iowa State was going to get past the round of 16. Their style of play isn't what the NCAA is looking for. There was no way that the NCAA was going to risk a game with a final score of 50 to 45. Not good for the game and particular the advertisers. Their game is a lot like the Detroit Pistons of old. Beat the crap out of your opponent and dare the officials to call all the fouls you commit. Officials just aren't going to do that. They are going to start letting fouls slide. By the end of the game, people are getting hammered, and fouls aren't called. That's how Iowa State won.

Stan Van Gundy said it well the other night. I'm paraphrasing now but he said that ISU has adopted the Jerry Sloan style/philosophy of defense that you foul on every possession and that refs won't possibly call every foul. It's a fugly brand of ball, and I hate it. Yeah, they won a lot of games, but man it's not a fun style to watch. We already have football, wrestling, rugby, UFC.

It’s a fun style to watch when you’re imposing your will on the opponent for 40 minutes and winning 29 games. When Iowa State struggled this year, it was because shots weren’t falling, not the style of play.

I think Houston wins easily last night if Shedd doesn’t get injured. You don’t lose a first team All-American and expect to survive. They may be the unluckiest team in America considering all the players they lost to injury this season, yet won over 30 games. They were lucky to keep it close, IMO.

These arguments about conference strength based on 1 week of games are beyond stupid. Houston just lost with their All-American not playing so that equates to the Big 12 being overrated? Kansas lost without their All-American so that means they were overrated?
On the flip side, Purdue and Illinois making the Elite 8, obviously means B10 > most other conferences, and how dare they underrate us throughout the season!!!!!...................

When in reality, we know as B10 fans, that the conference was mostly trash save for Purdue and an Illinois team that got hot and benefitted from an "easier" path to the Elite 8, while playing an alleged rapist.

Much like with the CFP/bowl game results, the NCAA Tournament doesn't actually mean a goddamn thing when it comes to conference strength.

Reactions: NI hawk
I never believed that Iowa State was going to get past the round of 16. Their style of play isn't what the NCAA is looking for. There was no way that the NCAA was going to risk a game with a final score of 50 to 45. Not good for the game and particular the advertisers. Their game is a lot like the Detroit Pistons of old. Beat the crap out of your opponent and dare the officials to call all the fouls you commit. Officials just aren't going to do that. They are going to start letting fouls slide. By the end of the game, people are getting hammered, and fouls aren't called. That's how Iowa State won.
If they would have made a couple of layups, they would still be playing.

Stan Van Gundy said it well the other night. I'm paraphrasing now but he said that ISU has adopted the Jerry Sloan style/philosophy of defense that you foul on every possession and that refs won't possibly call every foul. It's a fugly brand of ball, and I hate it. Yeah, they won a lot of games, but man it's not a fun style to watch. We already have football, wrestling, rugby, UFC.
I love watching it if it results in wins for my team. Better than Fran's style.

Yup, and I don't care that Houston's and KU's best players went down - both teams were over seeded to begin with. Also, when was the last time a #1 ranked team lost by 28 in March!!?!? Pretty sure Houston's best player was not hurt in that game....too lazy to look it up though. ;)

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
These arguments about conference strength based on 1 week of games are beyond stupid. Houston just lost with their All-American not playing so that equates to the Big 12 being overrated? Kansas lost without their All-American so that means they were overrated?
the big 12 just got ousted and every team lost to a lower seed, most of the seeds were by more than 2 seeds.
seems to me that is the epitome of over rated,

KU had been on life support for 2 months or so before the guy got hurt--I will give you the Houston guy--

Every year Clone fans go on and on about strength of conference based on the tourney. This year it didn’t work out for them so must ignore the results.

I agree completely. I see LSU women seem to do the same thing but the reffing is so bad they let both teams get away with dozens of fouls

Reactions: Willin
You are aware that their best player (Snead) got hurt and didn't play in the 2nd half?

An earlier post said that he didn't care if Houston or KU's best player got hurt. Fine. If Clark turns an ankle and misses half of the LSU game, would that impact the outcome? You take any teams best play out, and your chances of winning diminish. They lost by 3. I think not having Snead was a factor.

I hate the notion that the NCAAs prove or disprove a conferences strength. In a one game situation, any team can get bear. Who was the best conference? Who knows and really who cares. Its a dumb argument limited to message boards.

Reactions: Bruceman44
You are aware that their best player (Snead) got hurt and didn't play in the 2nd half?

An earlier post said that he didn't care if Houston or KU's best player got hurt. Fine. If Clark turns an ankle and misses half of the LSU game, would that impact the outcome? You take any teams best play out, and your chances of winning diminish. They lost by 3. I think not having Snead was a factor.

I hate the notion that the NCAAs prove or disprove a conferences strength. In a one game situation, any team can get bear. Who was the best conference? Who knows and really who cares. Its a dumb argument limited to message boards.
"I hate the notion that the NCAAs prove or disprove a conferences strength. In a one game situation, any team can get bear. Who was the best conference? Who knows and really who cares. Its a dumb argument limited to message boards."

I agree and who really cares, just a topic of conversation IMO

I agree DewHawk. Something to talk about, but people look for any reason to rip the Big 12. If Illinois loses to UConn (likely) and Purdue is beat by Tennessee (maybe), it doesn't mean the Big Ten "sucks" or was "overrated" because they got zero teams to Final Four. It means they lost a game.

It’s a fun style to watch when you’re imposing your will on the opponent for 40 minutes and winning 29 games. When Iowa State struggled this year, it was because shots weren’t falling, not the style of play.

I think Houston wins easily last night if Shedd doesn’t get injured. You don’t lose a first team All-American and expect to survive. They may be the unluckiest team in America considering all the players they lost to injury this season, yet won over 30 games. They were lucky to keep it close, IMO.
Lots of excuses now for how horrible the Big 12 was in the tourney. 13-0 in non conference and played no one. In
Wasn’t there a thread on here started by a clown saying the big 12 should have two 1 seeds and Purdue didn’t deserve one?
Purdue played N N
"I hate the notion that the NCAAs prove or disprove a conferences strength. In a one game situation, any team can get bear. Who was the best conference? Who knows and really who cares. Its a dumb argument limited to message boards."

I agree and who really cares, just a topic of conversation IMO
you hate it when your league sucks

Lots of excuses now for how horrible the Big 12 was in the tourney. 13-0 in non conference and played no one. In

Purdue played N N

you hate it when your league sucks
What my league? I am a BIG/Hawkeye so your comment is less than accurate. But, it really does not make any difference who believes what conference is the best. Try to follow along this time.

I agree DewHawk. Something to talk about, but people look for any reason to rip the Big 12. If Illinois loses to UConn (likely) and Purdue is beat by Tennessee (maybe), it doesn't mean the Big Ten "sucks" or was "overrated" because they got zero teams to Final Four. It means they lost a game.

Forever a victim. I’m sorry your conference underperformed this year. The B1G, at least recently has been blasted for poor tournament performances. Suck it up and take the criticism this year. It’s warranted.

Why do the majority of posters on this site want a change at head coach? Regular season performance? Ehhh, it’s mostly been fine. No it’s the lack of success in March. That’s what’s remembered when all is said and done.

But yet you know what’s really important at the end of the day. Unless in a particular year it doesn’t fit your narrative.

I come in peace, not trying to rub in your loss to Richmond. ISU fans know what it's like (Hampton + UAB). Just want to offer some perspective.

The best season in ISU bball history (99-00) included a regular season + conference tourney title. What every ISU fan remembers though is getting to the Elite Eight. The conference titles were great, but the run they made in the NCAAs, and coming close to a Final Four, far exceeds them.

Reactions: DougFHawkeye
Not one game. How about 8? BIG 12 got great seeds because they played horrible non-league schedules. They had great seeds and EACH Big 12 team lost to a lower seed. 8 games they were assumed to be the better team and lost them all. This isn't about just Houston. The rest of the league flunked the eye test too. I did not watch much Big 12 basketball this season until the tournament but I guess I believed all my Cyclone friends who told me that the conference was by far the best in America. Well, I watched parts of each Big 12 game, and nothing stood out to me.
A little side note on schedule: ISU poster claiming Big 12 should have (2 #1 seeds)
Houston: 13-0 in non-league. Houston played a pussy schedule. Best win was over Tex. A&M, who had 15 losses this season.
ISU: 11-2 non league. They lost to the two best teams they played in non-league. Va. Tech and Tex A&M. Both of those losses were on Neutral courts. Best win in non-league. VCU.

Compare to Purdue: Played Gonzaga, Tenn., Marquette, Alabama and Arizona. Purdue was 5-0 in those games.
Had ISU or Houston played that group of teams there is no f'ing way either end up a #1 seed. ISU most likely would have lost all five on neutral courts. Houston probably 1-4 or 2-3. Were Houston and Kansas the only teams playing with injuries? Why would an Iowa football fan defend the Big 12 when they clearly sucked? Also defending the NCAA's greatest cheating program, Kansas? You should have your Hawkeye Card cancelled.

NET rankings had Houston two spots ahead of Purdue because of ?

Now explain to me "what is beyond stupid"?

Last edited:
Forever a victim. I’m sorry your conference underperformed this year. The B1G, at least recently has been blasted for poor tournament performances. Suck it up and take the criticism this year. It’s warranted.

Why do the majority of posters on this site want a change at head coach? Regular season performance? Ehhh, it’s mostly been fine. No it’s the lack of success in March. That’s what’s remembered when all is said and done.

Lucky we do not have to look far to rip the Big 12 this year.. There is a Big difference as far as criticism. We heard the Big 10 sucked ALL season. No way the Big 10 could have been overrated because THEY WERE NOT. Actually performed above what was expected. Big 10 was not great this year. Neither was the Big 12. Just deal with it. NCAA tourney is "put up or shut up" time. Time to shut up.

Stan Van Gundy said it well the other night. I'm paraphrasing now but he said that ISU has adopted the Jerry Sloan style/philosophy of defense that you foul on every possession and that refs won't possibly call every foul. It's a fugly brand of ball, and I hate it. Yeah, they won a lot of games, but man it's not a fun style to watch. We already have football, wrestling, rugby, UFC. Iilk

Kansas wasn't going anywhere in the Tournament this year anyways. Weakest Kansas team in awhile.

Every year Clone fans go on and on about strength of conference based on the tourney. This year it didn’t work out for them so must ignore the results.
Exactly! Whenever B1G teams get bounced early in the tournament we hafta hear from Clown fans and the entire country how overrated and a joke the B1G is, and how we never deserve as many teams that we get in. Now it happens to them and it’s nothing but loser excuses and they’re still the best. Loser fanbase in a soon to be dead loser conference

It isn't fun to watch. Wisconsin did it for years and it was the most boring basketball imaginable. I don't give a crap if it results in success, I wouldn't want it at Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT