ADVERTISEMENT

Big congrats to Iowa Women BB team.....

Crowd was awesome. Game ended and nobody would leave. Players and coaches took a victory lap around Carver floor. 18-0 at Carver for the year. I doubt I ever see that again in my lifetime. Thanks for the memories seniors.

Originally posted by InsHAWK:
Crowd was awesome. Game ended and nobody would leave. Players and coaches took a victory lap around Carver floor. 18-0 at Carver for the year. I doubt I ever see that again in my lifetime. Thanks for the memories seniors.
Awesome job ladies! On to OKC and likely a meeting with Baylor. That will be a challenge! Go Hawks!

18-0 will certainly be tough to match. What a great year for the Hawks, particularly the seniors.

But only 7200 official attendance. Really too bad more fans did not attend. NCAA tournament game and not even half full.

Congrats to the women......watched the game and loved it. The crowd came alive mid 2nd half.

CHA has become a dungeon.....one of the worst venues in college athletics.

Thankfully the women gave the crowd something to finally stand on their feet for.....

Originally posted by FG86:

But only 7200 official attendance. Really too bad more fans did not attend. NCAA tournament game and not even half full.
I think you will find that was a pretty healthy crowd. Only 4600 at Baylor toay vs, Arkansas. One thing about post season games, if the attendence is 7200, there are actually 7200 people in the seats.

Crowd was awesome.  Game ended and nobody would leave.  Players and coaches took a victory lap around Carver floor.        18-0 at  Carver for the year.   I doubt I ever see that again in my lifetime.   Thanks for the memories seniors.  

Were you there?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Iowa will have their hands full with Baylor. Baylor coach Kim Mulkey is an interesting lady, wears some interesting clothes at times too when she coaches.

I think the Iowa coaches and players were delighted with the crowd and I know the Miami coach was impressed.

I think the Iowa coaches and players were delighted with the crowd and I know the Miami coach was impressed.
The Iowa crowd was great. By comparison, the Duke women were on TV yesterday and were playing on their home court as well. It's not much of an exaggeration to say that there might have been about 200 people at that game. The place looked empty.

7200 at a women's game has a much different feel than 7200 at a men's game. With the curtains pulled down blocking off the last 15-20 rows behind the baskets, 7200 really gives the arena a packed look and loud atmosphere. The crowd was great yesterday and that place got pretty loud, especially in the second half.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Great crowd, great support. 7,200 for a 11:00 am tip on a Sunday morning is great support. Feel good for Lisa and her staff, finally got the Sweet 16 monkey off her back. Now, a matchup with a really good Baylor team in OKC.

I wonder how many were at Hilton, or did they play Sunday, or Saturday?

I would guess that Hilton might have had 5-10 custodians in the building on Sat or Sunday. ISU did not host a women's game in this tournament since they were not a top 4 seed. Look at box scores to see which teams played at home before asking stupid question like this.

I'm willing to bet that only UConn and Tennessee had more than Iowa for yesterday's game

Originally posted by bravehawks1:
I would guess that Hilton might have had 5-10 custodians in the building on Sat or Sunday. ISU did not host a women's game in this tournament since they were not a top 4 seed. Look at box scores to see which teams played at home before asking stupid question like this.

I'm willing to bet that only UConn and Tennessee had more than Iowa for yesterday's game
lol Hook. Line. And. Sinker.
This post was edited on 3/23 6:43 PM by BGHAWK

Bonus Princeton fans at MD game. Only a 3 hr. drive to College Park. When your team is undefeated and taking on a 1 seed that close to home, it's a drive worth making.

I hope Hawkeye fans turn out in good numbers on Friday to counteract the Baylor fans! Go Hawks!

7948 at Maryland game.
The Marylanf game was NOT played on Sunday morning, conflicting with church services. It was played in the early evening at a time when people were off work and early enough for kids to attend with school the next day. Their game, unlike Iowa's, was not carried on local TV, they had no assurance that ESPN would not telecast mostly the Ohio State-North Carolina (ACC) instead. Iowa was playing Miami of Florida, a school & fan base close to 2000 miles away (maybe 50 fans attending the game).

Maryland was playing undefeated Princeton, with President Obama (alumnae wife) likely to attend, about 5000 alumni in the Washington area. fan base mostly within a 4 hour drive.

You would be wise to check the comparative attendance over the 35 years since Title IX and the beginning of NCAA women's basketball. Within a few years, Iowa was among the 15 leaders nationally in attendance, and have remained there most of the seasons since, occasionally dropping to around 20th, but never out of the top 25.While living in Bethesda, MD, about a half hour drive from Cole Field House in College Park, I was a season ticket holder for Terrapin & women's hoops: during those years, Driscoll & then Williams had the Maryland men usually in the midst of ACC madness & as a non-Terrapin fan I had no intention of making the large annual contribution necessary to obtain a season ticket. Football tickets you could buy for $5 at Safeway super markets. I was at the game when the Iowa women beat Maryland on their home court some twenty pus years ago, when they were a prennial contender along with Virginia to win the ACC most seasons. There were barely a hundred fans at the game, more of them Iowan fans than Maryland. Terrapin fans have always been frontrunners: sixty years ago they had top football teams, played to full stadia. Then it was men's basketball for thirty years. Now its the women's teams in the national rankings for a decade now.

The population of the Washington metro area is ten times that of Iowa City-Cedar Rapids.But it is a safe bet that most seasons the Hawkeye women's attendance will exceed that of the Terrapins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT