ADVERTISEMENT

Big day in D3 tomorrow

woodsiding

HR All-State
Jan 1, 2012
The Iowa schools are in a region tougher than nationals. Warburg is still loaded, Loras is right there, and everyone else is in a dogfight to qualify a few guys. When they went from qualifying by conference tournaments to regionals it seemed like no big deal. Now they keep expanding the iowa region and its loaded, it's time to split that up. It will be tougher to qualify for nationals than to place once you're there.

The lower Midwest regional with Loras, Wartburg, Coe, Milikin, etc is loaded, but it’s almost always like that. Former Hawk Rathbun will be looking to avenge a loss to Everson from Loras.

157 looks to be a good one with Cannone from Wartburg (ranked first, returning national champ at 149.) Brandon Murray from Loras (ranked 5th, high NAIA placer). Bradan Birt from Milikin (ranked 7th, placed 7th last year, and 2017 Iowa state champ at 132.) And to
round it off Cole Erickson from Coe (ranked #10, 2x AA, and 4x placer from Mediapolis.)

197 will be another good one to watch with two returning all Americans with Jennings from Milikin and 2x AA Patron from Loras. Two other top ten wrestlers in Mehman and Vittal from Coe and North Central. Along with those guys Kobe Woods from Wartburg hasn’t wrestled the best this year but he is a transfer from Purdue who appeared in some duals tomorrow.

It will be a real fun day Saturday and Sunday and will have some real good wrestling.

The lower Midwest regional with Loras, Wartburg, Coe, Milikin, etc is loaded, but it’s almost always like that. Former Hawk Rathbun will be looking to avenge a loss to Everson from Loras.

157 looks to be a good one with Cannone from Wartburg (ranked first, returning national champ at 149.) Brandon Murray from Loras (ranked 5th, high NAIA placer). Bradan Birt from Milikin (ranked 7th, placed 7th last year, and 2017 Iowa state champ at 132.) And to
round it off Cole Erickson from Coe (ranked #10, 2x AA, and 4x placer from Mediapolis.)

197 will be another good one to watch with two returning all Americans with Jennings from Milikin and 2x AA Patron from Loras. Two other top ten wrestlers in Mehman and Vittal from Coe and North Central. Along with those guys Kobe Woods from Wartburg hasn’t wrestled the best this year but he is a transfer from Purdue who appeared in some duals tomorrow.

It will be a real fun day Saturday and Sunday and will have some real good wrestling.
Seems like an effort to give schools other than Wartburg a chance?

What weight is that? According to d3wrestle, only 2 weights (157 and 197) have 4 guys in the top 10; the rest are 3 or less.
I wasn’t sure if that was true or not either because I couldn’t find any rankings that had that many guys ranked. In the preview though that the predicament posted they had 6 guys ranked at 197 so that’s definitely a lot. Not sure about 9 though.

What weight is that? According to d3wrestle, only 2 weights (157 and 197) have 4 guys in the top 10; the rest are 3 or less.

D3 doesn't rank out past 10, so i was misleading.

HWT has 1 ranked , 3 that are "Contenders" (Top 20) and 4 more Honorable Mention (Top 30)
197 has 4 ranked, 2 contenders, and 3 Honorable Mention
157 has 4 ranked and 1 contender

Reactions: WDuck5217
D3 doesn't rank out past 10, so i was misleading.

HWT has 1 ranked , 3 that are "Contenders" (Top 20) and 4 more Honorable Mention (Top 30)
197 has 4 ranked, 2 contenders, and 3 Honorable Mention
157 has 4 ranked and 1 contender

Ah got ya.

Ah got ya.

it's still pretty shoddy how they changed it up, in my opinion. Can you imagine if the Big 10, MAC and Big 12 all had 1 NCAA qualifying tournament, and only top 6 from each weight qualified?

it's still pretty shoddy how they changed it up, in my opinion. Can you imagine if the Big 10, MAC and Big 12 all had 1 NCAA qualifying tournament, and only top 6 from each weight qualified?

Absolutely. If it wrestles to seeds, Coe will finish in third place by a decent margin, and qualify 1. Wartburg usually takes 10 spots. Loras is really tough this year and will get at least 5. That leaves 15 spots for the remaining 16 teams, one bad match and done, no at large.

Difference is when they went to the regions it was still Iowa, plus Augustana, and a few Missouri and Illinois teams that weren't bringing much to compete with. Now those teams are getting tougher. Millikin has 3 returning AA and lost a dual to North Central, both of those schools have good teams. Nebraska Wesleyan has a few kids who could steal a spot. Central has a really good team this year, 9 kids just outside the top 10, probably won't get a qualifier

Ozarks for example has Leroy Gardner coaching them now. His roster is loaded with Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, states that have 0 college programs, and he's getting really good wrestlers from down there and has a few kids who could take a spot.

Reactions: WDuck5217
I guess the MFF bug has hit D3 too. I was looking at the SE Regional and I think saw that there were 4 MFF’s in the finals

They must have done a Friday Saturday tournament because it's a mandatory 2-day tournament now.
Saw Ben Sarasin from Cedar Rapids Kennedy won the 174 bracket for University of Chicago in the upper midwest region.

Reactions: wasdt21
I see Rathbun from Wartburg has three falls heading into the finals and all three are less than 30 seconds if track has it correct in the brackets! I don't care what level your wrestling, that is impressive!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT