ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten/ACC Challenge

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Right now Nebraska is clearly the worst team. Not sure who they are going to beat this year in the conference. They're bad. Even though Michigan lost they had just run the gauntlet of beating 3 top 15 teams. I know we've said this before as well but Wiscy just doesn't look good either. Just 4-4 now I believe. Talent-wise they were just outmatched last night by a decent, but not great NC State team. I think they miss the tourney this year and Penn State takes their place. Agree that OSU and Maryland have the looks of Final Four teams. Michigan clearly very strong as well. Hawks I think can fall anywhere in that 7-10 range in the conference. Bohannon has been huge for us in our last 2 wins. If he goes out after the 9 games, and we know of Pemsl's injury history and also not sure of what's wrong w/Frederick, I think we'll probably end up in the NIT. Tough to go through the B1G gauntlet w/7-8 healthy players. Guess we will see.

99.9% of the time I would agree with you on this. I think that there are more deficiencies on MSU right now than in years past. I think they were really banking on Houser to be there and the NCAA said no. This may not be a typical MSU year.

More likely, Izzo sees this... laughs... buddies up with some refs... beats us by 30... loses 3 games in the Big Ten... gets to the Elite 8.
It was kind of enjoyable to watch Izzo get screwed by the officials. Now maybe he knows how the rest of the league feels, but I doubt it.

Posted in another thread:

The 8-6 W/L record isn't really telling the story here.

All 8 of the BT wins were basically blowouts.

4 of the ACC wins were blowouts (including MSU loss, which even though 'only' a 12 pt loss, they were never in that game)
1 ACC win was close until the end (Pitt/Rutgers) - close meaning <10 pt difference in the waning minutes; Rutgers got within 6 or 7 pts there, but not a nailbiter by any stretch
1 ACC win was basically a tossup (2pt Miami/Illinois); that game was a blowout, but Illinois mounted a major comeback and got within 1 pt with about 1 min left.

BT dominated in every win they had. If you added up the point differentials, the BT outscored the ACC by 91 points. That is a LOT for a mere +2 win differential.

Purdue +29
OSU +25
Penn St +22
Maryland +21
NW +18
MN +18
Indiana +16
Iowa +14

Illinois -2
Rutgers -11
MSU -12
Michigan -15
Wisconsin -15
Nebraska -17

In the past, the BT hasn't had the top-tier teams the ACC has had, but better top/bottom teams overall. This year, it looks like the BT has both.
The Big Ten women won the challenge 9-5, the first time ever in the series, though they actually got outscored by 2 points. Baby steps. Notre Dame being down helped.

Funny how I never see the challenge totals on espn when the B1G is winning it but when the ACC is, it’s all ACC with the challenge being mentioned non stop.
Exactly. They sort of brush over the challenge on their coverage in the years that the B1G wins it. Which is frequently anymore.

Funny how I never see the challenge totals on espn when the B1G is winning it but when the ACC is, it’s all ACC with the challenge being mentioned non stop.

Spot on. Boy when they ACC was dominating the B1G it was mentioned all the time how many straight year and the challenge win totals. In recent years the B1G has dominated and I NEVER hear about it. Had to look it up. After starting out 10-0 ACC the series now stands at 12-6-3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT