Big Ten/ACC Challenge

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hawkeyefan4

Scout Team
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2013
Looking forward to the week ahead in basketball. I read a few people's takes about Syracuse on this thread, but I'm interested in hearing more.

Monday, December 2nd
  • Miami (4-3) @ Illinois (6-1)
  • Clemson (5-2) @ Minnesota (3-4)
Tuesday, December 3rd
  • Iowa (5-2) @ Syracuse (4-3)
  • Northwestern (3-3) @ Boston College (4-4)
  • Michigan (7-0) @ Louisville (7-0)
  • Florida State (7-2) @ Indiana (7-0)
  • Rutgers (6-1) @ Pittsburgh (6-2)
  • Duke (7-1) @ Michigan State (5-2)
Wednesday, December 4th
  • Virginia (7-0) @ Purdue (4-3)
  • Nebraska (4-3) @ Georgia Tech (2-2)
  • Notre Dame (6-1) @ Maryland (8-0)
  • Wake Forest (5-2) @ Penn State (6-1)
  • Wisconsin (4-3) @ NC State (5-2)
  • Ohio State (7-0) @ North Carolina (6-1)

Looking forward to the week ahead in basketball. I read a few people's takes about Syracuse on this thread, but I'm interested in hearing more.

Monday, December 2nd
  • Miami (4-3) @ Illinois (6-1)
  • Clemson (5-2) @ Minnesota (3-4)
Tuesday, December 3rd
  • Iowa (5-2) @ Syracuse (4-3)
  • Northwestern (3-3) @ Boston College (4-4)
  • Michigan (7-0) @ Louisville (7-0)
  • Florida State (7-2) @ Indiana (7-0)
  • Rutgers (6-1) @ Pittsburgh (6-2)
  • Duke (7-1) @ Michigan State (5-2)
Wednesday, December 4th
  • Virginia (7-0) @ Purdue (4-3)
  • Nebraska (4-3) @ Georgia Tech (2-2)
  • Notre Dame (6-1) @ Maryland (8-0)
  • Wake Forest (5-2) @ Penn State (6-1)
  • Wisconsin (4-3) @ NC State (5-2)
  • Ohio State (7-0) @ North Carolina (6-1)
tie goes to vegas? :D

8-6 Big Ten

Illinois
Iowa
Indiana
Michigan State
Rutgers
Maryland
Penn State
Ohio State

I've watched Syracuse a few times this year. They have trouble scoring. Penn St beat them down pretty good over there weekend. I expect Iowa to win that game.

I had it at 7-7 before last night, but had the home teams winning both games. Illini was not ready to play and it cost them. B1G going to need an upset somewhere. I see the ACC going 4-2 tonight. Syracuse, BC, Louisville, Indiana, Pittsburgh and Michigan State. That would make it 5-3. Big Ten would need an upset I think in either the Purdue game or Ohio State game.

Duke putting it to Sparty. It's just unfair how Duke just reloads year after year!
Izzo being Izzo crying to the officials and then he gets T-d up! Duke with 11 blocked shots! Cassius Winston is truly elite!

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Duke putting it to Sparty. It's just unfair how Duke just reloads year after year!
Izzo being Izzo crying to the officials and then he gets T-d up! Duke with 11 blocked shots! Cassius Winston is truly elite!

Izzo got a T? Wow... did he get all the calls after?

MSU isn't clicking yet or they aren't that great. I think it's Maryland, Michigan and Ohio St. at the top.

Spartans are all about the tournament,.. they don't usually jell until right when they need it...

99.9% of the time I would agree with you on this. I think that there are more deficiencies on MSU right now than in years past. I think they were really banking on Houser to be there and the NCAA said no. This may not be a typical MSU year.

More likely, Izzo sees this... laughs... buddies up with some refs... beats us by 30... loses 3 games in the Big Ten... gets to the Elite 8.

99.9% of the time I would agree with you on this. I think that there are more deficiencies on MSU right now than in years past. I think they were really banking on Houser to be there and the NCAA said no. This may not be a typical MSU year.

More likely, Izzo sees this... laughs... buddies up with some refs... beats us by 30... loses 3 games in the Big Ten... gets to the Elite 8.
Lol! The sad part is I have no doubt that this prediction is dead right.

Unfortunately for us Carton has made a huge difference for the Buckeyes. They are for real. As is Maryland. Sparty just isn’t that great. Not sure they have another NBA player besides Winston. Got physically dominated by Duke. Penn St kind of surprising to me. 20 pt win last night as well as a 20 pt win over Cuse, who I know isn’t great.

I thought 8-6 was a real possibility and the BIG got it done. I think the Indiana, Purdue and Ohio State wins we’re huge for the conference against there rated teams. The Big wins the ACC/BIG challenge along with the Gavitt games. This will help get the conference at least 8 teams into the NCAA tourney.

The first week of the season was a disaster for the conference with several me very poor losses. The image of the conference was not good. The last two weeks with Gavitt games, holiday tournaments and the ACC challenge the conference now is viewed as one of the two top conferences heading into conference play. This will allow us a lot of chances to get Quad one wins.

Nobody is talking about PSU, but I think they will surprise. Stephens and Watkins are veteran guys and Chambers added some really quick guards. They are deep and athletic and aren't just their starting 5 and cast of odds and ends he has had in the past.

B1G looking like a real dogfight. sparty has not looked good, but I wouldn't count them out when conference play starts. tosu and terps have the horses to win the league and challenge for a FF spot. I think um might come back to earth a bit after their hot start, but wouldn't count them out for the title. The middle of the conference will be quite a scrum as well.
The only really completely hapless bunch appears to be debbie. I think Fred can get things righted there eventually. Just not seeing it happening this year

I expected MSU to be clearly the best team in the B1G, and they will come around, but Mary Land and OSU look great. I see those three at the top. There is a second grouping of as many as eight teams--UM, Purdon't, IU, Iowa, PSU, Minny, Wisky (which has been surprising bad so far) and maybe Illannoy (which has sucked so far, but has talent) in the middle. I don't see the Mildcats, Rutgers or Huskers winning many conference games. It is possible that the middle group will divide into a couple of groups, depending on injuries, luck, and how teams come together.

I thought Hoyburger would garner a better stable of transfers, misfits ne'er do wells such that he would be competitive his first year. Looks like a losing team to me right now.

I thought 8-6 was a real possibility and the BIG got it done.

Posted in another thread:

The 8-6 W/L record isn't really telling the story here.

All 8 of the BT wins were basically blowouts.

4 of the ACC wins were blowouts (including MSU loss, which even though 'only' a 12 pt loss, they were never in that game)
1 ACC win was close until the end (Pitt/Rutgers) - close meaning <10 pt difference in the waning minutes; Rutgers got within 6 or 7 pts there, but not a nailbiter by any stretch
1 ACC win was basically a tossup (2pt Miami/Illinois); that game was a blowout, but Illinois mounted a major comeback and got within 1 pt with about 1 min left.

BT dominated in every win they had. If you added up the point differentials, the BT outscored the ACC by 91 points. That is a LOT for a mere +2 win differential.

Purdue +29
OSU +25
Penn St +22
Maryland +21
NW +18
MN +18
Indiana +16
Iowa +14

Illinois -2
Rutgers -11
MSU -12
Michigan -15
Wisconsin -15
Nebraska -17

In the past, the BT hasn't had the top-tier teams the ACC has had, but better top/bottom teams overall. This year, it looks like the BT has both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT