ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Allocations and Seeding Predictions

i chuckle at this line from BSD re: 133:
This weight likely gets seeded to the full 14 spots. That doesn't guarantee the top 2 seeds receive a bye in the opening round (or, more specifically, that Jordan Conaway gets to face the conference's weakest link) - but it would make sense.

That is exactly what seeding to 14 does...guarantees the top two get byes...

Seeding to 8 is where you get the random draws and no guarantee to bye if you're #1 or #2...

i chuckle at this line from BSD re: 133:
This weight likely gets seeded to the full 14 spots. That doesn't guarantee the top 2 seeds receive a bye in the opening round (or, more specifically, that Jordan Conaway gets to face the conference's weakest link) - but it would make sense.

That is exactly what seeding to 14 does...guarantees the top two get byes...

Seeding to 8 is where you get the random draws and no guarantee to bye if you're #1 or #2...

Also I would put the chances of Tshirt getting the 7th seed somewhere around 0 he beat the guys he has seeded 4th and 5th, not to mention hes the defending champ, 2 time aa, and national champ.He will get the 4 or 5.. Book it!!!!

Big Ten allocations way down from last year (86 to 71), I guess that helps solidify the relative weakness of the conference this year compared to years past. 71 allocations is slightly lower than the level the conference was achieving in 2012-2014 when there was 12 teams in the league.

Thank MSU, Maryland and Northwestern for that. They are all having extremely down years.

Does Big10 seeding take into account all Big10 matches in their records? For example, does Big10 record for seeding purposes only apply to matches against Big10 tourney opponents, or are matches against back-ups counted in record for seeding? Are forfeits counted in the Big10 records? Some of the seeding for these weights could vary drastically depending on the criteria.

141 is a wide open weight, so seeding could be all over the place depending on criteria. For example:
BHGP has Gulibon #4 with a 4-2 Big10 record. BSD has Gulibon seeded #7. According to trackwrestling, Gulibon's record against Big10 opponents is actually 3-3 (or 4-3 if forfeit included). He lost to Gasca (MSA), Hall (Mich) and Jordan (OSU). His wins are against Jodeh (ILL), Fisher (Mich), and Van Hook (Ind). Is Fisher or Hall going to wrestle Big10 for Michigan? Is Van Hook or Cash going to wrestle Big10 for Indiana? Assuming Hall and Cash wrestle Big10s, that makes Gulibon 1-3 versus Big10 wrestlers in the tourney. Based on that record, it seems like he could drop as low as 11th seed instead of 4th as predicted by BGHP. I think the BSD prediction of #7 for Gulibon is probably more realistic.

If they seed primarily based upon Big10 record against opponents in the Big10 tourney and don't penalize wrestlers for having few matches, then you could potentially see Grothus as high as #6 seed, with Gulibon as low as #11. That would match them up first round.

There could be a lot of controversial seeding for Big10s this year given the lack of head-to-head matchups for so many wrestlers. Plus fewer NCAA allocations for Big10s this year make seeding more important.

It's been a while but this is the worst year they have had in a very long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT