ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Network Bus Tour in Iowa City today, Aug 15. First airing of their show from practice will be at 7 pm CT on Aug 16

Seems like this was done before last week and kids day as they mention scrimmage the next day so not sure any qb put distance on the other or optimism that the passing game to wr's will be see major strides, te's will get their stats and lets hope the o-line has improved and the running game clicks.

Seems like this was done before last week and kids day as they mention scrimmage the next day so not sure any qb put distance on the other or optimism that the passing game to wr's will be see major strides, te's will get their stats and lets hope the o-line has improved and the running game clicks.
They have a scrimmage today. That’s the scrimmage they are referring to.

KF and Lester said Cade has had good week of practice (since Kid’s day,) but it’s a close competition. That is consistent with what a couple of podcasts have suggested this week.

The OL allegedly looked good, and has all camp. As has the running game.

Reactions: Bloody Run Hawk
full text of tweet:

In the QB battle, Iowa OC Tim Lester loves watching 2s vs. 1s.

“I love a quarterback that can take the 2s with technically inferior athletes and find a way to get first downs against the 1s; make the people around you better. … We’ve done that a little bit just to see who can handle themselves.”

Reading between the lines of the other quotes, and this, I think the coaches are
leaning Sullivan due to upside, but are giving Cade the benefit of the doubt due to experience, recovering from injury and leadership. And, promises made when they pursued him in the portal.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing that this isn’t settled. At this point last year, Cade had the job wrapped up, despite tweaking something in fall camp, because NOBODY ELSE could challenge him despite him clearly being hampered. Now, he’s as healthy as he’s been in a long time, but we have a guy that’s pushing him hard and might just be better. Having QB play better than Deacon last year is a low bar, but if it can also be better than it was through 4 games last year (where we were 82nd in the country in off. efficiency), then that leaves me feeling pretty good.

The main thing I got is that they think the offense will be improved, if for no other reason than the O line is better and the run game will improve as a result. They don't sound enthused about the passing game, but it's still an improvement.

Reactions: kceasthawk
They have a scrimmage today. That’s the scrimmage they are referring to.

KF and Lester said Cade has had good week of practice (since Kid’s day,) but it’s a close competition. That is consistent with what a couple of podcasts have suggested this week.

The OL allegedly looked good, and has all camp. As has the running game.
Cool thanks for info as was on laptop and trying to watch the big special on tv

D
Like every year. In the end they said it's still a team built on solid defense and special teams. That's not going to change. Can the offense get a pulse? We'll see.
Maybe we need to remind the rest of the world, defense wins championships. Yeah we need to be able to move the ball, but we only need to move it more then we allow it to be moved. (I know in stats that does not always work out, but you know what I mean.)

Reactions: kceasthawk
As most of us could infer - a big weakness of the O will be that we're simply just really young on the outside at WR.

The Hawks have traditionally been "hurt" on O due to inconsistency at WR ... particularly as it relates to regularly getting open AND catching the ball when they're delivered decent balls.

Part of what led to the proverbial "wheels coming off" of the O over the past few years were the following crises:
  • inconsistent QB play ... either due to inherent limitations (big Deac) OR due to regressive development attributable to poor pass-pro and too much being heaped on the QB (Petras)
  • opposing Ds "learned" what Brian was doing
  • too many top guys on the O getting injured (key guys on the OL, both Lachey and All going down last year, QB injuries, etc)
  • the offensive players lost faith in Brian
I expect that Iowa's O will be a "work-in-progress" through a big hunk of the season. Part of that is attributable to the following reasons:
  • new scheme
  • inexperience/inconsistency at WR
  • "newness" of Iowa's QBs within the new scheme
However, I also expect that Iowa's O will improve through each and every week (assuming we can benefit from some personnel continuity ... knock on wood). The O may end up being a throw back to something like the 2003 season ... or like the 2013 season.

I do feel as though the O will be "more of a friend" to the D than it's been over the prior few seasons. Heck, if you even look back to last season ... when Cade wasn't hobbling ... our O seemed to have some flashes.

As most of us could infer - a big weakness of the O will be that we're simply just really young on the outside at WR.

The Hawks have traditionally been "hurt" on O due to inconsistency at WR ... particularly as it relates to regularly getting open AND catching the ball when they're delivered decent balls.

Part of what led to the proverbial "wheels coming off" of the O over the past few years were the following crises:
  • inconsistent QB play ... either due to inherent limitations (big Deac) OR due to regressive development attributable to poor pass-pro and too much being heaped on the QB (Petras)
  • opposing Ds "learned" what Brian was doing
  • too many top guys on the O getting injured (key guys on the OL, both Lachey and All going down last year, QB injuries, etc)
  • the offensive players lost faith in Brian
I expect that Iowa's O will be a "work-in-progress" through a big hunk of the season. Part of that is attributable to the following reasons:
  • new scheme
  • inexperience/inconsistency at WR
  • "newness" of Iowa's QBs within the new scheme
However, I also expect that Iowa's O will improve through each and every week (assuming we can benefit from some personnel continuity ... knock on wood). The O may end up being a throw back to something like the 2003 season ... or like the 2013 season.

I do feel as though the O will be "more of a friend" to the D than it's been over the prior few seasons. Heck, if you even look back to last season ... when Cade wasn't hobbling ... our O seemed to have some flashes.
No, basically we suck at offense because our OL play has been sub standard. Our wr recruiting was never thought of. Our QB positions was always based on what 1 guy could do, so zero depth or competition. Remember the days when 7 got 6? If we had that with good OL play and the TE room we have, we would be alright. Man I remember watching that fade pass and thinking, it is almost not defendable (without drawing a flag). 1 throw and one wr and it changed many a game. (which is what got my hopes up with the new OC and putting someone with the speed of Wetjen in there catching balls. Drop a fade into his arms while he is in a full run and he is gone gone gone.

Last edited:
The commentator Ashley mistakenly said Jay Higgins has a chance to be the all-time NCAA tackler (*since official stats started in 2000) --she obviously meant Nick Jackson, thanks to playing his 6th season this year.
I noticed that too and thought it was funny. Dudes only played one full season, so I knew she got him confused with Jackson. Still liked her being in the group. Kind of a breath of fresh air and she was kind of the moderator for the old guys...

Observations:

DiNardo respects the program and the KFz method. Always has.
Phil is one of the best in the business. We're lucky to have him.
The biggest question mark on the D is the backfield. DeJean is a bigger loss than most realize.
KFz looked and sounded noticeably older.
Jackson and Higgins are as smart as they are athletic. Two great guys to anchor your D
The OL is improving (thank god)
QB situation isn't good.
Almost no mention of skill players (WR/RB) outside of Lachey...which is telling.
Lester is a good coach, but he was handed a shit show with limited talent. Only so far you can take it in the short term.

The offense isn't going to be much better. Don't expect 10-2 again.
I'd be willing to bet we do go 10-2. If we can run the ball, (and I think we will) then with the TE's and ANY WR production we'll be somewhat better on O. The D will be formidable.....

Reactions: BonzoFury
One of Kirk’s best hires post original staff was Soup

Iowa had lots of issues with WR drops. We all remember Tate blowing up at his WRs (and KOK).

Soup came on and we had a great run of really productive WR.

Even under GDGD we had decent WR which helped out Stanley as GDBF took over.

McNutt
DJK
KMM
K. Davis
MVB
ISM
B. Smith

Might be missing one or two, but compare what we’ve had since 2021….and it’s not even close.

Won't be worse than the year that the analysts nicely said the offense sucked ass when they should have accurately been much harsher about how bad the offense actually sucked.
That was 2022. The group discussing Iowa's offense was about as awkward as DeShaun Foster's opening remarks at media days.

Oh, thank God! If there's anything that is comforting when I'm concerned about Iowa's passing game, it's KF letting me know that the QB had a good week of practice....
At Kid’s day he said what we saw during the open practice was what they had seen the first week of camp.

Maybe he’s lying, but it sure beats the hell put of what Kirk said last week, which was, yeah he has sucked ass.

Considering the guys who cover Iowa heard he had good week, Kirk and Tim said he had a good, and the BTN crew didn’t act like Iowa is fvcked, it seems plausible he had a week.

I’d much prefer evidence in a game, but at this point, this is as good as we can hope for.

D

Maybe we need to remind the rest of the world, defense wins championships. Yeah we need to be able to move the ball, but we only need to move it more then we allow it to be moved. (I know in stats that does not always work out, but you know what I mean.)
Not defense alone...

Not defense alone...
Yeah defense wins championships but you do have to score to actually win a game

Iowa scored 0 against their best competition.

Guess we could just go all in and expect that the defense and special teams will pick up the scoring and our offense exists to punt / flip the field

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT