ADVERTISEMENT

Big12 TV dollar figures would be “very, very low”

Mountain Man Hawk

HB Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
I saw this quote in an Athletic article on why Texas and OU are leaving. Does anyone have any insight why the Big12 was going to take such a step back in terms of TV revenues?

Obviously the recent deals for the Big10 and the SEC were very high. And I constantly see people throw out that having high population states no longer matters because of cord cutting and as a result the Big10 would never offer Rutgers if they were doing things today, etc.

I wouldn’t have expected the Big12 deal to be as big as the Big10 or SEC but I also wouldn’t have expected them to get an extreme low ball offer. Does anyone know why that would be? What is worse for the Big12 compared to the last time they negotiated a TV deal?

Here is the quote I’m talking about

The Big 12’s television contracts with ESPN and Fox expire after the 2024-25 season. The league was informed this spring through the TV consultant it hired that neither network was ready to discuss a new deal, and a source told The Athletic that the preliminary figures for the Big 12 rights were “very, very low.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News