ADVERTISEMENT

Bigger acquisition Texas/Oklahoma or USC/UCLA

Bigger acquisition

• Total voters
Good moves for both conferences, in my opinion.

My concern is distance traveled for some sporting events. Gymnastics, swimming, volleyball, bsaeball etc. teams will have to fly out to Los Angeles for road contests. But I suppose the TV money will cover that easily from athletic department coffers.

Reactions: littlez
With NIL, it's very interesting that the B1G now has 'home court' advantage with the two media centers in the US - NY and LA. USC could end up being HUGE(!!) if they're able to leverage their access to late night talk shows etc. to raise the NIL of their student athletes.

The bolded would be why people in California are upset. Instead of seeing the move as them going to the premier academic and athletic conference, they see it as joining a bunch of Midwestern schools. The anger comes from seeing everything through the lenses of personal politics.

The PAC likes to make others believe they cared about academics, but they really didn’t. USC and UCLA were two schools that really held that conference up academically. The BIG actually cares about academics. Adding these two schools, was huge for the BIG who is already considered the best conference academically.

With all the NIL money that’s going to be floating around, Junior will be able to pay for family to fly 2,000 miles to see him play a couple times a year. Not to mention still getting to see them play in home games.
Cal and Stanford might laugh at that. Washington is no slouch either.

This is kind of a tough one. Gonna talk mainly FB since that is the driver.

The LA market is huge but not as passionate. Lots of alumni are out there from the BIG. USC tradition is better than TX and OU but UCLA is a clear 4th.

UCLA obviously the clear leader for BB tradition and probably best academics.

I think in the end, the BIG10 is going to get the better deal considering how college FB is progressing.

This is kind of a tough one. Gonna talk mainly FB since that is the driver.

The LA market is huge but not as passionate. Lots of alumni are out there from the BIG. USC tradition is better than TX and OU but UCLA is a clear 4th.

UCLA obviously the clear leader for BB tradition and probably best academics.

I think in the end, the BIG10 is going to get the better deal considering how college FB is progressing.
Saw a statistic that surprised me. The USC-UCLA football game this year was the same day as Texas Tech-Okie State. The latter game had more viewers.

Reactions: Obadiah Plainman
Saw a statistic that surprised me. The USC-UCLA football game this year was the same day as Texas Tech-Okie State. The latter game had more viewers.
Okay but what time of day and on what channel and who were each up against in their time slots?

Big Ten fans would watch a Big 12 game over a PAC game. But now that they are in Big Ten who do you think Big Ten fans will watch?

Reactions: kceasthawk and Ree4
USC is a national brand. When USC is good everyone is watching. We need Lincoln Riley to make them relevant again. And I think he will pretty quickly. He's already getting the skill players, obviously will need to make them much more physical on both lines. UCLA I just don't know. Man as a kid growing up and watching that USC-UCLA game w/the cheerleaders, the great colors, etc. it was just different. I know there's a ton to do in LA but averaging under 50K just really sucks to be honest. However, think how many fans will travel to those games? It's like the Raiders when they moved to Vegas. I'm guessing at least 15-20K Iowa fans would attend at either of those stadiums. And that could be underestimating. OSU, Michigan, Penn State could be upwards of 30K. Will be a huge shot in the arm for them attendance wise.

USC is a national brand. When USC is good everyone is watching. We need Lincoln Riley to make them relevant again. And I think he will pretty quickly. He's already getting the skill players, obviously will need to make them much more physical on both lines. UCLA I just don't know. Man as a kid growing up and watching that USC-UCLA game w/the cheerleaders, the great colors, etc. it was just different. I know there's a ton to do in LA but averaging under 50K just really sucks to be honest. However, think how many fans will travel to those games? It's like the Raiders when they moved to Vegas. I'm guessing at least 15-20K Iowa fans would attend at either of those stadiums. And that could be underestimating. OSU, Michigan, Penn State could be upwards of 30K. Will be a huge shot in the arm for them attendance wise.
USC and UCLA will pick up Big Ten viewers now that in conference. So past viewership would be understating future viewership.

Reactions: Ree4 and bowlhawk
Ok, so I asked this before. If its all about this, then why is Oklahoma such a draw? Dust bowl area well down in any TV draw.......
Good question. Also , what if Oklahoma declines after their HC left for USC? In a strange twist. Did The B1G get the real Oklahoma?

Good question. Also , what if Oklahoma declines after their HC left for USC? In a strange twist. Did The B1G get the real Oklahoma?
It isn't just the coach situation. They'll be playing a tougher schedule most years, depending upon how the divisions work out.

It's difficult for me to believe OU football will decline permanently -- or Texas football, for that matter -- but I didn't think it would happen at Nebraska, either.

The teams that played in the Big XII championship game two years ago are currently tied for last place in the league.

This. many just look at the athletic-academic sides of a program but the mind-boggling TV money is also looked at. With the Los Angeles market added, the B1G now have the 4 biggest TV markets in the country in their footprint and a ton of others in the top 35 or so - by far more than any other conference. Here's a link that lists the top TV markets

This and the way they can now own the entire day of the CFB landscape. They can place great matchups at 4 different time slots through the day.

Reactions: littlez
I think the Nebraska brass are the only people who think sticking it out in the Big Ten is still worth it, just because of the money and their desperate desire to cling to their waning relevance.

Even their own fans are about ready to be done with the Big Ten. And in all honesty, I think the best move they could make right now, is to slide back over to the Big 12, even though they risk finding out the hard way just how much clout they've lost since their glory days.

Once Texas and Oklahoma leave, that will put the new Big 12 up for grabs and would be the perfect opportunity for a school like Nebraska to capitalize, if they still cared about that (which as we've established, those in charge in Lincoln do not anymore, deep down).

Oh and for those wondering, the Big 12 can easily fill in another school, or several if the Pac 12 outcasts come calling, in order to even out their numbers.

Nebraska leaving would also allow Notre Dame to come into the Big Ten without forcing the conference to get even more crowded by adding another team to make it 18 or 20 or whatever it's gonna be once this nonsense with the Pac 12 is done.

(but really the main thing is we need to trade Nebraska for Notre Dame ;) )
Leaving $100MM annually from B1G for sad B12 money would be a terrible move. Leaving that kind of money on the table isn’t capitalizing on anything. The B12 is effectively dead and/or low rung.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT