ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Belichick interviews with Atlanta Falcons for coaching job

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Bill Belichick, who parted ways with the New England Patriots last week after coaching them to six Super Bowl triumphs over 24 seasons, interviewed with the Atlanta Falcons for their coaching vacancy.
The Falcons announced the interview Monday without providing further details. It is the first known interview for Belichick, 71, since he left the Patriots on Thursday through what he and team owner Robert Kraft called mutual agreement.

It also is the most concrete sign that Belichick intends to continue coaching. He did not say that explicitly during a news conference alongside Kraft last week in which he did not take questions. But Kraft hinted that Belichick would keep coaching, saying that he wished Belichick continued success except when he faces the Patriots.

Kraft said he would not attempt to receive draft-pick compensation from any other NFL team interested in hiring Belichick, whose contract with the Patriots reportedly was to run through next season, in what would have amounted to a trade. Belichick had earned the right to leave the organization without being encumbered in that way, Kraft said.

The Falcons are searching for a replacement for Arthur Smith, who was fired following a third straight 7-10 season. Some people within the league have expressed the belief that Falcons owner Arthur Blank will make a strong push to hire Belichick.
Belichick has 333 career coaching victories, including postseason games. That puts him 14 shy of Don Shula’s record.
Bill Belichick’s next job? Here are the potential destinations.
Belichick also could be a candidate for the Dallas Cowboys if their owner, Jerry Jones, fires Mike McCarthy following Sunday’s loss at home to the Green Bay Packers in the opening round of the NFC playoffs. McCarthy has coached the Cowboys to three straight 12-victory regular seasons but has a postseason record of 1-3 with the team. Jones called Sunday’s defeat the most painful playoff loss of his Cowboys ownership tenure. He deflected questions about McCarthy’s job status, saying that he hadn’t given any thought to coaching issues.

Mike Vrabel, a former NFL coach of the year surprisingly fired last week by the Tennessee Titans, also could be a candidate for the Cowboys if Jones dismisses McCarthy.

The Falcons are among seven NFL teams searching for new coaches along with the Las Vegas Raiders, Carolina Panthers, Los Angeles Chargers, Washington Commanders, Titans and Seattle Seahawks.

Reactions: LuteHawk
That owner may be really good at a lot of things but he is terrible at hiring head coaches. He should write down who he wants to hire and then pay a smart football person to go find someone who can actually succeed.

I respect Bill Belichick as a football coach and his 6 Super
Bowl Championships. However, he is going to be 72 yrs old
in April. He has nothing to prove at this point in his career.
I hope that he retires and enjoys the rest of his years on this
earth.

Reactions: TennNole17
That owner may be really good at a lot of things but he is terrible at hiring head coaches. He should write down who he wants to hire and then pay a smart football person to go find someone who can actually succeed.
Two of them went to Super Bowls, didn't they? Reves and Quinn, I believe.

Reactions: srams21
In the case of the Falcons, I would ask, "what is your plan at QB?" "do you think Brady would want to come back for a year or two?"

I get the impression Brady wouldn't want to play with Belichek even if he wanted to play some more.

I was joking about Brady but he would have to come up with a plan for QB.

You would think he would go to a team with a QB where he can use his influence to make the defense better.

Of course this year is interesting because there are several proven coaches on the market now. Belichek, Carroll and possibly Jim Harbaugh.

If I were him I would have considered retiring instead of trying to coach the Falcons with no quarterback.

Most people are still calling him the greatest coach of all time. If he burns out with the Falcons that image could change and a lot of people might just start saying that it was all Tom Brady.

Based on Bellicheat’s record, records of multiple former Patriots assistants and Brady winning a Super Bowl in Tampa, it is hard to say that it wasn’t all Brady.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT