ADVERTISEMENT

Bill would penalize Iowa landowners who sell property for public use

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Proposed legislation that was advanced by an Iowa Senate subcommittee last week would limit the amount of money the state and its counties could pay for timber, pasture and cropland to use for public parks and other amenities.

Opponents of Senate Study Bill 3134 said it would diminish the ability of county conservation boards and the Iowa Department of Natural Resources to acquire land. That’s because residents would receive much less than market value for their land and would, in some cases, be precluded from state income tax relief that is normally tied to that loss of value.

Fred Long, president of the Iowa Conservation Alliance, opposed the bill and said people should be able to sell their land as they wish.

“This is the United States of America, a free country,” Long said during Thursday the Natural Resources and Environment subcommittee hearing.

The bill limits the Iowa DNR and counties to spending between 60 and 80 percent of the land’s value, as estimated by a biannual land value survey compiled by the REALTORS Land Institute-Iowa Chapter. The percentage is dictated by the quality of the land, with the highest quality commanding the steepest discount.

Kate Narveson, who said she owns farmland in Winneshiek County, wrote in an online comment about the bill: “One thing I care about is the quality of water and wildlife habitat in my area, and my husband and I have considered donating our land for conservation. This bill would take away our right to do so.”

Numerous other landowners, conservationists and county officials spoke against the bill, which is similar to a proposal in 2019 that would have severely restricted public lands acquisition and eliminated a tax credit for land donations. That bill did not make it out of the subcommittee.

More than 60 people submitted online comments against the bill.

Sen. Mike Klimesh, R-Spillville, who is not a member of the subcommittee, pushed back against the bill’s detractors.

“I heard a lot of folks talk about private property rights,” he said. “The way I understand the bill, it doesn’t affect the private property rights of an individual to sell their ground back to the county conservation boards or the DNR. What I haven’t heard in the conversation is the private property rights of an Iowa citizen who wishes to acquire ground who has to go up against organizations” with deeper pockets.

No lobbyist has declared support for the bill.

The Iowa Farm Bureau was the only group to speak publicly in favor of the 2019 bill, the Des Moines Register reported at the time. A spokesperson for the group did not immediately respond to a request to comment on the new legislation for this article.

It’s unclear when the bill might be considered by the Senate’s full Natural Resources and Environment Committee.

Committee member Sen. Claire Celsi, D-West Des Moines, who was not on the subcommittee, said: “We ought to be protecting Iowa land, water and everything else to do with it, not putting forward bills that will limit the rights of Iowans to put their land in conservation, should they so choose. … This is a misplaced intent, whatever it is. When I read it today, my mouth basically fell open.”

Rich Leopold, director of Polk County Conservation, did not attend the hearing but said such a law would severely damage the county’s efforts to set aside land for public use before it is developed as the Des Moines metro area grows.

“Many times, it’s farmers who have a legacy,” Leopold said. “He got it from his dad or his grandpa and doesn’t want to see it go into a strip mall or a housing development.”

This article first appeared in the Iowa Capital Digest.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
On one hand I don’t like the government owning as much land as it does already. On the other I like public spaces.
Who do I argue with now?

Proposed legislation that was advanced by an Iowa Senate subcommittee last week would limit the amount of money the state and its counties could pay for timber, pasture and cropland to use for public parks and other amenities.

Opponents of Senate Study Bill 3134 said it would diminish the ability of county conservation boards and the Iowa Department of Natural Resources to acquire land. That’s because residents would receive much less than market value for their land and would, in some cases, be precluded from state income tax relief that is normally tied to that loss of value.

Fred Long, president of the Iowa Conservation Alliance, opposed the bill and said people should be able to sell their land as they wish.

“This is the United States of America, a free country,” Long said during Thursday the Natural Resources and Environment subcommittee hearing.

The bill limits the Iowa DNR and counties to spending between 60 and 80 percent of the land’s value, as estimated by a biannual land value survey compiled by the REALTORS Land Institute-Iowa Chapter. The percentage is dictated by the quality of the land, with the highest quality commanding the steepest discount.

Kate Narveson, who said she owns farmland in Winneshiek County, wrote in an online comment about the bill: “One thing I care about is the quality of water and wildlife habitat in my area, and my husband and I have considered donating our land for conservation. This bill would take away our right to do so.”

Numerous other landowners, conservationists and county officials spoke against the bill, which is similar to a proposal in 2019 that would have severely restricted public lands acquisition and eliminated a tax credit for land donations. That bill did not make it out of the subcommittee.

More than 60 people submitted online comments against the bill.

Sen. Mike Klimesh, R-Spillville, who is not a member of the subcommittee, pushed back against the bill’s detractors.

“I heard a lot of folks talk about private property rights,” he said. “The way I understand the bill, it doesn’t affect the private property rights of an individual to sell their ground back to the county conservation boards or the DNR. What I haven’t heard in the conversation is the private property rights of an Iowa citizen who wishes to acquire ground who has to go up against organizations” with deeper pockets.

No lobbyist has declared support for the bill.

The Iowa Farm Bureau was the only group to speak publicly in favor of the 2019 bill, the Des Moines Register reported at the time. A spokesperson for the group did not immediately respond to a request to comment on the new legislation for this article.

It’s unclear when the bill might be considered by the Senate’s full Natural Resources and Environment Committee.

Committee member Sen. Claire Celsi, D-West Des Moines, who was not on the subcommittee, said: “We ought to be protecting Iowa land, water and everything else to do with it, not putting forward bills that will limit the rights of Iowans to put their land in conservation, should they so choose. … This is a misplaced intent, whatever it is. When I read it today, my mouth basically fell open.”

Rich Leopold, director of Polk County Conservation, did not attend the hearing but said such a law would severely damage the county’s efforts to set aside land for public use before it is developed as the Des Moines metro area grows.

“Many times, it’s farmers who have a legacy,” Leopold said. “He got it from his dad or his grandpa and doesn’t want to see it go into a strip mall or a housing development.”

This article first appeared in the Iowa Capital Digest.
What is wrong with these people?!

And why do we suddenly seem to have so many of them in America?

Reactions: HawkMD
On one hand I don’t like the government owning as much land as it does already. On the other I like public spaces.
Who do I argue with now?
If you think of the government as representing the people, then the land is being owned by and protected for the people - as opposed to being exploited and polluted by private interests.

Does that help?

The key is to make sure that we elect folks who are good stewards.

When the state buys land, you get to use and enjoy it. Otherwise it gets flattened, tiled and turned into more crop land.
Take take take. Never known our government to not take.

I would love to buy some land and start a hobby farm. Doesn't seem possible at > $10,000 acre. Taking land off the market does not seem to help.

Either way. More land for cities dwellers to enjoy is good.

Last edited:
Buying (not just taking) land to protect it for the people of Iowa isn't the same as taking and pocketing it.

If you aren't happy with how the gov't is protecting the land, elect better people.

If you aren't happy with how private enterprise is exploiting the land, what are your options?

Reactions: cigaretteman
“What I haven’t heard in the conversation is the private property rights of an Iowa citizen who wishes to acquire ground who has to go up against organizations with deeper pockets.”

This was said…by a Republican.

The world has turned upside down. Now Republicans are against free markets? And, I love how he says it is a “property right” for an individual to pay less than market rate.

Is there anyone with a modicum of intelligence left in the GOP? It is crap like this that makes me an independent.

Who do I argue with now?
Iowa has the least amount of publicly owned land in the entire country. It really needs to acquire some large tracks (several thousand acres) of contiguous land to restore for public use. Screw the "bison bridge." How much cooler would it be to buy 10,000 acres for bison and elk to roam instead? Space for separate mountain biking, horseback riding, and atv trails? How about a hike-in backpacking/camping area a couple miles from the nearest road for a wilderness experience? That's the kind of amenities that attracts companies and people to move there.

Iowa has the least amount of publicly owned land in the entire country. It really needs to acquire some large tracks (several thousand acres) of contiguous land to restore for public use. Screw the "bison bridge." How much cooler would it be to buy 10,000 acres for bison and elk to roam instead? Space for separate mountain biking, horseback riding, and atv trails? How about a hike-in backpacking/camping area a couple miles from the nearest road for a wilderness experience? That's the kind of amenities that attracts companies and people to move there.

But where would you plant corn?

I would love it if Iowa just simply purchased buffer land, or offered real incentives for private buffer land (with granted public access as a contingency) to clean our waterways,improve our wildlife habitat, and created some great natural landscapes.

But THAT is different! That is Chinese capitalism!
Exactly. well if the Iowa GOP wanted my support on something they could at least end this in our state. According to some articles foreign organizations/countries have an interest in like 30 million + acres. Tax the heck out of farmers that sell to them, and or make it illegal to farm on land owned in such a manner, something.

This is a big problem….do something about it….

This one is easy...if the IFB is in favor of something, it's probably bad for the majority of Iowans.

The IFB is the very definition of a "special interest group".

Last edited:
When the state buys land, you get to use and enjoy it. Otherwise it gets flattened, tiled and turned into more crop land.
That creates food, fuel, jobs and tax revenue.

Guess I’m old enough to remember one time way back when (2 years ago) that the state just up and decided citizens couldn’t use state parks. Can’t sit here. Can’t sit here neither.

Been saying for a long time how horrific Iowa is under full GQP control.
This shouldn't be a Rep or Dem thing. This should be vote for the person that best represents your beliefs and opinions. It should be who is going to bust their ass for the public they represent instead of vote for my name or party. Both parties suck at times and they are ruining everything.

So...let me see if I understand this. The Iowa GOP wants to prevent the govt from buying land at market rates so they can force the price of land down and regular folk can buy it. Is that about it?

But when the price of corn goes down, they want the govt to come in and BUY it so it's more expensive for regular folk.

giphy.gif

I would love to buy some land and start a hobby farm. Doesn't seem possible at > $10,000 acre. Taking land off the market does not seem to help.

Either way. More land for cities dwellers to enjoy is good.
The way these suburbs of Des Moines are growing, there has been considerable cropland lost. I kind of wish they were growing up instead of out. :)

Reactions: CO_hawk
No good ideas??? You've clearly not heard of their idea about bringing crossbow training to schools. Because that's exactly what kids need to be learning in 2022.

I'm expecting the Iowa Republicans to soon introduce a bill that requires 'Hunter's Education' classes to now include sections on his laptop and relationship with Ukraine.

As I have said many times, including the thread I started about Iowa’s still unfunded 5/8 sales tax kitty. Our parks suck. They are small and infrequently spaced. Iowa should have funded that right away and started adding parcels around existing parks, and buying new properties in sensitive areas.

Exactly. well if the Iowa GOP wanted my support on something they could at least end this in our state. According to some articles foreign organizations/countries have an interest in like 30 million + acres. Tax the heck out of farmers that sell to them, and or make it illegal to farm on land owned in such a manner, something.

This is a big problem….do something about it….
Convince TYhe Farm Bureau it is a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT