ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Knight, at last, comes home to an Indiana basketball game

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
imrs.php

Bob Knight appeared on the Assembly Hall court with Isiah Thomas, right, and other members of Knight’s 1980 Big Ten championship team. (Justin Casterline/AFP/Getty Images)

By
John Feinstein
Columnist
Feb. 8, 2020 at 1:09 p.m. CST

The prodigal son has returned home to Bloomington, Ind.

It has been almost 20 years since Bob Knight set foot inside Assembly Hall for a basketball game. But Saturday afternoon, when Indiana hosted Purdue and celebrated the 40th anniversary of Knight’s 1980 Big Ten championship team before falling to the Boilermakers, 74-62, the old coach was finally back in the kingdom he had ruled for 29 years.

Even when the school previously celebrated his three national championship teams, he wouldn’t come back to hear the cheers. The man who fired him, Myles Brand, died of cancer in 2009. Knight still refused to go back. Three years ago, when radio host Dan Patrick pointed out to Knight that most of the leadership that was at the school when he was fired was gone, Knight said, “I hope they’re all dead.”

That was classic Knight: never wrong about anything, never moving past a fight and always — always — having the last word. Even with someone who had been dead for eight years.

Baylor’s small-school transfers have gone from bus rides and open gyms to No. 1

The last time Knight coached an Indiana team at Assembly Hall was Feb. 29, 2000, when the Hoosiers beat the Boilermakers, 79-65, to raise their record to 20-6. That turned out to be the last of Knight’s 662 victories at IU. Indiana lost its regular season finale at Wisconsin, then lost to Illinois in the first round of the Big Ten tournament and went down meekly, 77-57, to Pepperdine in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

As it turned out, that was a humbling end to a glorious 29-year tenure. Five months later, Brand, the school president, fired Knight after a series of incidents that began that March with former player Neil Reed saying Knight had choked him during a practice, Knight denying it happened and former assistant coach Ron Felling releasing a tape that showed Knight with his hand on Reed’s neck.

AD
Knight’s firing led to Brand being burned in effigy by Indiana students and outcry from many Indiana fans and alumni. Knight went on to coach at Texas Tech, where he broke Dean Smith’s record of 879 wins as a Division I college coach, finishing with 902. That mark has since been surpassed by former Knight player and assistant coach Mike Krzyzewski and Syracuse Coach Jim Boeheim.

Although Knight had success at Texas Tech — four NCAA tournaments and two Sweet 16s in seven seasons — seeing him there made me sad. Even though Texas Tech made the national championship game a year ago under Chris Beard, a protégé of Knight’s son Patrick, it is no more a basketball school than Indiana is a football school. When Knight was closing in on Smith’s record, Texas Tech took out newspaper ads practically begging fans to come to the games to see Knight make history.

In Indiana, Knight loved the passion people had for Hoosiers basketball. During the 1985-86 season I spent with him to research what became the book “A Season on the Brink,” Indiana held a preseason scrimmage in Fort Wayne. The building sold out.

AD
“No one else can do this,” Knight said as we walked onto the court that night and the crowd stood and screamed his name. “You think Purdue could do this? Maybe Kentucky, maybe North Carolina. Maybe. That’s the entire list. There’s nothing like the passion for Indiana basketball.”

That’s what made Knight’s self-imposed banishment from IU so sad. He had to keep getting the last word. And so, he appeared at Purdue; he did fan forums near the school but not at the school.

Knight is 79 now and hasn’t been in good health in recent years. He and his wife Karen moved back to Bloomington this summer, apparently because of the medical care he could receive there and, according to friends, because Knight wanted to be back in the place where he is most revered and cherished.

There’s little doubt that’s the reason he decided to finally return to Assembly Hall, against Indiana’s biggest rival, on a day when many players he pushed, cajoled and frightened into greatness were in the building.

AD
Knight has said and done some terrible things. He could be the worst kind of bully, often picking on people who weren’t in a position to fight back. But I believe he’s done a lot more good in his life than bad. In a college basketball world where it is often difficult to know who to trust, I know Knight never broke NCAA rules. I know it because I’ve known a lot of his players through the years — some of whom curse his name — but they will always tell you the rules were strictly followed in their recruitment and when they were at IU. I saw it up close during my winter in Bloomington.

That December, when Knight learned that Steve Alford had posed for a charity calendar — unpaid — he knew right away that Alford had broken one of the NCAA’s many petty rules. The Hoosiers were about to go on the road to Kentucky. Knight could have waited to self-report before Indiana played a lesser opponent or hoped no one would find out about such a minor violation.

He had Chuck Crabb, the school’s compliance officer, call the NCAA that day. The ruling was quick: one-game suspension. Indiana almost certainly would have beaten Kentucky with Alford in the lineup. Instead, Alford spent the five-point loss back home in Bloomington.

AD
Later in the season, Knight found out that some of the players were being given free gas. Before practice that day, he drove to the gas station and loudly told the owner if he ever heard again that he’d given a player so much as a pack of gum, he’d run him out of town. Then he told the players if they ever set foot in the place again, they’d be off the team.

On the final page of “A Season on the Brink,” I wrote this about Knight: “He will only be 46 years old. A young man with a bright future. If he doesn’t destroy it.”

He was the classic Shakespearean hero: tragically flawed, deserving of all the acclaim and adoration, but also deserving of the criticism and, later, the banishment.

Knight’s ending at Indiana was sad. His refusal to go back there for 20 years was sadder. His return should have come long ago,but I’m happy that it finally happened. Maybe Knight thinks the cheers will be his way of getting the last word one more time.

AD
It doesn’t matter. The prodigal son is finally home, better late than never.

The court in Assembly Hall would no doubt have been named for him (along with former coach Branch McCracken) years ago if not for his refusal to let go of his anger. Maybe now, it will be. It would be a happy ending. Despite all his flaws, Knight deserves that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...7a5e96-49eb-11ea-bdbf-1dfb23249293_story.html

CSB. Met Bob Knight in my hometown. He was kind enough to send me an autograph later. Was a nice guy, at least that night. I can’t remember if he was still with Texas Tech at the time or not.

Bobby Knight was kind enough to play
in a Golf Tournament that Lute Olson
had set up for a charity. The golf course
was in Iowa City. These two coaches
were fierce competitors on the basketball
court but were good friends on a golf
course.

The irony is as far as football coaches go Knight is probably very moderate Bo Schemnechler would probably be Knight times ten in terms of how hard he was on players.

my high school coach would routinely shake you by your face mask and knock you on your ass. Nobody thought anything of it

Reactions: MontyMufsnipher
Knight was always quietly doing something for disabled people or impoverished people quietly away from the press. He made all his players graduate and hated cheating

What did Knight always quietly do for impoverished people?

He would pay for inner city kids schooling out of his own pocket later in life. He was adamant they finish their degree and better themselves.

I’ll take your word for it. Doesn’t sound like the POS I remember.
Probably because you read a lot of holy sports writers like jay Marriotti who beat his wife or skip bayless who is abusive and an alcoholic.

Knight was a humble good man away from the heat of competition. The media as a whole is riddled with hypocrisy and the gullible amongst us swallow it whole

Reactions: MontyMufsnipher
Probably because you read a lot of holy sports writers like jay Marriotti who beat his wife or skip bayless who is abusive and an alcoholic.

Knight was a humble good man away from the heat of competition. The media as a whole is riddled with hypocrisy and the gullible amongst us swallow it whole

No. I watched him live a couple of games, and
on TV many times. He was a contemptible POS, and treated the Hawkeyes with disrespect. He was not humble.

Last edited:
Oh the Iowa vs IU deal

I’m viewing aside from the rivalry and off the court

He did pay the Hawks a great compliment in 87. He said he was glad to face unlv in the final four because Iowa was the best team in the country

if you remember the running rebels against iu everyone figured iu would have to slow it down. Knight studied tarks freak 2-3 zone and said no way. He outran unlv and beat them. Nobody but knight recognizes that 2-3 zone was the strength of unlv team. Except knight.

Probably because you read a lot of holy sports writers like jay Marriotti who beat his wife or skip bayless who is abusive...

So, Jay Marriotti and Skip Bayless are both useless because of stories you’ve heard of them being abusive, yet the actual video you have of Knight choking players and abusing and bullying everyone he came in contact with somehow leads you to think he’s a quality person. What a troll.

How is that a troll ? Marriotti beat his wife and this is easily linked. This is the POS who was passing judgement on Knight

So, Jay Marriotti and Skip Bayless are both useless because of stories you’ve heard of them being abusive, yet the actual video you have of Knight choking players and abusing and bullying everyone he came in contact with somehow leads you to think he’s a quality person. What a troll.

This. He was a bully who abused players. Not even Alford liked him.

Nobody but knight recognizes that 2-3 zone was the strength of unlv team. Except knight.

So, what you’re saying is that NOBODY besides Knight had any idea that the heralded UNLV Amoeba Defense, known nationwide and studied by every coach in the country, was something teams should worry about.

Sounds about right. Holy hell.

So, what you’re saying is that NOBODY besides Knight had any idea that the heralded UNLV Amoeba Defense, known nationwide and studied by every coach in the country, was something teams should worry about.

Sounds about right. Holy hell.
No dummy everybody in the country expected knight to slow the game down and run the motion offense against them but knight ran with a running team and succeeded

not surprising you fail to understand as you likely never played a sport

No dummy everybody in the country expected knight to slow the game down and run the motion offense against them but knight ran with a running team and succeeded

not surprising you fail to understand as you likely never played a sport

Ohhhhh...so when you said, “Nobody but knight recognizes that 2-3 zone was the strength of unlv team“, you really meant “Knight ran with the running team and succeeded”. Gotcha. It didn’t mean what all of those words are actually defined as. Of course. Why would anyone think that?

Ohhhhh...so when you said, “Nobody but knight recognizes that 2-3 zone was the strength of unlv team“, you really meant “Knight ran with the running team and succeeded”. Gotcha. It didn’t mean what all of those words are actually defined as. Of course. Why would anyone think that?
Lol

they were called the running rebels and their running game was the way they beat teams but knight saw their 2-3 zone as unrecognized strength.

he defied conventional wisdom by outrunning the running rebels

Of course you are tongue tied and will throw up some word salad

let me guess you were on the chess team and studied computer science

Complicated person. I ran my friend AJ Guyton’s kids clinic this morning as AJ went to the ceremony. I’m going to suggest, having been around Alford a bit, that Alford not liking Knight is as much or more an Alford thing as a Knight thing.

Lol

they were called the running rebels and their running game was the way they beat teams but knight saw their 2-3 zone as unrecognized strength.

he defied conventional wisdom by outrunning the running rebels

Of course you are tongue tied and will throw up some word salad

let me guess you were on the chess team and studied computer science

Your dumbness increases with each post. Yes. Never played or coached a sport in my life.

Complicated person. I ran my friend AJ Guyton’s kids clinic this morning as AJ went to the ceremony. I’m going to suggest, having been around Alford a bit, that Alford not liking Knight is as much or more an Alford thing as a Knight thing.

Knight and Alford are both ego maniacs.

Reactions: ctghawk
Great coach. Probably the best ever in terms of getting the most out of his players

he was also a good man who was wrongly maligned by the media
Good man? He's a bully...kind of like some other bully your worship.

Hey if you coached your daughters pee wee soccer team. Hats off to you

youth sports parents can be tough to deal with

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT