ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Hansen

Not doubting...just to say I would be disappointed in BH to tell a perfect stranger this...especially & considering his association with Fran & Iowa BB.

Can we get to fall practice?

Reactions: DanL53
Wagner will be a junior. Who's to say he doesn't take a big step forward? I wouldn't be surprised. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ellingson do the same. These are seasoned guys that have been through the grind. You could see it last year with Ellingson. Played much stronger on the floor, on both ends, looked more confident and made some big shots. As the Big Ten season grind gets in full mode, the cream will rise to the top lineup wise and I see these guys as being in that mix.

Wagner will be a junior. Who's to say he doesn't take a big step forward? I wouldn't be surprised. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ellingson do the same. These are seasoned guys that have been through the grind. You could see it last year with Ellingson. Played much stronger on the floor, on both ends, looked more confident and made some big shots. As the Big Ten season grind gets in full mode, the cream will rise to the top lineup wise and I see these guys as being in that mix.
Wagner and BE could easily take steps forward. But if it's in areas other than those they've shown themselves to be strong in, it will be a surprise. Wagner has been a strong and athletic defender who can get occasional timely buckets and rebounding bids fairly well. BE is a shooter who can be an intelligent although unauthentic ball handler and defender.

I guess what it comes down to is Wagner and BE have valuable but incomplete skills. They'll play, but their minutes are very vulnerable to younger teammates.

Wagner had some great moments on defense and finishing vs Wisconsin, but I don't see him stepping up much. He has occasional role as a defensive player/rebounder.

BE--- let's see if he can get his 3pt shot off when teams are focused on him. I don't think he has the athleticism to lose defenders and get open and makes shots at high volume. Would be nice to be wrong.

Reactions: papabeef
Wagner had some great moments on defense and finishing vs Wisconsin, but I don't see him stepping up much. He has occasional role as a defensive player/rebounder.

BE--- let's see if he can get his 3pt shot off when teams are focused on him. I don't think he has the athleticism to lose defenders and get open and makes shots at high volume. Would be nice to be wrong.

Why will teames be focused on him now more than last year?

Hes like the 7th or 8th scoring option on the team.

Reactions: papabeef and Ronman
Wagner gives 110% every minute he is on the floor and can guard multiple positions. He does not need to be spectacular, just defend, rebound and get his points when he can. He displayed a nice looking jumper in the PTL, so hopefully that translates to the line, where he was around 65% last year if memory serves. It's hard to keep effort and energy guys like him out of the lineup. Wagner is a better option than others against smaller, quicker lineups IMO.

Teams we play know Brady can shoot it. He opens things up by being on the court. Not many guys are going to sag off of him. If we can feed the post and pass out of the post we will be just fine on the offensive end. We have too many shooters who are a threat to knock down the 3.

Reactions: nu2u
Teams we play know Brady can shoot it. He opens things up by being on the court. Not many guys are going to sag off of him. If we can feed the post and pass out of the post we will be just fine on the offensive end. We have too many shooters who are a threat to knock down the 3.
Thats okay because there are plenty other guys on the floor that will open it up for him. Having two strong options at the 4 and 5 spots will make it very difficult to NOT sag off the shooters. Iowa has enough options now that it will be a pick your poison team to play.

I think he and Williams are Iowas best defenders and last year the D was not good enough to be in the NCAA. I think Garza will help. If you play those three and Baer and Moss you have an interesting unit on the floor (not starting). Something to think about. The kid is a great competitor and I hope Fran finds a way to maximize his skills.

It's easy to say so and so will get 10 minutes until you sit down and have to list out 40 minutes maximum by position.

It's pretty clear to me after doing that several times that, barring injury, Uhl, Williams, Wagner and Dailey will struggle to get over 5 mpg.

PG is the least crowded position and PF is the most crowded, so Williams has more of a chance than Wagner imo.

It's easy to say so and so will get 10 minutes until you sit down and have to list out 40 minutes maximum by position.

It's pretty clear to me after doing that several times that, barring injury, Uhl, Williams, Wagner and Dailey will struggle to get over 5 mpg.

PG is the least crowded position and PF is the most crowded, so Williams has more of a chance than Wagner imo.

I agree. It is very difficult.

The minutes, by average, won't even tell the whole story by the end of the season. Early on, in blow outs, some major players will see fewer minutes while backups get their chances to play. That's just one part of it.

The second part is injuries of course.

And then there is the fact that McCaffery isn't afraid to go with the hot hand. We will have games where a guy is playing well enough to go from five minutes on avg. to fifteen and scores double figures, or something similar of value.

And McCaffery prefers to keep players fresh throughout the season. He tighten's the lineup later in the year.

It really boils down to lineups, matchups, and keeping the best team on the court. Not an easy job, one reason Division One College Coaches earn their pay.

Agree with this but the team stats for minutes may look a little different. For the games they play in, Williams and Wagner may average over 10.

Minutes for the 2 Exhib games & the 3 states (Chicago, Alabama & Grambling)...should be lower for the top guys & higher for the ones fighting for playing time..

after that it gets real...IMO...the top 7 guys will play somewhere around 145 minutes total leaving 55 for the next 6 (which as DanL mentioned will vary from opponent to opponent, who comes off the bench with the hot hand, foul trouble, etc)....if a starter gets called for an early 2nd foul...we all know he sits...his replacement(s) will play more minutes.

How each sub plays in the early games, especially Cayman & AAC challenge...will impact his minutes against Penn State & Indiana in early December. The early B1G games change things a little.

2nd year in a row we have 1 senior..
..cant remember the last time 3 starters return who played as freshman the previous year.

Its possible the top 7 in minutes could be a freshman, 5 sophomores, 1 junior..
the next 6 (1 senior, 3 juniors, 1 soph, 1 freshman)...so much for leaning toward upperclassmen.

I do think that an older bench compared to your starters does allow for the possibility of consistent play off the bench. (Uhl, Wagner, Ellingson & Williams) have been thru 2 full B1G seasons...Dom 3.

Reactions: ZumaHawk and DanL53
not sure i follow..are u saying there may be games CW & AW wont play?
Possibly. But there are certainly games where they will play very little and others when they will play more than we expect. With this many talents that Fran is going to draw from (like it or not), that's how the numbers have to work.

If the half court offense continues to stagnate when Williams is at the point, I do believe his minutes will diminish. Hopefully he has a better handle on the offensive scheme this season. We need him to give Bohannon a rest occasionally.

I didn't watch PTL or European games, except for a few highlights. Those who saw a lot of play, is Ellingson or Williams the most likely back up at PG?

It is kind of funny to watch the posting trends on who will do what in the off season and preseason. It seemed like Nunge was going to be Freshman of the Year and be sure to get a lot of minutes during PTL. Now, after the European trip against "all stars", Garza is going to be Freshman of the Year and be sure to get a lot of minutes. I think both will play and contribute, but the returning guys have the advantage of having played in the B1G, where everything kicks up a couple of notches, especially physicality and intensity. Getting accustomed to the semi-lousy officiating in the B1G also can be a big adjustment. Freshmen tend to get called for a lot more stuff than guys who have played a while. I understand that there are only 200 minutes available, but there is something to be said for guys who make the team better without scoring many points or even without much ball handling ability. Until I see the coaches keep Wagner near the end of the bench, I still expect him to consistently get some minutes, and more than just a couple of minutes a half.

Reactions: nu2u
If the half court offense continues to stagnate when Williams is at the point, I do believe his minutes will diminish. Hopefully he has a better handle on the offensive scheme this season. We need him to give Bohannon a rest occasionally.

I dont think its his grasp of the offense, its the fact that he's 6'7 trying to play pg.

Theres hardly any pgs that size even in the nba.

Its just really hard to consitently handle the ball against guys of equal or better quickness that are 5 to 10 inches closer to the floor.

He needs to learn how to keep his body between the defender and the ball which is not the way most people play now.

I'm not sure what Fran McCaffery some of the posters have been watching the past few years. He hasn't shown in the past that he picks 7 guys that get 90+ % of the minutes every game all season. What makes anyone think he would suddenly do that now?
Wagner may not see the floor some games. In others he might get 15 minutes. Fran has demonstrated he can manage that. If the players are buying into it that's what matters.

Wagner gives 110% every minute he is on the floor and can guard multiple positions. He does not need to be spectacular, just defend, rebound and get his points when he can. He displayed a nice looking jumper in the PTL, so hopefully that translates to the line, where he was around 65% last year if memory serves. It's hard to keep effort and energy guys like him out of the lineup. Wagner is a better option than others against smaller, quicker lineups IMO.
Last year Wagner shot .463 from the FT line.

There's definitely a place for energy players, but how much playing time is the question. Will the sophomore Big's take an expected leap forward, or will some have a sophomore slump? Will Nunge and Garza be as good as advertised, and will they hit a freshman wall? If the Big's ahead of Wagner stay relatively healthy I'm not seeing double digit minutes for him, unless his game is at a new level this year. Can he make himself a good option at the 3? His playing time will probably reflect how he answers that.

Reactions: lovedwatchingLester
And if someone else hadn't scored, he wouldn't have had assists. That's nice, but a forward isn't on the court primarily for his passing.

Well considering he's been working on ball handling and creating for others being we have plenty of guys that can score, yes assist numbers and his defense are key to him improving his game and earning minutes.

Reactions: lovedwatchingLester
The Hawks have a great problem. They keep recruiting better players. That will continue the next two classes as well.

This team will most likely be a bit below avg on defense. Guys like AW and CW will find minutes every game just for what they bring on that side of the court.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
ya I cant see Hansen telling a perfect stranger that Wagner will be the odd man out...I agree if he did...that was really stupid.

Who said he was a perfect stranger?

Bobby has always been willing to share his thoughts like this with people, and I doubt if it will cause him to change. He's not a member of the coaching staff, he's a color commentator with strong opinions about Iowa basketball.

Who said he was a perfect stranger?

Bobby has always been willing to share his thoughts like this with people, and I doubt if it will cause him to change. He's not a member of the coaching staff, he's a color commentator with strong opinions about Iowa basketball.

who said he wasn't a perfect stranger?

IF he said Wagner is the odd man out...I'm sure Ahmad appreciates that comment.
I'm also sure Fran would appreciate allowing the process to unfold starting in October opposed to at the state fair in August.

Reactions: DanL53
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT