ADVERTISEMENT

BOOM: Iowa lands Virginia transfer Nick Jackson

band-muppets.gif

Very very good that really rounds out this class nicely and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them pick up a straggler or two over the next couple months at some position!

As Others have said, and of course that leads to people making fun but this preferred walk on class is insane and it sucks to have lost Proctor but in totality the coaches got it done!!

Last edited:
Very very good that really rounds out this class nicely and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them pick up a straggler or two over the next couple months and some position!

As Others have said, and of course that leads to people making fun but this preferred walk on class is insane and it sucks to have lost Proctor but in totality the coaches got it done!!
F&$k Proctor.

Iowa has done well in the portal this year. McNamara, All, and now Jackson are huge gets.

Seriously, this is a huge get at it position of need. Welcome aboard, Nick! A lot of defensive players getting drafted from Iowa. I’m sure you’ll fit in great.

Yes, between he and Higgins and I have a sneaking suspicion, we have some youngsters in the room that are probably going to show their face. I think we will still have an all conference linebacker type crew… With that said, you can’t teach 6-5! Jack’s size and length makes zone coverage that much more difficult to navigate!

I was never a Brian Urlacher fan, and in fact, thought he was drastically overrated but since he’s gone, and as I remember back, his speed, agility & size made him the Premier linebacker in the Tampa 2… I’m not sure anybody has, or ever will play it better!

Reactions: Bishop1971
While I'm very excited about Cade and Erick ... like everyone else ... my favorite part of football is defense.

To me, having Nick Jackson enter the fold ... he's a linchpin to everything.

For all our offensive transfer players to truly have their impact fully felt ... the Iowa D needs to be able to continue to do their thing! However, with Benson and Campbell graduating and with Jacobs transferring ... that was generating a glaring personnel-hole on the roster.

Bad transitions at LB often lead to sub-par defensive performances ... even when the other defensive position-groups are clicking. I already though that we had a really strong proven linebacker in Higgins ... but he's just a single person! Getting Nick on board not only helps keep the talent-level high ... but it also can supply the LB room with a multi-year starter who brings senior leadership to the table.

While we still need the new OLB (LEO LB) to perform at a high-level ... odds are that our base D (the CASH-based 4-2 front) has the pieces in place to be totally legit!

As many fans have rightly noted ... given the quality of Iowa's D in 2022 ... if our O was even competent ... we're looking at a group who would have only lost 2-games max. A competent O could have made either of the Michigan or OSU games far more competitive.

Looking to the 2023 season ... if the D can hold serve AND if the O can carry its own weight (which Cade suggests it can) ... then we're looking at an Iowa squad that has a legitimate shot at running through the regular season undefeated. Obviously, there are no guarantees ... and several games will be dog-fights, even if we're playing well. However, it is an exciting prospect to think that such a shot exists at all!

While I'm very excited about Cade and Erick ... like everyone else ... my favorite part of football is defense.

To me, having Nick Jackson enter the fold ... he's a linchpin to everything.

For all our offensive transfer players to truly have their impact fully felt ... the Iowa D needs to be able to continue to do their thing! However, with Benson and Campbell graduating and with Jacobs transferring ... that was generating a glaring personnel-hole on the roster.

Bad transitions at LB often lead to sub-par defensive performances ... even when the other defensive position-groups are clicking. I already though that we had a really strong proven linebacker in Higgins ... but he's just a single person! Getting Nick on board not only helps keep the talent-level high ... but it also can supply the LB room with a multi-year starter who brings senior leadership to the table.

While we still need the new OLB (LEO LB) to perform at a high-level ... odds are that our base D (the CASH-based 4-2 front) has the pieces in place to be totally legit!

Here, here….!!!

Reactions: Bishop1971
As many fans have rightly noted ... given the quality of Iowa's D in 2022 ... if our O was even competent ... we're looking at a group who would have only lost 2-games max. A competent O could have made either of the Michigan or OSU games far more competitive.

Looking to the 2023 season ... if the D can hold serve AND if the O can carry its own weight (which Cade suggests it can) ... then we're looking at an Iowa squad that has a legitimate shot at running through the regular season undefeated. Obviously, there are no guarantees ... and several games will be dog-fights, even if we're playing well. However, it is an exciting prospect to think that such a shot exists at all!
riley, vanness, campbell, and merriweather were all-conf type (or close to) players, so it’s given we won’t be as good on D as last year. but if you were to take a look at the personnel closely, what kind of drop-off are we looking at on D in 2023?

Reactions: HawkeyeHypocrisy
riley, vanness, campbell, and merriweather were all-conf type (or close to) players, so it’s given we won’t be as good on D as last year. but if you were to take a look at the personnel closely, what kind of drop-off are we looking at on D in 2023?
Obviously losing LVN hurts but I think Deontae Craig is going to step up and have a breakout season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT