ADVERTISEMENT

Boomers don’t get it

Yes. And then I pointed out that your comparison doesn’t take into account the real cost of homes to the average homebuyer, which is their payment. Whatever decrease in price results from higher interest rates (in relation to actual home cost to a buyer) is more than offset by the increase in their payments. Your point is stupid.
I am not sure how that relates to the "real cost" of homes. Are you simply referring to cashflow without consideration of principal and interest, as well as home value? Sounds like a great way to be poor and stay poor.

The laziest bastards I’ve ever worked with are boomers. My anecdotal evidence is different from yours.

Anecdotal evidence is strong in this thread and probably not indicative of proof that an entire generation is one way or another, I have to admit.
I will say however that Boomers had different experiences growing up as a whole. Our Dads were WWII vets who usually got a job and stayed in it, for many reasons that reflected a desire for security and safety that sprang from their Depression childhood and war action. Many or most of us had stay at home Moms. So Boomers were sort of expected to do the same. Huge upheavals because so many of us decided to do things differently than our parents and the fact so many of us went to college added to that desire for change.
The job/career success was all important but so many women in our age group went to college too - and we wanted to “have it all”. Also, I think ours was the last generation to follow what we jokingly called the IBM model - “I’ve Been Moved” - and if you wanted to “climb the corporate ladder” you moved every 2-4 years. We were in one place just 8 months. (Hey we almost moved to Davenport in 1980) Our son went to six different schools, but by golly his father made President of one of his company’s divisions at 45.
Remember, you have to realize how much this country grew in the post WWII era. That will never happen with my son today. He refuses to do that - and has done very well anyway.
That’s just one change I applaud with Boomers kids. They do seem to value the ability to stay planted.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
You realize that’s what I’ve been saying the whole time right? That real cost of home ownership, which the OP was saying is so much lower, is actually higher because of interest rates.
I haven't really read this whole thread. Define "real cost of home ownership."

100% I absolutely WISH I had that type of skill set. There are so many things I'd like to do along the same line that completely lack the knowledge, skills and equipment. I have been saying for years I think high schools should make some type of basic construction and auto mechanic classes a graduation requirement, do dumbasses like me are able to have a knowledge/skill base.
Like “shop” class in high schools? Standard up until the 70’s.
But now you can watch a YouTube video!

I blame it on HGTV. Gotta have quartz countertops with REAL hardwood floors and bathrooms with double vanities and you must have them before you turn 30!
There is truth here. We didn't buy our first house until we were 30. Carpet and Pergo as far as the eye can see, with cheap-ass builder's grade cabinets, etc. Never saw the point in double vanities. I have no interest in brushing my teeth at the same time as my wife.

Sounds good if we can wipe away the generational theft committed by boomers that wrote themselves checks to be cashed on society when they retire, constitutionally mandated they be paid, and made them drawn on the accounts of future taxpayers.
Read a history book. There was a big push in the 80’s to change SSI so that we could control our deduction for SSI into investments similar to 401’s that might pay more than what the government could give us when we retired, but there were politicians who whispered to seniors at the time (boomers grandparents) that their retirement was in jeopardy-and it was voted down. So now here WE are and that’s how it is.
Raise the retirement age, lift the ceiling on SSI taxable earnings and stop giving out the biggest fraud of all which includes disability and underage SSI.

100% I absolutely WISH I had that type of skill set. There are so many things I'd like to do along the same line that completely lack the knowledge, skills and equipment. I have been saying for years I think high schools should make some type of basic construction and auto mechanic classes a graduation requirement, do dumbasses like me are able to have a knowledge/skill base.

All of it can be learned. I have taught myself to do pretty much everything, related to restoring a house, over the past 3-4 years. Most of it is in books and on Youtube. You are correct that equipment is a significant part of the investment.

PS....it also helps to know a few GCs. I have two very good ones who are neighbors as well as my cousin who lives in another state. That said, 90% of what I have learned is from good YT channels, then verified in books and then a lot of hours of trial and error.

Last edited:
A dent? 20 hours a week at $15 an hour is $15,000 a year. Considering they could work 40 hours during the summer that’s low end

plus the expected family contribution.

plus we are only talking two years since they could have stayed home and done junior college for two years.

I put three kids through college Recently. Combination of public private and juco. We sacrificed and saved from the day they were born to help. Yes, we sacrificed some of life’s perks that most people in my income bracket enjoyed. Life is full of choices.

As a victim of the boomer generation I am still on target to retire at 59. No pension and a normal not great job.

Blaming an entire generation for your life’s choices is laughable. I AM A VICTIM. Roflmao.

I would love to audit people’s financial choices. I guess it shouldn’t surprise me. We have people buying whole life insurance and using financial advisors so that should have been a big hint.

My children are not gifted - the idea of working 20 hours a week while taking classes is completely out of the question. Not to mention school, for both of them, is a couple of hours away - so they would have to manage to transition from one job to another twice a year every year without skipping a beat in order to get in a reasonable number of weeks of work.

My son, in fact, joined the National Guard. The pay, plus a little bit of financial assistance that it provided, did make a dent. Especially given the several weeks each summer of drill time and one-year deployment.

No matter how much you choose to use this topic to signal your personal virtue, the fact is college is MUCH more expensive now, so the sacrifices you made would be insufficient for today's students.

Last edited:
All of it can be learned. I have taught myself to do pretty much everything, related to restoring a house, over the past 3-4 years. Most of it is in books and on Youtube. You are correct that equipment is a significant part of the investment.

I am constantly amazed at the things I can now accomplish thanks to YouTube. I was decently handy thanks to a father who taught me quite a bit. But I never would have tried repairing appliances, replacing a dishwasher or garbage disposal, etc. prior to YouTube. It seems anything that comes up that previously would have been a bunch of phone calls trying to get an expert out is, instead, just me watching YouTube then doing it myself.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
That's what another poster pointed out---I have no idea, just went off what they said.

Edit: I got the listings mixed up. He was talking about the 86K house needing 200K in renos.

Still, being married to a community you dont' want to be in, and where nobody else wants to be in is not a great recipe for future success--especially when you're having to dump a bunch of money into the property to make it semi-desirable.
That house does not need $200k in renovations to make it decent, safe, and sanitary. No way. In fact, as a first time homebuyer getting a mortgage you would get some protection on that from your bank as deficiencies like a failing roof would be vetted out during an appraisal and your homeowner's insurance wouldn't even lend on it. Besides, you should be paying for an inspection to reveal any issues up front.

Does that house need some upkeep? Yes, all starter homes do. But $200k would be an entire renovation along the lines of what you see on This Old House on Saturday mornings. Very unrealistic, yet so are the expectations these days.

Reactions: goldmom
And you pay less interest. For a $300K 15-year mortgage at 3.5%, while your monthly nut is $2,144.65, you pay $86,037 in interest over the full 15 years. Keeping everything the same, but changing it to a 30-year mortgage, while your monthly payment goes down to $1,347.13, you pay $184,966.80 in interest over the full 30 years.
I’ll take the 30, put the difference in a 401k, and hope I beat the bank.

I am constantly amazed at the things I can now accomplish thanks to YouTube. I was decently handy thanks to a father who taught me quite a bit. But I never would have tried repairing appliances, replacing a dishwasher or garbage disposal, etc. prior to YouTube. It seems anything that comes up that previously would have been a bunch of phone calls trying to get an expert out is, instead, just me watching YouTube then doing it myself.

I am going to fix, and pretty much overhaul, my 1990s era dryer. It is either a Maytag or Whirlpool. The belt is broken. I could easily pay someone but I'd rather spend a half day doing that because it will help me understand how to fix other things. I rebuilt my 6 year old Macbook recently for much the same reason. It works so well that I use it all the time and only occasionally use my months old Macbook. I am much more careful with the newer stuff b/c Apple made most of it near impossible to repair and they charge a small fortune if you take it to them to fix it.

I blame it on HGTV. Gotta have quartz countertops with REAL hardwood floors and bathrooms with double vanities and you must have them before you turn 30!
Well, you would have real hardwood floors in the houses I posted because both of those houses are wall to wall original wood floors, and not the cheap stuff the sell pre-finished these days. Plus, that second house has some of the most beautiful crafted woodwork with built in casements.

Seriously, there are some real gems out there built in the early 20th century that are so much better built and have so many details, and they are readily available in small towns all across America.

Another way to look at it:
Median house cost was less than 4x a minimum wage annual salary in 1976.

Today it is 24x.
Everything you are saying is absolutely correct, but you are not including one very important factor. Boomers, as a group (not everyone) just DGAF. As long as they get theirs, that's all that matters. I suspect that's why many of them refuse to leave their positions of power as well.

Try what again?

the starter homes of the 1970’s still exist. You can even buy them, fairly cheap. Nobody thinks they are good enough anymore.

feels like a matter of time before Dems promise free mortgages. Need lots of free stuff so they can afford to live without making difficult financial choices.
Cough, cough, full of scat. Tell the kids where those homes are.
Cough, cough, full of scat.

Yes. And then I pointed out that your comparison doesn’t take into account the real cost of homes to the average homebuyer, which is their payment. Whatever decrease in price results from higher interest rates (in relation to actual home cost to a buyer) is more than offset by the increase in their payments. Your point is stupid.
JFC. Go get laid, man. It appears you need it.

That house does not need $200k in renovations to make it decent, safe, and sanitary. No way. In fact, as a first time homebuyer getting a mortgage you would get some protection on that from your bank as deficiencies like a failing roof would be vetted out during an appraisal and your homeowner's insurance wouldn't even lend on it. Besides, you should be paying for an inspection to reveal any issues up front.

Does that house need some upkeep? Yes, all starter homes do. But $200k would be an entire renovation along the lines of what you see on This Old House on Saturday mornings. Very unrealistic, yet so are the expectations these days.

Only slight disagreement with this is that most inspectors are utterly clueless. If I was buying, first time and had to do all over again, either find an inspector who was previously a GC or pay extra for separate inspections by roofer, electrician and probably plumber. I might also include a foundation inspection depending on the age and location of the house.

Today:
Minimum wage: $7.25
Median home: $363,975

In 1976:
Minimum wage: $2.30
Median home: $44,200

That maybe looks reasonable? Here are the 1976 numbers in today’s dollars:
Minimum wage: $28.66
Median home: $220,390

Minimum wage is 1/4 the amount, and a house costs 1.67x more. Today a full-time minimum wage job pays $15,000/year. In 1976 it paid the equivalent of $59,600/year.

Now do that with gas, insurance, food, etc. I do very well financially (I’m just over 40), but I’m getting pissed hearing retirees complain about the lazy 20-somethings. These poor young people can barely afford to live. This is not sustainable. Study history...this is the stuff that leads to revolutions and turning away from capitalism.
You know median is not average?

"the typical value of U.S. homes is $269,039 as of January 2021,"

Which means more people have a better than average home

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
I doubt it.

It would only take 4% rate of return to beat the bank.

In your scenario, if you invested the difference for 15 years, with a 5% rate of return, you would have 211k. Your amount owed on the mortgage after that 180th payment would be right around 188k. Pay the mortgage off if you want and you come out 23k ahead.

Reactions: srams21
Only slight disagreement with this is that most inspectors are utterly clueless. If I was buying, first time and had to do all over again, either find an inspector who was previously a GC or pay extra for separate inspections by roofer, electrician and probably plumber. I might also include a foundation inspection depending on the age and location of the house.
I'd go for foundation, roof, & electric for sure and make sure the HVAC system works. Add in a Home Warranty paid by the seller (if possible) at close, which is peanuts, and you'll be covered for any major appliances or HVAC.

Oh, you don't know about all of these things? Well, there is a little book you are supposed to get when you visit the bank about buying your home (most don't read) and a wealth of knowledge on the internet.

When I was renovating my house in the 90's it was based of knowledge gleaned from This Old House TV and magazines and other publications like that. These days with YouTube people have no excuses. Everything is out there.

I am early years Gen X, graduated high school in the mid-80s. I paid my way through FSU working in restaurants. A kid today couldn't come close to doing that. I never had a penny of college debt. I am also fortunate to have no debt at all today, including home and car. I have absolutely no problem admitting that my generation has had it far better than Millennials and Zoomers. It does not trigger me in the least to acknowledge this.

As for Boomers, them not getting it is BAU. The world revolves around them as far as they are concerned. You are wasting your time trying to change them or their archaic thinking. Other than a very small handful of them, they will never evolve.

If you think Boomers are annoying, try spending some time around Silent Generation members. I saw some Silent Generation relatives a few weeks ago and they were complaining about LBJ and his welfare programs. Never mind that these two people are both on Medicare, the very welfare about which they were lamenting.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrunoMars420
I am early years Gen X, graduated high school in the mid-80s. I paid my way through FSU working in restaurants. A kid today couldn't come close to doing that today. I never had a penny of college debt. I am also fortunate to have no debt at all today, including home and car. I have absolutely no problem admitting that my generation has had it far better than Millennials and Zoomers. It does not trigger me in the least to acknowledge this.

As for Boomers, them not getting it is BAU. The world revolves around them as far as they are concerned. You are wasting your time trying to change them or their archaic thinking. Other than a very small handful of them, they will never evolve.
Compare a college campus today vs 30 years ago. The amenities are not even comparable. The exercise facilities and dining facilities are beyond belief. Lazy rivers and water slides included.

The arms race is being partially fueled by the easy access to government loans.

Last edited:
It would only take 4% rate of return to beat the bank.

In your scenario, if you invested the difference for 15 years, with a 5% rate of return, you would have 211k. Your amount owed on the mortgage after that 180th payment would be right around 188k. Pay the mortgage off if you want and you come out 23k ahead.
I doubt that he has the discipline to follow through with it, plus you are not factoring in taxes.

Compare a college campus today vs 30 years ago. The amenities are not even the comparable. The arms race is being partially fueled by the easy access to government loans.

This comes across as a very Boomerish argument. They hate when anyone has anything for which they didn't suffer endlessly. They had so much handed to them but they want everyone else to "earn it."

Reactions: Moral and littlez
This comes across as a very Boomerish argument. They hate when anyone has anything for which they didn't suffer endlessly. They had so much handed to them but they want everyone else to "earn it."
I call it cost analysis. You want stuff? You pay for stuff.

you can shit your pants 24/7 and cry victim all you want. What you also need to do is plan for the reality that is the world today. And I am not no boomer. I still have kids in college and speak from personal real experience.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I call it cost analysis. You want stuff? You pay for stuff.

you can shit your pants 24/7 and cry victim all you want. What you also need to do is plan for the reality that is the world today. And I am not no boomer. I still have kids in college and speak from personal real experience.

I'm sure the town in which your kids go to college has trailers. Put them there and then you won't have to shed a tear about modern standards of living.

Reactions: littlez
I'll tell you what, we recently took our son for a campus visit to Iowa. Wow has it gotten a LOT nicer in the last 25 years. We were pumped up for him and ready to go back to school! Hope he chooses Iowa so can he can reap it, and I will be happy for him.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
I'm sure the town in which your kids go to college has trailers. Put them there and then you won't have to shed a tear about modern standards of living.
Maybe someday you will be able to vote yourself enough money away from people so you can live the live you are not capable of planning for yourself.

Reactions: NCHawk5
Everything you are saying is absolutely correct, but you are not including one very important factor. Boomers, as a group (not everyone) just DGAF. As long as they get theirs, that's all that matters. I suspect that's why many of them refuse to leave their positions of power as well.
😂

I'd go for foundation, roof, & electric for sure and make sure the HVAC system works. Add in a Home Warranty paid by the seller (if possible) at close, which is peanuts, and you'll be covered for any major appliances or HVAC.

Oh, you don't know about all of these things? Well, there is a little book you are supposed to get when you visit the bank about buying your home (most don't read) and a wealth of knowledge on the internet.

When I was renovating my house in the 90's it was based of knowledge gleaned from This Old House TV and magazines and other publications like that. These days with YouTube people have no excuses. Everything is out there.

I bought in 2005. My inspection was a joke. I am a member of several old home restoration groups on FB and complaints about clueless inspectors is a monthly topic. If I ever buy again in Tampa, I now know of an excellent group of structural engineers who also do home inspections for home buyers. I have recommended them repeatedly to people moving here. If I buy somewhere else, it will be GC, electrician, etc., and as you added HVAC.

I used a mortgage company and not a bank. Does anyone use banks for home loans these days?

Last edited:
lol I have the discipline numb nuts I put away over twice that every month
Your thought processes and communication style displayed in this thread does not suggest you are currently maxing out your 401K, along with saving twice whatever else you were referencing. For your sake I hope I am wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT