ADVERTISEMENT

Bourbon Question

cfbfan23

HB Heisman
Mar 29, 2002
Going to a friend's 50th birthday party tomorrow. He's a big bourbon fan. I know nothing on the subject........I don't drink brown liquor. My budget is $150 max. What bourbon should I get him?

I don't drink brown liquor.

2UQwi9AJZdcP.gif

Honestly though, Four Roses (Single Barrel or Small Batch Select) is pretty good, reasonably priced ($50-60ish around me), and easy to find. That, Whistle Pig, and Buffalo Trace are all pretty popular. I’ve never bought the really high end stuff, so can’t speak to that.

Or find something unique that maybe he hasn’t had. Depending on where you’re at, find something local. That’s what I would want. Something new to try.

Going to a friend's 50th birthday party tomorrow. He's a big bourbon fan. I know nothing on the subject........I don't drink brown liquor. My budget is $150 max. What bourbon should I get him?
It depends on what you can find. If you ask your local liquor store what Allocated bourbons do they have.

They have some hidden. Blanton's or Eagle Rare.

If you can find a store pick of Maker's Mark, those are almost always worth the price. Usually fall in the $80-90 range. I'm also a fan of Four Roses Single Barrel, good pour for the price. Blanton's and Buffalo Trace are good if you can get them for the market price but they're usually highly sought after and a lot of places will jack up the prices on them.

My personally favorite, Cedar Ridge Quintessential and any of their different selections.

Cedar-Ridge-Quintessential-Single-Cask.webp

If y'all are going to mix with Coke or Pepsi then something relatively cheap and basic like Jack Daniels or Old Grand Dad 100 proof. However, if y'all are in the mood to chill and relax, I recommend something more smooth that you can sip it neat. Or perhaps on the rocks. For me it's Knob Creek 12. 12 year old bourbon. I think around $70 or $80 bucks. The 18 year old Knob Creek is bit beyond your budget, closer to $200.
A bottle of 12 YEAR Bourbon Whiskey

ready to turn this friday into a more fun friday?
Friday Funday!

All solid recommendations so far. I would add this one - Barrell Bourbon Cask Finish Series: Mizunara. About $90.

Barrell%20Cask%20Finish%20Mizunara.png
Different Barrell versions have started popping up on shelves around here. Haven't purchased one yet though. I think Dovetail and Seagrass were the ones I saw. Have you tried either of those?

Reactions: hawkeyeandy
Friday Funday!

Different Barrell versions have started popping up on shelves around here. Haven't purchased one yet though. I think Dovetail and Seagrass were the ones I saw. Have you tried either of those?
Haven't had those yet. But more varieties are coming out. It's nice to see.

Reactions: McLovin32
Bardstown bourbon county stout barrel is pretty unique, really good, and at the upper end of your price range. Might have to go to Illinois to get it. They get WAY more and better stuff than we get. Stuff that's allocated in Iowa is often on the shelf in Illinois.

Reactions: McLovin32
2UQwi9AJZdcP.gif

Honestly though, Four Roses (Single Barrel or Small Batch Select) is pretty good, reasonably priced ($50-60ish around me), and easy to find. That, Whistle Pig, and Buffalo Trace are all pretty popular. I’ve never bought the really high end stuff, so can’t speak to that.

Or find something unique that maybe he hasn’t had. Depending on where you’re at, find something local. That’s what I would want. Something new to try.

Angel’s Envy is delicious, At ~$60 a bottle, I like to have just the one, neat, before I switch to a Jim Beam Old Fashioned or ten thousand Coors Lites, depending on the occasion.

$150 is pretty good sized budget. I’d probably find one of the reliable $40-$60 brands like Woodford or Basil Hayden and get one of their high end products like a Reserve, Select, Single Barrel, 10 year, etc.

I’d recommend local but that can be hit and miss depending on your location.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
I flaked out when I got to the store....too many to choose from. I ended up going with this one upon the advice of the store owner, who's a good friend of one of my buddies:

i-w-harper-15-year-747ef3e6e09ad58458e02f696992888d-lg.jpg

And I got him a bottle of Jameson to honor his drunk Irish roots.
Well, at least he can pour it out and put some old crow in the glass bottle.

• Haha
Reactions: ferentzin04
I would second the Woodford Reserve nomination…an excellent choice.

We were at the distillery several years ago and they happened to have some double double oaked available. It was phenomenal. Only had it in 1/2 pint bottles. It was $85.

They only put out a small quantitiy every February now. And you have to go online and enter a lottery to get a chance to drive there and get in line and hopefully get one.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
Basil Hayden has some different varieties that are all pretty good. Somewhere between 30-50 dollars a bottle

my go to, though many real connoisseurs (not me) don't like it as being a little too mild
My relationship with bourbon is Jim Beam is fine with me. My kids sent me a bottle of Woodford Reserve for my birthday and it’s very good..excellent in fact.. but for me, gimme some Beam. Now Scotches (single malts) make me a little more adventurous.

Bourbon has good to great choices at numerous price points so hard to go wrong.
If looking to give a wow gift at the high end of your budget
Blanton's The Original Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey would be a great choice.

Fantastic Bourbon, a good showpiece for any home bar as the bottle is unique and the bourbon itself has a long history with a good story.

Edit--missed the post that you already picked one, good choice.

blanton_s_original_single_barrel_bourbon_whiskey_1.jpg

Last edited:
I’m sorry, but spending more than $50 for a bottle of bourbon is asinine. Now, you wanna talk scotch I’m here for it.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Call around to local liquor and grocery stores and find a decent store pick. Bourbon lovers love a good store pick.

Reactions: JWolf74
wtf is a store pick?
It's when the managers of a liquor store or grocery store have a sampling session with a specific distillery and subsequently pick a single barrel to be bottled specifically for their store. It adds a unique touch and also often means the bottles are going to be pretty dang good as long as the samplers/ selectors have any sense of taste.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT