ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl charters...

Kidhawk2.0

Scout Team
Sep 22, 2012
I am thinking about making arrangements to go to Iowa's bowl game. Can I get some info from the board on people that have used the group charter packages. I am wondering the cost & if you felt it was a good deal.

I've never gone the charter route, always just self-planned the bowl trip. To each his own, but I think you do better cost wise and just flexibility-wise doing it your own way (e.g. not waiting on the bus while someone finds drunk Phil). Just more flexible. But really personal preference. I do believe the seat you get via a package or the University will be worse than buying on your own.

The one really big advantage I see for the charters is the non-stop from Iowa to somewhere, and especially coming home when you just want to get home.

From what I've heard from folks if you want everything, including your itinerary planned out, the charter isn't a bad way to go, plus you'll be hanging out with Hawkeye fans pretty much the whole time. Personally, I'd book it myself, save money, and have flexibility. It's a bit more work though.

Charters are expensive. I realize it costs a lot to front the plane, schedule buses, activities and tickets and still try to make a buck, BUT when I went the charter route to our 1st Orange Bowl in the early 2000's I was disappointed as nothing was on time, the tickets were upper-corner end zone and the hotel was probably a 2.5 star in a seedy part of Ft. Lauderdale.
Then again, it wasn't for me because I like to schedule things on my own and not fly by someone else's seat of their pants, and then again...nothing was on time. Even pick up to the game was late by 30 minutes minimizing your 'free' beer and food that you had already paid for.

Charters are expensive. I realize it costs a lot to front the plane, schedule buses, activities and tickets and still try to make a buck, BUT when I went the charter route to our 1st Orange Bowl in the early 2000's I was disappointed as nothing was on time, the tickets were upper-corner end zone and the hotel was probably a 2.5 star in a seedy part of Ft. Lauderdale.
Then again, it wasn't for me because I like to schedule things on my own and not fly by someone else's seat of their pants, and then again...nothing was on time. Even pick up to the game was late by 30 minutes minimizing your 'free' beer and food that you had already paid for.
What was the cost (per person) and who was it with? Thanks

If Iowa plays in the Rose Bowl, then take the charter flight
that has the parents and family of the Hawkeye players.
There will be no delays or snafus on it. Usually, a travel
agency out of Cedar Rapids or Iowa City does this.
They take care of the hotel/motel arrangements which is
a big plus.

Been to 6 or 7 bowl games over the past 10 years. I took the charter to 3 of them and it works out really great but they have gotten crazy expensive. I have set up my own trip on the last three and though I have saved a lot of money, nothing beats going down with a big group of hawk fans all together. What's really fun about it is the wide range of people in the group, anywhere from 20 somethings to retired dr's all enjoying the trip together.

If you're on a budget, charter is probably not an option. If you do have the money though, splurge and enjoy the trip while someone else worries about all the details.

Reactions: LuteHawk
I have been to 7 of last 9 bowl games and always book myself. Much cheaper.

I am thinking about making arrangements to go to Iowa's bowl game. Can I get some info from the board on people that have used the group charter packages. I am wondering the cost & if you felt it was a good deal.
If you have discretionary income go the charter route if not take a little extra time and save a s load of money.

I’ve been to several bowl games, and getting tickets on the open market is always cheaper and you get much better seats. For the ’91 Rose Bowl, I originally got tickets through the University. Once I got to California I bought and sold better tickets three times. I ended up with 40 yard line seats and an extra $80 in my pocket. It helped that neither of the LA teams were playing.
Unless we’re talking about one of the playoff games, tickets are never an issue.

Reactions: Pepperman
This is probably a stupid question. The last bowl (the Insight in Phoenix against Oklahoma) we went to we did it ourselves. Good quality tickets were easy to procure directly from the bowl website. We had a great time (other than the final game outcome of course).

The question is what's the best way to secure tickets to one of the big time bowls if you're doing it yourself? We've been looking putting together our own Rose Bowl trip. We really don't want to spend nearly $10K for the wife and I to spend four days in Pasadena. The Rose Bowl opened up tickets sales to the general public a few weeks ago and when we started looking they seemed to have been snatched up quickly (a week after they went on sale to the general public). I assume every company that puts these packages together has already purchased nearly every worthwhile ticket. How does one buy game tickets of decent quality and price to the Rose without going through a third party/broker or is tickemaster or stubhub the best route? Is there one that's better than others? What happens if we purchase tickets and it ends up Iowa goes somewhere else? I've never purchased tickets that I didn't use so is going through a broker to resale pretty easy? We're lifelong Hawkeye fans but not alums and see this as potentially (lets hope not) a one time shot during our time left.

Again, sorry for what others might think are stupid questions. I'm sure if we have them others will as well. Signed, Bowl Noob

Hasthawk, in general (*) you won't ever have problems getting good seats for bowl games either via scalpers or online sites like Stubhub.

It will be a pain in the ass to sell tickets you don't need. I'd venture to guess you won't get your money back.

* I say "in general" because the deluge of Hawkeye fans going to the Rose Bowl if that happens will be unlike most games. I'd guess it could be 70% Hawk fans in that crowd if it happens. Of course, a semi-final we'd be turning out in size as well, but probably couldn't secure that much of the stadium.

Reactions: HASTHAWK
This is probably a stupid question. The last bowl (the Insight in Phoenix against Oklahoma) we went to we did it ourselves. Good quality tickets were easy to procure directly from the bowl website. We had a great time (other than the final game outcome of course).

The question is what's the best way to secure tickets to one of the big time bowls if you're doing it yourself? We've been looking putting together our own Rose Bowl trip. We really don't want to spend nearly $10K for the wife and I to spend four days in Pasadena. The Rose Bowl opened up tickets sales to the general public a few weeks ago and when we started looking they seemed to have been snatched up quickly (a week after they went on sale to the general public). I assume every company that puts these packages together has already purchased nearly every worthwhile ticket. How does one buy game tickets of decent quality and price to the Rose without going through a third party/broker or is tickemaster or stubhub the best route? Is there one that's better than others? What happens if we purchase tickets and it ends up Iowa goes somewhere else? I've never purchased tickets that I didn't use so is going through a broker to resale pretty easy? We're lifelong Hawkeye fans but not alums and see this as potentially (lets hope not) a one time shot during our time left.

Again, sorry for what others might think are stupid questions. I'm sure if we have them others will as well. Signed, Bowl Noob
Get your flight,rooms booked and the worst scenario is you and the Mrs spend some quality time where it will be a heckuva lot nicer than around here.

Just one other thing to add to my earlier post. We always would buy our own tickets to the game even when going through a charter. The charter's tickets usually aren't very good and you can choose the option to not use one of their tickets when booking the trip.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT