ADVERTISEMENT

Explain to me why Phil Parker gets a pass…

To the original post, let's forget previous seasons, previous stats, and let's just focus on the last drive of the game.

To not protect the sidelines when a team has zero timeouts is hard to fathom from a great defensive coach/team. That's pretty much situational football 101. Don't let them advance the ball up the field unless they are going to pay :08-:10 for each play.

My second beef goes back to the Purdue point made earlier. Bell somehow managed to torch us his senior year when everybody knew that was the only way they were going to hurt us.

We needed 5 DBs in the game and sideline protection on the last drive.

He gets a pass for me because he has the smarts to bench a 5* starter who sucked and gave up a TD.

If only KF could see adapt that concept concerning QBs.

He gets a pass for me because he has the smarts to bench a 5* starter who sucked and gave up a TD.

If only KF could see adapt that concept concerning QBs.
I think that doesn't come down to one play. As I said he pulls X when we play the base 4-3. How often would you see that happening to a 3rd year 5 star? I think PP knows what he has, and does not have in X at this point, and I think he would have been passed already as a starter if KE hadn't been injured..

The D wasn’t bad in the first half, though. Right?

It seems to me Iowa State made halftime adjustments and Parker throughout the second half didn’t or couldn’t.

Frankly, that seems to happen a lot when Iowa plays a quality offense. Eventually, when they figure out weaknesses in Iowa’s base defense, they exploit it and never look back. When David Bell was at Purdue, Purdue made an art form of making Phil Parker look silly. Thankfully, Iowa rarely played decent offenses being able to hide in the Big Ten West back in the good ol’ days.
I don't think it was adjustments, it was three broken coverages. Maybe ISU saw something to run the boot on their first TD drive. The second TD and the wheel up the sideline on the final drive where just flat out busted coverages that would be bad at virtually any level of football.

I see an issue with our coverage packages. Nebraska beat us deep in '22 and 23 for TDs. Iowa State did it yesterday. I don't blame the players, they line up as they are instructed. The defensive staff needs to get this figured out or opponents who have good quarterbacks and receivers will beat us long all season.

We are SO spoiled by Phil's defense that people are actually bitching about giving up 20 points when our offense missed multiple opportunities to put the game away.
You can't stop every play the other team runs. They're going to score. So you have to make some of your own. THAT is where this (and many other) games have been lost under Kirk.

Reactions: Champ_Kind_whammy
Generally I give Phil the pass because KF's philosophy is complimentary football. Defense and special teams usually live up to their end of the bargain, we all know the offense rarely does. There were some plays today where the defense got burned and Phil shouldn't get a pass for that. But today, like many losses, the level of offensive incompetence and conservative nature outweighs any misgivings by the defense.
Well said!👍

Reactions: jdw10224405
A lot of head scratching decisions with play calling, clock management, and in-game decisions no doubt. So, I am not discounting that.

With that said…

Iowa State has the ball around their own twenty with no timeouts and under a minute to go. In that scenario, would you not set up your defense to cover the sidelines, especially the deep thirds, and try to force everything underneath and over the middle of the field? I only ask because it seemed to me, from what I could see at least, that Iowa was still in their base defense and left the sidelines wide open, which included that easy pitch and catch for a ridiculous gain that put Iowa State in field goal range.

I mean, am I wrong in wondering WTF the end game strategy was on that last Iowa State drive? I have never seen a defense so incompetent on a final drive in which they have every advantage given the offense has no timeouts and has to go at least 45-50 yards for a realistic chance at a field goal. There was no gimmick play or some random dumb luck that allowed Iowa State to get into field goal territory. It was simply a matter of them taking advantage of Iowa’s gross incompetence at the end of the game.

For a defense that is supposedly elite, I find what happened on that final Iowa State drive completely inexcusable. And I am not sure why Phil Parker gets a pass on that. Someone explain it to me.
He doesn't, like KF feasts on weak teams and running clock out, then gets exposed vs real teams or even OK teams like ISU. Media swallowed the elite D thing but most know it's all BS. This D isn't or hasn't been any better than Minny or Whisky. But their O's at least try to score and not run clock. Like Cowturd said 'fake ID'.

We are SO spoiled by Phil's defense that people are actually bitching about giving up 20 points when our offense missed multiple opportunities to put the game away.
You can't stop every play the other team runs. They're going to score. So you have to make some of your own. THAT is where this (and many other) games have been lost under Kirk.
Spoiled by a lightweight schedule. This D is awful vs good teams. Rather obvious.

There were a lot of problems leading up to the final series in question, but I would agree with OP that this was not one of Phil's finer moments,.. The running clock was our friend and any potential reception needed to be covered and, if necessary, tackled in bounds...

He doesn't, like KF feasts on weak teams and running clock out, then gets exposed vs real teams or even OK teams like ISU. Media swallowed the elite D thing but most know it's all BS. This D isn't or hasn't been any better than Minny or Whisky. But their O's at least try to score and not run clock. Like Cowturd said 'fake ID'.
you wrote a reasonable (bolded) first sentence and then followed it up with pure bs. so nod to the first but nah to the second.

I hope in one of the responses in here, there was because he has earned a pass. Two plays really. TJ Hall had the pick in the end zone but the receiver took it from him. Then of course #1 getting torched with his eyes in the wrong place.

Explain.

Is Iowa’s defense elite or not?
Iowa's NEVER had an "elite" defense. Good? Sure. Very good? Why not. But I wouldn't call it "elite" or "great". It's good enough to hang around with Penn State and maybe even Michigan last year had Iowa even pretended to field an offense, but the relative lack of depth and athleticism reared its ugly head against Tennessee. The Vols exposed the Hawks in ways that even PSU and U-M couldn't. They toyed with Iowa for four quarters and there wasn't a blessed thing the Hawks could do about it.

Iowa's got a statistically great defense because they don't play a lot of good offenses. Iowa's offense was historically bad last year, but they weren't the only B1G with a crappy offense. In addition to Iowa, five other B1G teams finished 100th or worse in PPG last season (Indiana, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern) and Rutgers just barely avoided triple digits (98th). Wisconsin, Illinois, and Purdue couldn't crack the top 80. Yeah, the B1G is still very much a "three yards and a cloud of dust" league when virtually everyone else flings the pigskin around with reckless abandon.

Long story short, truly elite defenses challenge elite offenses. Iowa rarely faces elite offenses, and even more rarely succeeds when they do.

It's not an elite defense. They are good, but not elite. Stats get pumped up by playing a lot of mediocre teams. They get burned by competent quarterbacks and receivers.
agree on not elite...we don't have the recruits to be elite. missing a stud DE badly this yr. have to give Ia State credit. their qb and wr's were the best on the field by a wide mrgin.....Iowa needs to do a much better job in talent evaluation at those positions.

A lot of head scratching decisions with play calling, clock management, and in-game decisions no doubt. So, I am not discounting that.

With that said…

Iowa State has the ball around their own twenty with no timeouts and under a minute to go. In that scenario, would you not set up your defense to cover the sidelines, especially the deep thirds, and try to force everything underneath and over the middle of the field? I only ask because it seemed to me, from what I could see at least, that Iowa was still in their base defense and left the sidelines wide open, which included that easy pitch and catch for a ridiculous gain that put Iowa State in field goal range.

I mean, am I wrong in wondering WTF the end game strategy was on that last Iowa State drive? I have never seen a defense so incompetent on a final drive in which they have every advantage given the offense has no timeouts and has to go at least 45-50 yards for a realistic chance at a field goal. There was no gimmick play or some random dumb luck that allowed Iowa State to get into field goal territory. It was simply a matter of them taking advantage of Iowa’s gross incompetence at the end of the game.

For a defense that is supposedly elite, I find what happened on that final Iowa State drive completely inexcusable. And I am not sure why Phil Parker gets a pass on that. Someone explain it to me.
At least PP benched X when he f'd up on that deep ball. KF will never bench the QB when they are just playing horrible.

PP will have the defense corrected for this weeks game, i have little to no faith in the offense being different.

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
At least PP benched X when he f'd up on that deep ball. KF will never bench the QB when they are just playing horrible.

PP will have the defense corrected for this weeks game, i have little to no faith in the offense being different.
Lol. Another that assumes the DC decides who plays on defense and the HC decides who plays on offense.

You guys reveal yourselves without even knowing it

• Haha
Reactions: AEG82
I agree the Iowa offense is mediocre and would be flat out atrocious if not for Kaleb Johnson.

Iowa did pick up one first down, thanks to Kaleb Johnson’s legs, before punting and handing it over to the defense with under one minute to go and the opponent without timeouts (thanks to Iowa picking up that one first down).

Still, none of that answers my question.
Clock management killed us again as well. Why TF did KF take a timeout with 1min and so many seconds left in the 1st? Even the announcers were like "ISU took a... wait, that was Iowa that called TO...".

KF is a horrible clock manager and has been since day1.

Reactions: acuhawk
Whether Phil should get a pass or not is kind of irrelevant. The old strategy of relying on the defense and special teams to keep winning games has jumped the shark.

The staff should internally be pushing Kirk away from that approach... but we all know it would be for naught.
This gets to the heart of the issue here. Kirk leans on the defense to hold serve or get the win. When they have a letdown like in the second half they take a share of the blame for the loss. I trust Phil to analyze what went wrong and adjust accordingly. Game mismanagement at the macro level lost this game.

Last edited:
Lol. Another that assumes the DC decides who plays on defense and the HC decides who plays on offense.

You guys reveal yourselves without even knowing it
No offense, but KF has stated on multiple occasions that he lets Phil and his coaches do their thing with the D and he gravitates to the offense based on his background. Lots of coaches do that on either side. Defensive minded head coaches tend to gravitate to the defense and let the OC do their thing and make the decisions and offensive coaches do the opposite.

I'm pretty sure KF isn't going to override Phil on which strong safety to play. But he's absolutely going to have final say on the QB as it's the most important position on the field and it's the side of the ball that's in his wheelhouse.

The defense gave up 20 in a half. Not good by any definition. Our D-line rarely got any pressure on their QB in the second half. We miss Joe Evans a lot more than I thought we would. Isu really doesn’t have a great O- line.
They gave up 20 points the entire game. Good by any definition. ISU made some good adjustments and their QB and wide receivers made some great plays. The problem is that Iowa can't score 20 points against any defense with a pulse. Any competent offense finds a way. Iowa is not that.

Reactions: AEG82
yes Heacock > Phil Parker because he snuck his safties into box because Iowa couldn't pass the ball. what a genius. He should win the Broyles award.

They gave up 20 points the entire game. Good by any definition. ISU made some good adjustments and their QB and wide receivers made some great plays. The problem is that Iowa can't score 20 points against any defense with a pulse. Any competent offense finds a way. Iowa is not that.
This is the answer. This is objectively true. This is our burden.

To the OP, he shouldn't

That final possession you have to push everything in to the middle of the field. We not only got beat, we got beat down the sideline.
I agree.

I am still shocked any one player was given the opportunity to be beat down the sideline. Cover the sidelines and keep everything in front of you.

That last drive was textbook on what not to do defensively.

Unbelievable.

To the OP, he shouldn't

That final possession you have to push everything in to the middle of the field. We not only got beat, we got beat down the sideline.
Great point. They not only knew they were throwing, but knew they had to be sideline area throws. The field of play they could operate in was very limited and we still got our asses beat.

One thing I am certain of ... if Parker dropped dead from a heart attack today. Kirk would replace him with someone far worse.
KOK = bad
Greg Davis = worse
BF = Emperor of clown world
Tim Lester = not sure, but it ain't lookin good.

He doesn't, but logic would dictate that he's correct in his assumptions.
Plus, there are statements like this from today.

Koen Entringer says SS Xavier Nwankpa remains #1 on the depth chart, he's #2.

“I’m still in the same spot, yeah. ... That's Coach Parker's decision. I've just got to focus on how can I develop as a football player, how I can grow as a football player and be ready for whenever my number is called.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT