ADVERTISEMENT

Explain to me why Phil Parker gets a pass…

You don’t think our offense is looking much better already?
Better, yes. (it's a pretty low bar). Much better, no. One good half against an FCS team and one decent half against a P5 team followed by an epic collapse.

Better, yes. (it's a pretty low bar). Much better, no. One good half against an FCS team and one decent half against a P5 team followed by an epic collapse.
The collapse was as much our defense as it was the offense in the second half against isu.

The collapse was as much our defense as it was the offense in the second half against isu.
We couldn’t punch the ball into the end zone twice with first and goal from inside the 5… once which was from the 1.

The D didn’t hold up late but you can’t piss away scoring opportunities that your D handed you either.

The defense gave up critical plays, no doubt. But this game could have been out of reach with decent offensive play in the 2-4th quarters.

Last edited:
Reactions: ButtersHawk
You don’t think our offense is looking much better already?
Well you can't have it both ways.
After someone attacks the coaches, your club says, "Judging so and so after 2 games, why don't you wait until the season is over." So you want me to declare him an upgrade after 2 games. Not gonna do it.
What is fair?
Judging someone on their 25 yr resume is fair. And acknowledging that 3 different OCs have never come close to matching the accomplishments of the defense, is fair. And acknowledging that Kirk had no intention of firing BF is fair. And acknowledging that WRs who could've helped the offense ended up at K-state, Purdue, Nebraska and Oklahoma state is fair. And wondering if Jazz and Seth are really as sick as the narrative claims is fair.

We couldn’t punch the ball into the end zone twice with first and goal from inside the 5… once which was from the 1.

The D didn’t hold up late but you can’t piss away scoring opportunities that your D handed you either.

The defense gave up critical plays, no doubt. But this game could have been out of reach with decent offensive play in the 2-4th quarters.
I was referring to the second half.

Well you can't have it both ways.
After someone attacks the coaches, your club says, "Judging so and so after 2 games, why don't you wait until the season is over." So you want me to declare him an upgrade after 2 games. Not gonna do it.
What is fair?
Judging someone on their 25 yr resume is fair. And acknowledging that 3 different OCs have never come close to matching the accomplishments of the defense, is fair. And acknowledging that Kirk had no intention of firing BF is fair. And acknowledging that WRs who could've helped the offense ended up at K-state, Purdue, Nebraska and Oklahoma state is fair. And wondering if Jazz and Seth are really as sick as the narrative claims is fair.
Yes, the offensive line has now matured (most importantly physically), which is a big part of why what any coach wants to do actually has a chance of working. But if you can't tell that the offense, under Lester, is better (and will be even better) than it has been the last couple years, I don't know what to tell you.

Better than Brian's tenure, overall, is an entirely different story. But there's a lot pointing to the chances that Iowa is a better coached offense with Lester. And although I think Lester has to find his identity as a play-caller this season, I think he has a better feel for it than BF.

Asserting that KF had no intention of firing BF is not fair. You have no way of knowing that.

Wondering if Jazz and Seth are really as sick as reported is not fair. What would give you reason to think otherwise?

I agree with the general sentiment of the thread. Here's my general impressions in summary:
1. D was OK in this game, but had major second half lapses
2. Running game was solid, early but tailed off late. Probably due to
3. Passing O was awful. Outside of q1 which was spectacular for Iowa, but just OK for an average O.
4. QB 1 continues to be outstanding in the worst way. Most other competent teams would have gone to qb2.

The D was and is far from perfect. But it is so much better than the O.

There was a great analogy posted by someone in another thread. Paraphrasing, the Iowa O is like a sedentary, overweight amateur that could make big health gains early if they just get their sh!t together start lifting weights, doing cardio and eating better. The Iowa D is like the long-standing athletic individual trying to stay in top shape but struggling at times.
It SHOULD be a hell of a lot easier for the really low performer to show significant improvement.

Phil had a bad day today made worse by major mistakes by our guys.

I'm still going to be mad at the offensive play calling and our entire clock management first. Everyone sucked after the first quarter. Everyone.

Everyone except Castro, Stevens, Wetjen and Johnson.
Castro was the guy who messed up on the 30 yard completion that set up the winning FG.

I still refuse to blame the D for this loss, though that's the easy optic with the last drive. 20 points is not that much to give up to a team. 115 of 130 FBS teams averaged 20 points/game last season. The median was 27 points/game. Our perspective is skewed by the history of IOWA's outstanding defense under Phil. We expect a TOP 10 defensive performance.

The problem is the offense, it always has been the offense under KFz. (with a very few exceptions) Saturday was no different. If the offense does its job for the last 2 1/2 quarters the game is out of reach. That game was lost when the offense didn't close out in the second quarter twice from inside the 5 yard line. 2 ouf of 3 pass plays both times and not one give to your best RB. We kept them in it.

Tomorrow there will be no excuse.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT